YakkityYaks - Big Brother 21 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers!

YakkityYaks - Big Brother 21 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers! (http://forum.yakkityyaks.com/index.php)
-   Live at Five with Yakkity Yaks (http://forum.yakkityyaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   COVID-19 - Coronavirus Pandemic (http://forum.yakkityyaks.com/showthread.php?t=19806)

PinkFreak 03-13-2020 12:07 PM

COVID-19 - Coronavirus Pandemic

Just curious how all this has effected our members?

I'm in Oregon and there have been no confirmed cases in my city, or county for that matter, but we have confirmed cases literally all around us so it's just a matter of time for it to hit here. Our state has closed all events or gathering with 250+ people, that includes concerts, swap meets, sports and such. All of our K-12 public schools are closing 3/16 thru 3/31... and our Universities & Community Colleges are doing the same.

I'm really hoping this is all being blown out of proportion because I didn't go stock up on toilet paper :(

Mystycl 03-13-2020 07:55 PM

can someone explain to me the toilet paper caper?

TheKdd 03-14-2020 05:43 PM

No. No explanation. Itís selfish people doing selfish things.

Lisa go get a pack or two before it does become a thing in your county.

Shelves are completely empty here. People are in full blown panic mode. The death rate has remained steady at 3% which is pretty high for a virus. To put it in perspective, H1N1 was .02% I believe.

Regardless, Iím more worried about living... all my husbands work has been shut down. Unemployment doesnít cover our mortgage and utilities. Iím disabled and canít work, nor can I get this thing because of immuno-issues.

That people are hoarding toilet paper is pissing me off lol

Mystycl 03-14-2020 07:12 PM

its totally ridiculous

ABondgirl00 03-16-2020 04:56 PM

Not in my wildest dreams did i ever see myself begging for toilet paper..... puts new meaning to the words Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures or something to that effect.

Also canceled a Dr's apt. today and one tomorrow.

grandmamichelf 03-19-2020 08:15 PM

I work in my school district as the administrative assistant to the director of Special Education.
Our superintendent sent us home last Thursday when we (those who stay behind during spring break) and said we'd return this coming Monday. Then last Tuesday, extended it and said they'd look at it every two weeks.
Then the governor said four counties (one of them mine)--schools will remain closed until April 30th unless the decree is lifted earlier than that.
Teachers get paid because they are on contract. I will get paid this first time because that's what the superintendent said. After that it is up to the school board and the superintendent since we aren't on contract. However I have enough sick and vacation days to last at least 6 weeks and get paid. Others...like paraprofessionals..only get paid when students are in school. But we have a great school board...so we shall see.

I'm working from home. I'm lucky most of my work is online but I do need to get some files out of my office so I hope they let me in my building. I don't work in the same building with my boss which is fine since I don't want to work around all the administrators. Cramps my style! LOL!

My boss was going on a cruise. Finally the cruise line suspended it the day before he and his family were due to leave. But he did send me a picture of sandy feet and legs, sitting on a lounge chair in Florida. Ugh....

Tina 03-19-2020 10:41 PM

It's crazy here. We've been on a shelter-in-place order for a week up here in Northern california but today the governor made the order for the entire state. I'm a financial investigator for a bank and I have been working at home since monday. I'm 67 so I'm considered in danger and shouldn't go out. My husband has an auto repair shop so he is exempt from staying home plus he won't make any money at all if he closes his shop. last time I shopped was last friday and that was the last day there was toilet paper in the store because I found an extra pallet in the yogurt aisle! lol. hoarding is weird and unhelpful to all. I am going to the store once a week. safeway is having senior hours two days a week early in the am but it's still crazy. stay safe everyone. the governor just gave another speech today and said prediction is 56 percent of californians will get this. I hope they start that malaria medicine soon, it can't hurt and it could possibly save lives!

TheKdd 03-21-2020 10:24 PM

Well, day I donít know even of shelter in place. Feels like a year already lol

I took a nap yesterday, didnít wake up until 1am... was baking English muffins at 4am. Time has lost all meaning. I need bread flour but theyíre out everywhere we go, and weíre trying not to go at all.

I have a Dr appt in about a week, gonna call Monday and see if heís doing telemedicine?

Iím hoping they put a moratorium on mortgages... I have no idea how weíre going to get by with no work here. Unemployment pays nothing. Our credit cards are slowly maxing out.

This is insane.

Tina 03-23-2020 08:08 AM

I hear you TK. I get about the time has no meaning, even though I'm working at home 8-5 I 'm waking up at 2 am and doing laundry, cleaning, etc. All of my regular appointments got cancelled which is good because I'm not down with going out. I've received emails from basically every company I deal with saying "We're here for you"! But I have yet to receive one that says you don't have to make your payment!. Good luck, saying prayers for everyone.

requiem 03-23-2020 03:28 PM

Hey Yak family!

Doing okay up here. All non-essential work places are closed effective tomorrow here in Ontario, Canada. The cases where I live double from 16 to 32 over the past 24 hours. This is probably the first time I miss living in the middle of nowhere Canada. Lol

I work at a pharmacy so I have not had any lack of hours. However, itís not the safest place to be for 40 hours a week. Lots of mini panic attacks get me through the day.

Sending so much love to each and every one of you. Stay safe.