YakkityYaks - Big Brother 21 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers!

YakkityYaks - Big Brother 21 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers! (http://forum.yakkityyaks.com/index.php)
-   Yak's Book Nook (http://forum.yakkityyaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=227)
-   -   A Game of Thrones (http://forum.yakkityyaks.com/showthread.php?t=10107)

Sphinx 06-21-2011 09:48 PM

A Game of Thrones

I had read some time ago that "A Game of Thrones" was good, but my god. I bought the book yesterday morning around 11 AM (Monday) to be exact...I just finished it. Needless to say, I will be getting the remainder of the series and I believe a new one comes out July 12th.

I highly recommend it if ya haven't read it yet!

Mystycl 06-22-2011 04:49 AM

one of those ya cant put down, huh? :)

Sphinx 06-22-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystycl (Post 255175)
one of those ya cant put down, huh? :)

Yep! I would end one chapter and say "Just another"...two hours later....

Shiny Beige 06-22-2011 09:08 AM

Who's the author, Sphinx?

19wingz 06-22-2011 09:59 AM

Brief synopsis, please?

Sphinx 06-22-2011 10:37 AM

George. R.R. Martin is the Author.

Synopsis:

Basically there are several 'ruling families', and they are practically royalty. Think of the feudal system, however with some supernatural aspects (although, it's barely in the 1st book). There is one King that rules over all of the families and their lands, and the families are subordinate to him. There's a lot of treachery, betrayal, and deceit in the Kingdom's main capital of King's Landing. Also there is a lot of killing and mysterious murders. Also, in the North, there is a wall that prevents the old creatures from entering the Kingdom and ransacking the entire place. In the background, there is the problem of "Summer" and "Winter". When it is "Summer" there is no problem, however, when "Winter" arrives the kingdom is held hostage to the cold, snow, and ice.

I didn't wanna give anything away...so I hope that's kind of clear.

Yellowdog 06-22-2011 10:40 AM

The HBO series is supposed to be very good and many expect it to be nominated for an Emmy so I may go on OnDemand and watch the entire series. I'll at least watch the first one to see if I like it.

TheKdd 06-22-2011 12:33 PM

I haven't seen it either and may watch it soon, although I'm sure the books are a million times better as usual.

Sphinx 06-22-2011 01:36 PM

I don't know if I even want to spoil the glory of the book by watching HBOs rendition. How Harry Potter was treated left a foul taste in my mouth.

19wingz 06-22-2011 04:50 PM

Ya, I have heard a lot of great things about the HBO series. I'm sure the books are better, but all my friends rave about the show.

Yellowdog 06-22-2011 05:09 PM

I already have so many books to read that I will just watch the series instead, but a great book is always better than any filmed version of the same book.

Yellowdog 06-27-2011 09:26 AM

In the last few days I've watched 8 of the 10 episodes, and I will watch the last two tonight. I have so much work to do but I couldn't stop watching. It's absolutely addictive. It's a combination of The Lord of the Rings, General Hospital, and Debbie Does Dallas.

Mystycl 06-27-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowdog (Post 257388)
It's a combination of The Lord of the Rings, General Hospital, and Debbie Does Dallas.

dayuum!

Yellowdog 06-27-2011 09:58 AM

Well, The Lord of the Rings analogy is obvious. I say General Hospital because it has a soap opera element. Not a bad soap opera, but a soap opera in the same way that The Godfather was a soap opera. It's just a lot of characters and things happen, and you have good guys and villains, and family and friends, and romances, and all of that. As for Debbie Does Dallas, well, there are some sex scenes and nudity here and there.

Sphinx 06-29-2011 12:45 PM

Just wait for the next book: A Clash of Kings.

As far as I've heard, a Game of Thrones holds pretty damn true to the book...

Yellowdog 06-29-2011 01:17 PM

Yeah, people say that the show is very faithful to the books. That's why I don't want to read too much about the future books, because then I will know what happens in the show.

Sphinx 07-05-2011 02:04 PM

Well, I just finished the fourth book - the last available for a week - and I must say...wow.

Man is a genius...unreal.

Oh and G.R.R. Martin wanted to have "A dance with Dragons" published in 2006...it took 5 years. Ugh.

CappieSux 07-05-2011 07:15 PM

I hate the fourth book....Soooo many bad PoVs.

But the other three books are genius. I'm rereading Sword of Storms right now. Dreading certain parts, haha. It's so good and the characters are sooo real and vivid(except in four, where the characters are one dimensional or just down right grating)

The show was amazing. Beyond amazing. OMG amazing. Everything was...WOW...The casting, the setting, the writing, EVERYTHING.

Already pre-ordered A Dance With Dragons on my kindle. Can't wait.

