Notices

Live at Five with Yakkity Yaks Anything and everything news/weather related should go here

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,654 Times in 6,627 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,039 Times in 954 Posts
Default Judgement Day Now October 21, 2011

Quote:
California preacher Harold Camping said Monday his prophecy that the world would end was off by five months because Judgment Day actually will come on Oct. 21.

Camping, who predicted that 200 million Christians would be taken to heaven Saturday before the Earth was destroyed, said he felt so terrible when his doomsday prediction did not come true that he left home and took refuge in a motel with his wife. His independent ministry, Family Radio International, spent millions — some of it from donations made by followers — on more than 5,000 billboards and 20 RVs plastered with the Judgment Day message.

But Camping said that he's now realized the apocalypse will come five months after May 21, the original date he predicted. He had earlier said Oct. 21 was when the globe would be consumed by a fireball.

Saturday was "an invisible judgment day" in which a spiritual judgment took place, he said. But the timing and the structure is the same as it has always been, he said.

"We've always said May 21 was the day, but we didn't understand altogether the spiritual meaning," he said. "May 21 is the day that Christ came and put the world under judgment."

It's not the first time the independent Christian radio host has been forced to explain when his prediction didn't come to pass. He also predicted the Apocalypse would come in 1994, but said it didn't happen then because of a mathematical error.

Rather than give his normal daily broadcast on Monday, Camping made a special statement before the press at the Oakland headquarters of the media empire that has broadcast his message. His show, "Open Forum," has for months headlined his doomsday message via the group's radio stations, TV channels, satellite broadcasts and website.

When the Rapture didn't arrive Saturday, crestfallen followers began turning their attention to more earthly concerns.

Jeff Hopkins had figured the gas money he spent driving back and forth from Long Island to New York City would be worth it, as long as people could see the ominous sign atop his car warning that the End of the World was nigh.
"I've been mocked and scoffed and cursed at and I've been through a lot with this lighted sign on top of my car," said Hopkins, 52, a former television producer who lives in Great River, NY. "I was doing what I've been instructed to do through the Bible, but now I've been stymied. It's like getting slapped in the face."

Camping said Family Radio would never tell anyone what they should do with their possessions.

"That is between them and God," he said.

But he said he wouldn't give away all his possessions ahead of Oct 21.
"I still have to live in a house, I still have to drive a car," he said. "What would be the value of that? If it is Judgment Day why would I give it away?"

Apocalyptic thinking has always been part of American religious life and popular culture. Teachings about the end of the world vary dramatically — even within faith traditions — about how they will occur.

Still, the overwhelming majority of Christians reject the idea that the exact date or time of Jesus' return can be predicted.

Tim LaHaye, co-author of the best-selling "Left Behind" novels about the end times, recently called Camping's prediction "not only bizarre but 100 percent wrong!" He cited the Bible verse Matthew 24:36, "but about that day or hour no one knows" except God.

"While it may be in the near future, many signs of our times certainly indicate so, but anyone who thinks they 'know' the day and the hour is flat out wrong," LaHaye wrote on his website, leftbehind.com.

In 2009, the nonprofit Family Radio reported in IRS filings that it received $18.3 million in donations, and had assets of more than $104 million, including $34 million in stocks or other publicly traded securities.
SOURCE

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Kristin
Senior Yakster

Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,013 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts

Before I read the entire article, is that before or after the BB finale?
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kristin For This Useful Post:
Mystycl (05-24-2011), Shiny Beige (05-23-2011), TheKdd (05-23-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Thanked 1,020 Times in 909 Posts
Groans: 80
Groaned at 81 Times in 72 Posts

I smell backpeddling......

So does this mean on October 21st is when it starts and then NEXT March is when it goes down in a burning ball of flame?

“If you’re looking for sympathy you’ll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.”
— David Sedaris, Barrel Fever
KaysarRocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin View Post
Before I read the entire article, is that before or after the BB finale?
after I think, we're good.

“If you’re looking for sympathy you’ll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.”
Old 05-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaysarRocks View Post
I smell backpeddling......

So does this mean on October 21st is when it starts and then NEXT March is when it goes down in a burning ball of flame?
No, May 21st was a silent judgement. So I think we'll still go up in a burning ball of flame in October. It just happened differently than he expected. At least, I think that's what he's saying. He confuses me and I'm wondering why no one is questioning the mental status of the 89 year old.

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

We close our eyes
Old 05-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
Kristin
Senior Yakster

Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,013 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts

Well, on the bright side it looks like I'll get out of making halloween costumes this year!
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wingz View Post
No, May 21st was a silent judgement. So I think we'll still go up in a burning ball of flame in October. It just happened differently than he expected. At least, I think that's what he's saying. He confuses me and I'm wondering why no one is questioning the mental status of the 89 year old.
Okay, so as of 10/21/2011, we're f'ed.

Hey Kristin, I'm going to have an EPIC costume myself. If I'm going out in a burning ball of flames then I want to go out dressed as Snooki..........

Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,477 Times in 5,531 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wingz View Post
Ok so it was the silent judgement. So if it doesn't happen on October 21, then that is the ultimate judgement day, where God and Jesus get together to decide exactly how they are going to end the earth, from which direction the flaming ball will come, will it run straight to earth, or in an arc, which side will be hit etc. THEN it will happen in March, because well, 2012 and all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,477 Times in 5,531 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

And why the hell did he predict it AFTER taxes are ultimately due. Damn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #10
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKdd View Post
Ok so it was the silent judgement. So if it doesn't happen on October 21, then that is the ultimate judgement day, where God and Jesus get together to decide exactly how they are going to end the earth, from which direction the flaming ball will come, will it run straight to earth, or in an arc, which side will be hit etc. THEN it will happen in March, because well, 2012 and all.
I honestly have no idea. Anyone think he'd be willing to do an exclusive for The Yak?

We close our eyes
The Following User Says Thank You to 19wingz For This Useful Post:
TheKdd (05-23-2011)