Navigation » YakkityYaks - Big Brother 16 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers! > Announcements, Welcomes, Help and Archives > Announcements, Help and Archives > Yakkity's Archives » BREAKING NEWS: Discovery Channel Headquarters: Hostage Standoff! UPDATE: It's Over!

Notices

Yakkity's Archives This is where outdated or discontinued forums will go. Feel free to still read & post. You just might revive a topic!

Big Brother

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

My Mood: Roflmao
Thanked 1,020 Times in 909 Posts
Groans: 80
Groaned at 81 Times in 72 Posts
Default BREAKING NEWS: Discovery Channel Headquarters: Hostage Standoff! UPDATE: It's Over!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/01...ters-building/

Quote:
DEVELOPING: Police in Maryland are responding to a hostage situation after reports that a man with a handgun entered the Discovery Channel headquarters building in Silver Spring and fired at least one shot.

An official with the Montgomery County Police Department confirmed to Fox News that a man with an explosive device is holding at least one person hostage in the lobby of the building.

A Discovery employee reportedly told WJLA-TV that the building, located in suburban Washington, D.C., was on lockdown. The employee also said she thought she had heard five or six gunshots.

Dan Friz, a spokesman with the Montgomery County Police Department, reportedly told the station that a tactical team is trying to communicate with the gunman.

Friz said police were initially dispatched to the building after a report of shots fired at approximately 1 p.m.

YOU MIGHT ALSO BE
INTERESTED IN
Ten Worst Places to Live7 Steps to Becoming a One-Income FamilyBurger King Said to be Considering SaleGood Fat: How Being Overweight Can Work to Your AdvantageEmployees File Suit Against Coke for Cancelling Their Health CareThe suspect, identified by police as an Asian male, has "some sort of device on him that may be explosive in nature," Friz told the station.

Some witnesses reported that the man fired a shot before declaring, "Nobody is going anywhere," according to police.

Authorities have so far not confirmed how many shots were fired. Employees at the building were told to take cover in locked offices, according to local press accounts.

Children at a day care center located inside the Discovery Building were reportedly safely evacuated to a nearby McDonald's restaurant.

Discovery Communications LLC operates cable and satellite networks in the U.S. including The Discovery Channel, TLC and Animal Planet.
You can watch live coverage here, or possibly on TV:

http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/l...tream/2&hpt=C1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P Captain Phil

“If you’re looking for sympathy you’ll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.”
— David Sedaris, Barrel Fever
KaysarRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Yak Nicholson
The One and Only

Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Discovery Channel Headquarters: Hostage Standoff!

Montgomery Country, Maryland Police Department is currently in a hostage standoff with a suspect at the Discovery Channel Headquarters. The suspect, James Jay Lee, has been a long time protester of the Discovery Channel as was recently arrested outside of the building in February of 2008. At the time of this writing, the negotiations with the suspect has been going on for about an hour. There is a daycare facility on the first floor of the building and police are saying that as far as they can tell, the building has mostly been evacuated with a few hostages still being held inside. However, police will be going under the assumption that there are hostages inside.

Previous reports had the device the suspect carried in as explosive or some kind of other dangerous device. Follow along right with us HERE in our forums. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those involved and we hope everything can be resolved quickly and safely!

Below the jump, you will find the email that Discovery sent to it’s employees earlier this afternoon

Subject: URGENT: Employees Should Go Home – Don’t Return to 1DP Until Further Notice Employees at 1DP should go home for the remainder of the day. No employee should return to 1DP for any reason. Employees with cars at 1DP should not return to the office, but instead use an alternate mode of transportation.

The children from Discovery Kids Place are safe and with their teachers at the McDonald’s at the intersection of Colesville and Second Aves. Parents should meet their children there and go home for the remainder of the day.
Yak Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

My Mood: Dead
Thanked 4,548 Times in 2,954 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 181 Times in 153 Posts

This is the kooks website.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Yellowdog is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

The guy is James Lee:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati..._maryland.html

Quote:
A gunman with a long-standing beef against the Discovery Channel invaded its Maryland headquarters Wednesday and took several hostages.

The suspect, identified by numerous media outlets as James Jay Lee, fired his gun once but didn't hit anybody, and cops believe he may have strapped explosives to his chest.

"We're taking every precaution," Montgomery County fire department spokesman Capt. Oscar Garcia said.

Three bomb technicians were already at the building in the Washington suburb of Silver Spring, Md., and more were on the way, said Garcia. So was the FBI.

Meanwhile, children from a day care in the building were quickly evacuated - including four cribs full of babies - to a nearby McDonald's where they were reunited with their terrified parents.

