Navigation » YakkityYaks - Big Brother 16 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers! > Yakkity's Reality > All Other Reality TV > American Idol > American Idol Seasons Past » Nigel Lythgoe to return to AI and completely revamp the Judges panel??

Notices

American Idol Seasons Past Everything AI from previous seasons

American Idol

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

My Mood: Amused
Thanked 7,027 Times in 5,372 Posts
Groans: 608
Groaned at 1,013 Times in 930 Posts
Default Nigel Lythgoe to return to AI and completely revamp the Judges panel??

If this is the case, THANK GOODNESS! I have been waiting to see Kara leave and Randy find something new to do. Nigel has done wonders for SYTYCD and if anyone might be able to save Idol after Simon leaves, it could be him.

Quote:
Two years after he quit, Nigel Lythgoe may be set to return to 'American Idol,' and word is that he's ready to clean house.

According to 'The Hollywood Reporter,' "Nasty Nigel" is close to signing a deal with Fox to be named executive producer. It's reportedly part of the network's "master plan to reboot the show" following declining ratings and mega-judge Simon Cowell's recent departure. And the seats at judges' table are, it would seem, ALL up for grabs under a new regime.

Execs have been scrambling to fill Cowell's chair with a high-profile music industry insider, and the many names so far linked with the spot have included Sean Combs, Quincy Jones, Bret Michaels and Harry Connick, Jr.

The previous front runner was thought to be singer Chris Isaak, but it's now rumored that at the top of 'American Idol' chief Simon Fuller's wishlist are Elton John and Justin Timberlake. And that although Fuller's been after Elton John for some time -- so far unsuccessfully -- Lythgoe could be the one to sign him, or even him and Timberlake.

But what happens to the current judges? Lythgoe told a reporter in April that if he was in charge at 'American Idol' he'd replace all of them, and he also criticized the decision to up the number of judges from three to four, saying it was "distracting" for the viewers. He's on record as saying that his choice as judges would be: Elton John (him again), Paula Abdul and Usher.

Rumors have been circulating for weeks that Fox and Fuller want to get rid of all the judges, and it's been noted that newbie Kara DioGuardi's one-year-at-a-time deal hasn't yet been renewed, and that Randy Jackson's only got one year left on his contract. Getting rid of Ellen DeGeneres could be tricky as she signed a multi-year deal with Fox, and a source close to her says she's prepared to fulfill her contract with 'American Idol.'

Originally a dancer and choreographer, Lythgoe worked his way through the TV industry in the U.K. until in 2000 he became famous as the outspoken head judge on talent show 'Popstars.' He later worked with Simon Fuller to create the hit show 'Pop Idol,' which they turned into a worldwide TV franchise, including 'American Idol.' Lythgoe ran the show for seven seasons before he left to launch 'So You Think You Can Dance,' where he's also a judge. So far there's been no word on whether he'll have a seat at the revamped 'Idol' judges' table.

But the clock's ticking to get it all wrapped up. 'American Idol' auditions have already begun taping with the current judges in place and Peter Rice, new entertainment chairman at Fox, said that he expects the new judge (or judges?) to be out on the auditions roadshow in early September. Lythgoe and Fuller are also up against Simon Cowell in the race to sign celebrity judges as he's launching 'The X Factor' in the U.S. next year.

The tenth season of 'American Idol' is due to premiere on Fox in January 2011.

'The X Factor' is slated to debut on Fox in September 2011.
http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/07/27/th...american-idol/

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next

M.D.
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

My Mood: Devilish
Thanked 5,607 Times in 4,031 Posts
Groans: 258
Groaned at 136 Times in 127 Posts

yeah, my mom called me this morning saying both simons were leaving!

simon fuller is leaving too, that is why nigel is coming back

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mystycl; 07-28-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Mystycl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

I really think Nigel could fix it, if anyone can. IDK, that's my thought.

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

We close our eyes

M.D.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Kristin
Senior Yakster

My Mood: Nerdy
Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,007 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts

I like the idea of having only three judges again. I LOVE the idea of getting rid of Kara. I like Ellen, but after one season of her on Idol, I'm not seeing where she really added anything to the judging. I like Randy, but I wouldn't be disappointed to see him leave.
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

I'm with you Kristin, totally. I am not even sure I'll watch next season. The AI franchise is sorta dying for me personally. But I'm interested to see what kinda changes they might make.

We close our eyes

M.D.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
grandmamichelf
Bodyguard

My Mood: Sad
Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,207 Posts
Groans: 173
Groaned at 23 Times in 21 Posts

This is so cool. I think Nigel Lythgoe needs to fix AI.
Do not walk in front of me, I will step on you. Do not walk beside me, I will bitch slap you. Do not walk behind me, I will turn around and kick you. I did not come through time and space to bandy words with a witless worm.

Grandma's looking for a grill. If you don't know what that means, you don't know Grandma.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
grandmamichelf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
TheKdd
Your mama what?

My Mood: Cynical
Thanked 5,913 Times in 3,977 Posts
Groans: 212
Groaned at 160 Times in 151 Posts

I like this a lot. I wasn't planning on watching really next season either, but the change up may make me tune in. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE Kara leaving. I can't STAND her. I would like to see Nigel at the judges table as well... I like him a lot, and I think he would add that bit of nastiness that will be needed with Cowell gone.

My Karma ran over your dogma.
~

BIG BROTHER LIVE FEEDS!

(Early Bird Special)

TheKdd is online now   Reply With Quote