YakkityYaks - Big Brother 21 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers!

YakkityYaks - Big Brother 21 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers! (http://forum.yakkityyaks.com/index.php)
-   19Wingz Medical Mysteries (http://forum.yakkityyaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   knee issues (http://forum.yakkityyaks.com/showthread.php?t=14803)

Isaac 05-07-2013 02:18 PM

knee issues

Here's an issue I've just started having with my left knee (and left knee only). For the past few days, I've gotten sudden severe pain in my left knee after running. I don't have any pain at all while running, so it's hard to predict when/if it's going to hit after running. Basically what happens is when I'm done running, I get back in my car to go to work or home. About 20-30 feet after getting out of my car (being off my feet for 15-20 minutes) and walking, it feels like somebody is stabbing my knee with an ice pick or other sharp object. The pain is sudden and severe and about takes me off my feet. It mainly feels like it starts along the outside of my knee joint and the pain works its way into the joint. It stays that way most of the day, but by late afternoon, the pain is more of a dull pain and almost gone by evening. Any ideas???

19wingz 05-07-2013 02:39 PM

How are your shoes/socks, etc for the running? Typically those play a big role, depending on the pavement you are running on.

Have you had surgery on the knee before?

Isaac 05-07-2013 02:47 PM

I got a good pair of reebok shoes specifically made for running. As for the socks, just your garden variety tube socks. If it makes any difference, arthritis runs in my family. No previous surgery, but i do have loose or "trick" knees.

p.s. Kudos onthe Red Wings tying it up 2-2

19wingz 05-07-2013 02:51 PM

It could be early arthritis or just wear and tear. The fact that it goes away with rest is a sign it's nothing big. You could take Ibuprofen before or after running if you'd like, but make sure with food.

If it's warm to the touch, swollen or red, I'd go see a doc.

Isaac 05-07-2013 04:34 PM

You ever heard of Wellesse liquid glucosamine/chondroitin for joint movement?

19wingz 05-07-2013 04:48 PM

I haven't heard of the brand but I have heard of that treatment. Just if you are taking other meds, make sure you can take with your meds. I don't know how well it works.

Isaac 05-07-2013 08:07 PM

Got an appt. tomorrow with my family practitioner. I'll bring it all up with her. I hope it's nothing too bad because I had a bunch of 5K, 8K, and 10K runs.

Isaac 05-08-2013 09:22 AM

OFFICIAL VERDICT: left meniscus knee injury. Got a PT appointment later today. The doc said if I didn't back off on the running, I could tear the meniscus which would make things even more worse.

19wingz 05-08-2013 02:55 PM

There you go. I figured an exam was necessary to know more. Sucks.

ABondgirl00 06-13-2014 07:53 AM

I'm a little late getting here but i just saw this. The same thing happened to me with too much exercise. Lots of hills here and hard on the knees.