Here is hoping the next book doesn't take 5 years..

Sphinx 07-05-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CappieSux (Post 262270)
I hate the fourth book....Soooo many bad PoVs.

But the other three books are genius. I'm rereading Sword of Storms right now. Dreading certain parts, haha. It's so good and the characters are sooo real and vivid(except in four, where the characters are one dimensional or just down right grating)

The show was amazing. Beyond amazing. OMG amazing. Everything was...WOW...The casting, the setting, the writing, EVERYTHING.

Already pre-ordered A Dance With Dragons on my kindle. Can't wait.

Here is hoping the next book doesn't take 5 years..

Agreed about the 4th book. I was ready to kill at some points, because I was so bored. I was craving more about the Stark children, but they were like non-existent or even Sam. The 5th book is supposed to be about the other characters that were neglected in the 4th. The end of the 4th book was good, at the least.

Here's to hoping...

CappieSux 07-05-2011 08:08 PM

FUTURE BOOK SPOILERS!!!!!

AVOID IF YOU HAVEN'T READ!
!
!

!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!

Sam was in plenty of four, which was my problem. There is only so much you can read of "I'm a coward, I'm fat, I peed myself, I'm a coward, my dad hates me, Jon, I peed myself, I'm fat, I'm a coward. I'm a fat coward who's father hates him and I peed myself..."

:-p

Still he wasn't nearly as bad as the Ironborne! All those chapters were horrible. I hate what they did to Ceresei, she became such a one dimensional cliche. And I like Brienne but her chapters were so pointless. It was so frustrating to read because it was sooo pointless. Though her cliffhanger is even more frustrating since apparently we won't get an answer in book 5. So basically for some(thankfully not me) the Brienne cliffhanger will be over six years in the waiting. Talk about flow killer.
!
!
!

!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
Spoilers above

Sphinx 07-05-2011 08:18 PM

Agreed. It's such crap. The Iron Borne part IRRITATED me to no end, but I went through the book "hoping" for something more.

That was unfortunate.

LittleMama 07-11-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowdog (Post 255431)
I already have so many books to read that I will just watch the series instead, but a great book is always better than any filmed version of the same book.

I learned that the hard way with the Interview With A Vampire movies. It's not a good feeling when you see good work ruined in a movie.

Sounds good, Sphinx...

Sphinx 07-11-2011 05:11 PM

I watched a couple of episodes of it, and I have to say it follows the plot line almost to a nail. Some things are skewered, but I think it's more or less artistic perspective being deployed in those instances.

Sphinx 07-19-2011 12:39 PM

Finished the newest book today.

And I thought it was 100x better than the fourth book.

Now I just have to wait 5 more years for the next one...:confused:

Yellowdog 07-19-2011 06:20 PM

Yeah, the last one is getting great reviews. And something tells me that with HBO waiting on him, the next one won't take five years.

Sphinx 07-19-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowdog (Post 273696)
Yeah, the last one is getting great reviews. And something tells me that with HBO waiting on him, the next one won't take five years.

Agreed. Still...sucks that I can't finish the series :(

dao0815 11-25-2011 09:42 PM

I've heard that the show follows the book pretty good. I just started these books. I downloaded a sample on my kindle and then finished that and bought the first four books. It was cheaper.

A co-worker has been telling about these books for a while.

Sphinx 11-30-2011 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dao0815 (Post 332966)
I've heard that the show follows the book pretty good. I just started these books. I downloaded a sample on my kindle and then finished that and bought the first four books. It was cheaper.

A co-worker has been telling about these books for a while.

I haven't gotten around to watching the series; however, from the couple of shows that I have seen it does follow it extremely well. And the books are incredible.

dao0815 12-26-2011 07:45 PM

I'm still in book one. I keep getting people mixed up so I have to kind of go back and reread. I don't read every day either so I think that is part of the problem.

Yellowdog 12-26-2011 08:03 PM

Season 2 starts in April, btw.

Phooey 10-02-2014 04:08 PM

Old thread, but I will put in my two cents. Love the books, love the HBO series. I am really wishing they could stretch it out to more than 10 episodes per season. Word is that if the series catches up to George before he finishes his end, he has pre-approved the ending, so we will not have to wait around for him.

ABondgirl00 01-13-2015 02:47 PM

When will this series be back? I believe Season5?

TheKdd 01-13-2015 08:04 PM

April 12th :)

ABondgirl00 01-16-2015 04:31 PM

Love it!

Bekilted 09-27-2019 11:44 PM

Looking at this thread, who could have known that in 2018 and 2019, people would be making bets in Vegas with regards to the TV ending of this story?
Hearts and minds were swept away by this series.

TheKdd 10-02-2019 04:14 PM

Yes except Iím still a bit peeved at the ending lol