View Full Version : Dan Gheesling's Open Letter to Big Brother 15 HGs

19wingz
06-06-2013, 09:41 PM
This is actually pretty well said.

Dear Future Houseguest,

Congratulations on making it into the Big Brother house, just getting into the Big Brother house is not an easy task.

But remember, itís a privilege to be there.

Itís a privilege that many people would literally kill for. Keep that in mind while you are locked in the house and want to complain about there not being your favorite kind of food, or coffee, soap, etc.

Remember you were selected out of 1000s of people.

Enjoy every minute, because as you have seen in the past, your entire Big Brother experience can be over in a split second.

Every ďdullĒ moment in the house, gives you the opportunity to make something happen that would normally never happen in your real life. Take advantage of the fact you can be a little kid, with no real life responsibilities like grocery shopping, alarm clocks, or a job.

It truly is a once in a lifetime opportunity (and if you make the best of your experience, a twice in a lifetime opportunity) that you can never buy your way into. No matter how much money, clout, or power you have, you can never negotiate your way into the experience you are about to embark on.

Embrace the experience, enjoy every second (even when youíre in trouble), treat it like a privilege and you will defeat half of the mental struggles you will encounter during the game.

If youíre reading this letter thinking that Iím full of it and that CBS is lucky to have you on the show, then stop reading this letter.

Thereís always room for egos on Big Brother, but if you think youíre above the game, you can eat it. Iíll enjoy watching you get owned this season in more ways than one.

If you are able to sit back and truly comprehend how lucky you are to be entering the Big Brother house, then continue reading this letter for my 5 best tips to make this a memorable experience for you as opposed to an epic train wreck that youíll regret.

Tip #1 Ė Play the Game Hard
Big Brother is a game.

If you see Big Brother as anything besides a game, or are in it for other reasons like spring-boarding an acting/singing/modeling/whatever career, just self-evict before the game starts.

Iím serious.

Youíre better off spending 3 months in LA going to open calls and getting ďdiscoveredĒ that way.

So if you entering the Big Brother house with your main goal being something OTHER than winning $500,000, I personally hope you get evicted before the game starts.

However if any of this does not apply to you, just remember to always play the game hard.

In moments that seem like everything is stacked against you, donít back down and quit. Find a way out and keep fighting.

The game changes ALL the time and you can take advantage of that, as long as you play the game down to the last minute.

If you always focus on the game (while not appearing to do so) small opportunities to save yourself will present themselves to you when you least expect it.

Regardless of how it plays out, if you play the game hard everyone will respect that you made the most out of your opportunity because you didnít quit or give up.

Tip #2 Ė Remember It Is A Television Production
Yes, Big Brother is a game, but it is also a major Reality TV PRODUCTION. You are an enormous part of the production, so play your role.

Any chance you have to make a big move, make it exciting.

Some solid moves that were made in the past have been all but forgotten, because they werenít exciting.

An alliance flip in the game isnít that fun to watch if you let the person know itís coming ahead of time.

Find a way to infuse some part of your personality into the showmanship of the production. If youíve been cast for Big Brother you definitely have the ability to be a showman (or woman) so do it!

Sometimes it doesnít even take much to make a normal game move way more entertaining to watch. Youíll have a LOT of time in the house to think, spend a little bit of the time thinking how you can help entertain in your own unique way.

One note of cautionÖ

Be extra careful when trying to make a move entertaining outside the safety of the Diary Room walls. Pick and choose your moments of showmanship, because when you make a big move in ďpublicĒ youíve got to make it count.

Personally, I can always tell what Houseguests understand itís a production, and which do not. Those that do understand, regardless of their showmanship execution, I always appreciate their effort to make the show better.

Tip #3 Ė Understand Itís All Been Done Before
This game has been played many many times before. With the exception of new twists, it has all been done before.

Big crazy moves have been made. Alliances have been destroyed. Showmances have been formed and broken up many times over.

There is little room for ingenuity in the game now, and thatís OK.

What Iím trying to say is, donít try to make a carbon copy of something memorable thatís happened in a prior season because it wonít work.

The Houseguests have gotten smarter as the seasons have gone on. The majority of the other Houseguests (hopefully) have watched the seasons before just like you.

So if itís all been done before, what are you supposed to do?

Show your personality.

Thereís never been a person exactly like you in the house before. Thatís what makes each season different, the people, not the same game moves.

For as much as I hate the advice ďjust be yourselfĒ when it applies to GETTING CAST on the show, thatís the best advice once you are actually ON THE show.

Donít try to be act like a former Houseguest, just be yourself, it will be way more fun to watch.

Thereís a ton that can be learned from former Houseguestís games, so use that to your advantage. Emulate their games, but not their personalities.

You individually are the only thing that hasnít been seen before on the show. Thatís what we want to watch.

Tip #4 Ė Theyíre Not Your Friends
No one in the game is your friend. Theyíre your opponents.

When the game is all set and done, you might talk to a small handful of the Houseguests when you go home.

For as much fun as it sounds like in Week 1, to start planning your cast reunion next summer, itís not going to happen.

