Notices

Yakkity's Movie and Celeb Central Check out our movie selection and don't forget to pick up the latest celebrity news and gossip!

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
LittleMama
Yakkity Special Correspondent

My Mood: Lurking
Groans: 19
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Exclamation Avatar

I saw this last night, so look out for the review really soon.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I feel so loved.

LittleMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

My Mood: Devilish
Thanked 5,977 Times in 4,271 Posts
Groans: 260
Groaned at 138 Times in 129 Posts

i'm really curious...

Mystycl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
LittleMama

Thumbs up Avatar Review

Science meets greed in this gloriously-filmed movie from director James Cameron. It's been in the works for several years- only taking a backseat to wait for technology to catch up to his vision.

And what a vision it is!

Avatar focuses around the planet, Pandora, inhabited by the Na'Vi: a beautiful, graceful People who are connected to their planet, its wildlife and its overall flora...literally.

However, the Na'Vi are threatened by the people from Earth- who are there mining a precious metal that was discovered while doing scientific research on the planet and its inhabitants. The military, who are there to keep the Na'Vi 'at bay' while their planet is mined, thinks of the Na'Vi as savages- even though they're only protecting their land.

There's also another side to this story: Sigourney Weaver is excellent in her role as a scientist (Dr. Augustine)- hoping to have a good relationship with the Na'Vi. She's developed a way to incorporate and learn the way of the Na'Vi by creating Avatars: a human/Na'Vi hybrid that can be accessed by linking a human neurally with their own Na'Vi- who can breathe the air and walk alongside the people.

Enter Jake: an ex-Marine who is paralyzed from the waist down and is called on to take over from his now-deceased identical brother- already trained in the Na'Vi culture and language.

The special affects are unbelievable! You're literalling 'Oohing' and 'Aaahing' all through the film; you also want to visit some places on Pandora- until you realize that it doesn't exist! The Floating Mountains will make you scared of heights, and the people will make you believe.

(See This: the Mountain Banshees. They're awesome!)

I can't say too much without telling the film, but I have to say this: see it in 3-D!

Yaks:

I give this movie (4 out of 5 Yaks) Why not 5? Because the bad guy in the movie was too bad and his character kinda sucked to the point that it almost made him cheesy.

I feel so loved.

Last edited by LittleMama; 01-05-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Elizabeth
Senior Yakster

My Mood: Pensive
Groans: 2

I saw this movie over the weekend with my husband and 12-year-old son. They liked it better than I did. The special effects were spectacular and the color was beautiful. An amazingly beautiful, visual movie. However, in my humble opinion, the storyline was almost identical to "Dances with Wolves"! Not that "Dances" wasn't a good movie -- but, been there, done that. Plus, it was really long. I was ready for it to be over when there was still at least 45 minutes left in the movie. All that said, my husband and son definitely want to buy the movie when it comes out on DVD -- they loved it.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

My Mood: Dead
Thanked 4,558 Times in 2,960 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 181 Times in 153 Posts

I lost interest when I saw a scene in which the blue people have to plug their pony tails into giant birds to fly.
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
LittleMama

See, YD, I liked that. I liked that they were connected to their own land. And it wasn't their hair that was attaching itself.

I feel so loved.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

My Mood: Amused
Thanked 7,443 Times in 5,663 Posts
Groans: 618
Groaned at 1,018 Times in 935 Posts

Mama ... wanna type it up and we can put it on the front pag???

LOVED this movie, myself!

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next

M.D.
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

My Mood: Devilish
Thanked 5,977 Times in 4,271 Posts
Groans: 260
Groaned at 138 Times in 129 Posts

wingz, i thought she did pretty well in that post.... isnt that what she was doing it for?
or am i eating too many again?

Mystycl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
MaryS.
Senior Yakster

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw it (in 3D) and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Yes, the storyline wasn't super spectacular, but I still really like it. The effects were truly amazing...

Good review LM!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

My Mood: Amused
Thanked 7,443 Times in 5,663 Posts
Groans: 618
Groaned at 1,018 Times in 935 Posts

Mysty, I asked her because if I did it, it'd be published under my name. Want her to have the glory, not me

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next

M.D.
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote