View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
requiem
Ruby Chen

Thanked 5,278 Times in 3,699 Posts
Groans: 1,056
Groaned at 821 Times in 577 Posts

Ratings are in via EW.COM (this does not include DVR playback or online streams.)

Fox’s big reality gamble Utopia got off to a modest pre-season start Sunday night.
The two-hour premiere had 4.6 million viewers and a 1.9 rating among adults 18-49 Sunday night. That was lower than the latest episode of CBS’ Big Brother (7.1 million, 2.3), which likewise started at 8 p.m.
The $50 million social experience strands 15 people in a remote area to build a perfect community. The debut was up against the massive time-period premiere of NBC’s Sunday Night Football (an estimated 21.2 million, 8.0), yet also had a strong NFL lead-in of its own that largely didn’t stick around. (If you’re a football fan, switching from Fox over to SNF is probably more tempting.)
Fox is betting heavily on Utopia, which basically replaces The X Factor as the network’s multi-night reality show this fall. Utopia is considered risky within the industry partly because broadcast reality series typically have some kind of competitive element to lend a sense of high stakes and urgency (Survivor, American Idol, The Bachelor—all are contests to some degree), yet Utopia is purely a soap. So far, there has been a fair amount of on-set drama, which could hook viewers and last night’s performance is still considered a workable number. The audience could grow from this, especially as the fall season gets underway.

#ShineBrightLikeARuby

"Everybody knows I'm a mother fucking monster!" - Kanye West

"You can take away my car and you can take away my keys...But you can't take away my dreams because I'm like sleeping when I have them." - NATR
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to requiem For This Useful Post:
ABondgirl00 (09-27-2014), AIO_7 (09-08-2014)