(Someone ALWAYS brings it up, guaranteed.)

Although it sounds cynical, itís the truth.

The reason Iím telling you this is because most people will have the opportunity to make it to the 2nd half of the game, but donít because they feel bad voting out their ďfriends.Ē

Theyíre not your friends, most of them are roadblocks to you winning $500,000 and bringing the money home to your REAL friends and family.

Notice I said MOST of them are roadblocks in your game.

The only game-related advice I can give you is that you cannot win Big Brother alone. Youíve got to trust one person, and whomever you place your trust in ultimately decides your success in the game.

While you CAN make a true friend or two while playing the game (hey Memphis), itís extremely rare. A friendship can arise from an immense amount of trust developed in the house over time, but itís not common.

Most people go their separate ways and become minor acquaintances. So what does that really mean to you?

Donít hesitate to make any moves in the game because of ďfriendship.Ē If someone tries to play the ďfriendĒ card with you in the game, chances are they are anything but.

Tip #5 Respect the Game
Big Brother is a fun, summer, Reality TV show. Big Brother becomes one thousand times better when you donít take the game (or yourself) too serious.

The only thing that is serious about Big Brother is respecting the game.

Youíve been entrusted with the privilege of playing and respecting the game.

There are only two things you can do that will cause the ultimate disrespect to those who have created, played, or watched Big Brother.

#1 Ė Voluntarily quit the game and or break production rules.

If you quit the game, because things arenít going your way, or the experience isnít what you thought it was, or canít handle it, thatís garbage. Tough it out, there are thousands of others who would do anything to be in your spot.

If you do something to disrupt production knowingly, you instantly earn the status of ďworst person ever.Ē Thereís a large team of people who depend on you to simply play a game. Thatís it! Your decision to mess with the game affects way more people than just yourself.

#2 Ė Say the game isnít ďfair.Ē

You agreed to subject yourself to any twists/punishments in the game, so take it on the chin when it happens. People who embrace the game often have the best experiences. Big Brother is a federally regulated GAME SHOW, so if you think the game isnít fair, chances are you just got played.

In ClosingÖ
Truly enjoy the experience youíre about to embark on it. It comes and goes very fast.

Embrace the tough, ridiculous times, because chances are those will be the memories you look back and laugh at.

This game is not going to be easy.

It can get stressful.

It can get emotional.

But always remember, no matter what happens, itís just a game.

Good luck,

Dan Gheesling

SOURCE (http://www.dangheesling.com/my-letter-to-the-new-houseguests/)

Sheldon
06-07-2013, 04:02 AM
Very well said. I wish CBS would give them a copy of this in their "Welcome Packet."

Yellowdog
06-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Manipulative as ever

19wingz
06-07-2013, 07:54 AM
Ha, I know, right?

SassyGal
06-07-2013, 08:54 AM
LOL he basicly told the BBCA houeguests that when he spent a couple of days in the house with them!!

KaysarRocks
06-18-2013, 04:18 AM
Very well said. I wish CBS would give them a copy of this in their "Welcome Packet."

Agreed, it's actually pretty informative and the truth.

CappieSux
06-18-2013, 08:38 AM
I wonder if he'll take credit for whoever wins this season...

"Obviously they saw my open letter...You're welcome!"

Yellowdog
06-18-2013, 08:53 AM
It's his usual "look at me I'm being nice" schtick that is once again a way to get something for himself. He's a mental case and the fact that he fools so many people is why we have cults!!!

Alex336
06-18-2013, 10:19 AM
It's his usual "look at me I'm being nice" schtick that is once again a way to get something for himself. He's a mental case and the fact that he fools so many people is why we have cults!!!

Then I, for one, would be part of his cult. The Gheesling Prophets.

grandmamichelf
06-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Meh, whatever. Read it. Don't care. He impresses me not.

19wingz
06-18-2013, 01:48 PM
The Gheesling Prophets. LOLOL I love it.

Gabym82
06-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Love the post and agree with what he says. My biggest pet peeve as a viewer is the people who whine and complain that they were being lied to in this game. Newsflash, you're going to have to lie/break alliances/stab people in the back eventually if you want to win the game. It's the nature of the beast, and everyone should know by now what the game entails Not to mention that not everyone is as big a jerk as they seem on TV. Sure, some people may think it okay to tell lies when a half million dollars are on the line, but that doesn't necessarily translate to that person being a douche in a normal, everyday setting. And I also dislike when people whine about how unfair being nominated is. Let's be real here, you're going to get put on the block sooner or later, so the best thing to do is to act like an adult and be nice to the people that have the power to decide whether you stay or go. If you want to trash a fellow houseguest, do so, but keep it confined to the diary room.

TheArtistFrmlyKnownAs
06-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Open letter to Dan

Dear Dan

Fuck off and get a job.

Sincerely TheArtistFrmlyKnownAs

KaysarRocks
06-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Then I, for one, would be part of his cult. The Gheesling Prophets.

Lmao, I'm with you. To each their own, it's an acquired taste and not for everyone but the same is said for pretty much anyone, imo.