Believed to be 41, Lee was arrested there on littering and disorderly conduct charges last year after he staged a protest against Discovery Communications.

Lee was apparently upset over Discovery's coverage of overpopulation, environmental and immigration issues.

Discovery Communications operates cable and satellite networks including The Discovery Channel, TLC and Animal Planet.

Discovery shows include "Cash Cab" and "Man vs. Wild," and TLC airs "American Chopper" and "Kate Plus Eight."

Animal Planet also airs the controversial series "Whale Wars" about attempts by environmentalists to disrupt the Japanese whaling industry.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz0yJ8iqqEw
This guy sounds like a fucking nut.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P Captain Phil

“If you’re looking for sympathy you’ll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.”
Old 09-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

More info:

http://deathby1000papercuts.com/2010...filthy-babies/

Quote:
Discovery Channel hostage taker, Asian man, Darwinist inspired by fictitious telepathic gorilla, Ishmael?

If the guy currently holding hostages at the Discovery Channel headquarters, armed with explosives, turns out to be a Darwinist, it will be interesting to see how the MSM labels this guy in future news reports.

According to several news sources the man holding people hostage at the Discovery Channel Headquarters in Silver Springs, MD, is Asian, may have explosives, several shots have been fired, and, the hostage taker-don’t know how many hostages-wants to speak with the heads of the Discovery Channel. Ben Smith at Politico, posted a link on Twitter to the “gunman’s demands” found at the site, Savetheplanetprotest.com.

A site which has only one page, “My Demands”, the author, “Lee”.

The Discovery Channel MUST broadcast to the world their commitment to save the planet and to do the following IMMEDIATELY

One of Lee’s Discovery Channel demands:

1. The Discovery Channel and it’s affiliate channels MUST have daily television programs at prime time slots based on Daniel Quinn’s “My Ishmael” pages 207-212 where solutions to save the planet would be done in the same way as the Industrial Revolution was done, by people building on each other’s inventive ideas. Focus must be given on how people can live WITHOUT giving birth to more filthy human children since those new additions continue pollution and are pollution.

Who and what is Daniel Quinn’s “My Ishmael”?

A paperbook written by Daniel Quinn, the sequel to Quinn’s 1992, “Ismael”.

Amazon.com, Kirkus review:

Another irresistible rant from Quinn, a sequel to his Turner Tomorrow Fellowship winner, Ishmael (1992), concerning a great, telepathic ape who dispenses ecological wisdom about the possible doom of humankind. Once more, Quinn focuses on the Leavers and Takers, his terms for the two basic, warring kinds of human sensibility. The planet’s original inhabitants, the Leavers, were nomadic people who did no harm to the earth. The Takers, who have generally overwhelmed them, began as aggressive farmers obsessed with growth, were the builders of cities and empires, and have now, in the late 20th century, largely run out of space to monopolize.

The manifesto includes the demand Discovery Channel air:

“A game show format contest would be in order. Perhaps also forums of leading scientists who understand and agree with the Malthus-Darwin science and the problem of human overpopulation. Do both. Do all until something WORKS and the natural world starts improving and human civilization building STOPS and is reversed! MAKE IT INTERESTING SO PEOPLE WATCH AND APPLY SOLUTIONS!!!!

Bookmark and Share:

R.I.P Captain Phil

Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

I can't tell for sure, but I swear I just saw them taking him out of the building in handcuffs, unless it was something else or someone else.

R.I.P Captain Phil

Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

My Mood: Amused
Thanked 7,373 Times in 5,618 Posts
Groans: 618
Groaned at 1,018 Times in 935 Posts

Reports are saying that there have been no injuries that they can report - that is good news! They are thinking most, if nto all, of the employees are out - THANK GOD! They're going under the assumption that there are hostages, from what I hear.

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next

M.D.
19wingz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

My Mood: Amused
Thanked 7,373 Times in 5,618 Posts
Groans: 618
Groaned at 1,018 Times in 935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahrean View Post
I can't tell for sure, but I swear I just saw them taking him out of the building in handcuffs, unless it was something else or someone else.
Nope, i thought that too and put it in the Yak article. Apparently he was arrested outside of the building in Feb of 2008. I think those are the pictures we're seeing...

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next

M.D.
19wingz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Ohhhhhh, okay. This guy seriously wants them to do a gameshow where the aim is to reverse human civilization, what the hell?!?

R.I.P Captain Phil

Old 09-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Yup, you're right Wingz b/c they just showed it again.........

R.I.P Captain Phil