Navigation » YakkityYaks - Big Brother 21 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers! > Yak's Athletics > Football > NFL Football » Packers Vs. Steelers, It's The Superbowl

Notices

NFL Football Again, you shouldn't need an explanation for this. We feel sorry for you if you do.

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #101
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

Thanked 7,650 Times in 5,588 Posts
Groans: 285
Groaned at 155 Times in 145 Posts

people that like the BEP said it sucked too.... so. its not just cause i dont like them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mystycl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #102
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Thanked 1,020 Times in 909 Posts
Groans: 80
Groaned at 81 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystycl View Post
people that like the BEP said it sucked too.... so. its not just cause i dont like them.

I think this article says it all, it clarifies all sides I think.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ow-underrated/

Quote:
On the Fifth Down live blog of the Super Bowl, we received an almost unanimous thumbs down from readers on the Black Eyed Peas’ halftime performance. The Times’s ArtsBeat blog noted a similar reaction on Twitter.

Maybe this is a bit of a contrarian view, but are we expecting too much from the Super Bowl halftime show?

It has become a national pinata — these guys are dinosaurs, those guys are selling out — and the Black Eyed Peas were merely taking their turn being whacked. Not to suggest that the Peas were brilliant (or have ever been brilliant); some of the vocals were sketchy. But the overall spectacle — with the dancers, the light shows, the guest performances of Slash and Usher, and yes, the Peas, themselves — didn’t seem to deserve condemnation.

Here’s a short roundup of reaction:

Nekesa Mumbi Moody of The Associated Press reflected the consensus, and
said the Peas seemed “tentative and tense.”

On second thought, maybe Usher should have been the headliner for the Super Bowl halftime show.

The superstar had only a brief cameo in the showcase, but his tightly choreographed moves and acrobatics marked the brief exhilarating moment of a surprisingly stale medley from the normally frenetic headliners, the Black Eyed Peas.

But …

Greg Kot of The Chicago Tribune has been a longtime detractor of the Peas on the excellent “Sound Opinions” weekly radio program he co-hosts with Jim DeRogatis. He said the halftime show somehow worked, mainly because the format fit the group’s limited skills:

The Black Eyed Peas, the first contemporary pop act to headline the Super Bowl halftime since Janet Jackson was over-exposed by Justin Timberlake in 2004, proved to be an oddly appropriate choice for the National Football League’s big international party Sunday in Dallas.

With lyrics like Madison Avenue slogans plastered over relentless beats, the quartet’s big, proudly superficial music advertised and celebrated itself. It’s not meant to be scrutinized, but blasted over big speakers at Cowboys Stadium or in saloons worldwide hosting Super Bowl parties.

It’s nearly impossible to do anything nuanced or thoughtful on such a stage in 12 minutes. So the Peas went for the gusto and the spectacle, wearing neon spacesuits and surrounded by flourescent dancers.

Coming in short minute-long bursts, the Peas’ songs actually benefited from the nervous, jump-cut energy of the medley.

Jay Lustig of The Star-Ledger said the Peas had some surprises to offer:

And while it’s true that when there wasn’t something spectacular going on, visually, they didn’t offer much in the way of vocal dynamics, it’s also true that there was usually something spectacular going on, visually — those hordes of glowing dancers really were pretty cool — so the 12 minutes passed very quickly.

It was a solid B performance — but nowhere near an A.

“If you’re looking for sympathy you’ll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.”
— David Sedaris, Barrel Fever
KaysarRocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #103
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Hey Mys, The View is talking about it right now. They're blaming Fox b/c of the technical difficulties (Fergies' mike cutting out), but they're also saying what you said about other performers doing good too.

“If you’re looking for sympathy you’ll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.”
Old 02-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #104
Kristin
Senior Yakster

Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,013 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts

If you can photoshop Christina Aguilera's face in this, it would be last night's performance.

Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kristin For This Useful Post:
KaysarRocks (02-07-2011), Mystycl (02-07-2011), TheKdd (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #105
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Kristin that was TOTALLY it, hilarious!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #106
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin View Post
If you can photoshop Christina Aguilera's face in this, it would be last night's performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImCWjbAOXKo
i saw this when it aired! that is hilarious kristin!!!
i love mya, she is one of my fave females

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #107
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Mys, could I use your avi too?

Old 02-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #108
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

just saw this, and of course. LOL
its not mine. i took it from the discovery channel

Old 02-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #109
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

christina responds................

Christina Aguilera Explains National Anthem Flub at Super Bowl

"I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country," the pop singer says of repeating a phrase in "The Star Spangled Banner."
Christina Aguilera rushed to defend herself after messing up a line while performing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl on Sunday.

The pop singer said she got lost in the moment -- and lost her place in the song.
"I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country and that the true spirit of its anthem still came through," she told the Associated Press in a statement.

Aguilera, who sang The Star Spangled Banner ahead of the start of Super Bowl XLV in Arlington, Texas, mistakenly repeated a phrase early in the song. Instead of singing "O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?" the pop star sang "What so proudly we watched at the twilight's last gleaming?" (changing "hailed" to "watched" the second time around).
Many people immediately took to Twitter to criticize Aguilera over the flub.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #110
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Probably a good idea she respond to it, but seriously, who forgets the lyrics to a song like that? Even in a high pressure situation like that, someone seasoned like her should be able to remember.