Navigation » YakkityYaks - Big Brother 21 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers! > Yakkster's Lounge > Live at Five with Yakkity Yaks > The Political Yak » Karen Handel resigns from Komen w/a blame throwing letter

Notices

The Political Yak Got thoughts on the political landscape? Come on in!

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Crystal
Senior Yakster

Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Karen Handel resigns from Komen w/a blame throwing letter

http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insid...-for-the-cure/

Karen Handel, the former GOP candidate for governor, just announced her resignation as a senior vice president for public of Susan G. Komen for the Cure – one week after the breast cancer charity reversed itself on a decision to sever financial ties with Planned Parenthood.

Below is the letter. Note that Handel says she is declining the offer of a severance package from Komen — which might have required her to keep silent. She’s got a session with reporters this afternoon in Atlanta.

February 7, 2012

The Honorable Nancy Brinker

CEO, Susan G. Komen for the Cure VIA EMAIL

5005 LBJ Freeway, Suite 250

Dallas, Texas 75244

Dear Ambassador Brinker:

Susan G. Komen for the Cure has been the recognized leader for more 30 years in the fight against breast cancer here in the US – and increasingly around the world.

As you know, I have always kept Komen’s mission and the women we serve as my highest priority – as they have been for the entire organization, the Komen Affiliates, our many supporters and donors, and the entire community of breast cancer survivors. I have carried out my responsibilities faithfully and in line with the Board’s objectives and the direction provided by you and Liz.

We can all agree that this is a challenging and deeply unsettling situation for all involved in the fight against breast cancer. However, Komen’s decision to change its granting strategy and exit the controversy surrounding Planned Parenthood and its grants was fully vetted by every appropriate level within the organization. At the November Board meeting, the Board received a detailed review of the new model and related criteria. As you will recall, the Board specifically discussed various issues, including the need to protect our mission by ensuring we were not distracted or negatively affected by any other organization’s real or perceived challenges. No objections were made to moving forward.

I am deeply disappointed by the gross mischaracterizations of the strategy, its rationale, and my involvement in it. I openly acknowledge my role in the matter and continue to believe our decision was the best one for Komen’s future and the women we serve. However, the decision to update our granting model was made before I joined Komen, and the controversy related to Planned Parenthood has long been a concern to the organization. Neither the decision nor the changes themselves were based on anyone’s political beliefs or ideology. Rather, both were based on Komen’s mission and how to better serve women, as well as a realization of the need to distance Komen from controversy. I believe that Komen, like any other nonprofit organization, has the right and the responsibility to set criteria and highest standards for how and to whom it grants.

What was a thoughtful and thoroughly reviewed decision – one that would have indeed enabled Komen to deliver even greater community impact – has unfortunately been turned into something about politics. This is entirely untrue. This development should sadden us all greatly.

Just as Komen’s best interests and the fight against breast cancer have always been foremost in every aspect of my work, so too are these my priorities in coming to the decision to resign effective immediately. While I appreciate your raising a possible severance package, I respectfully decline. It is my most sincere hope that Komen is allowed to now refocus its attention and energies on its mission.

Sincerely,

- By Jim Galloway, Political Insider
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Crystal
Senior Yakster

Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts

She'll be meeting w/reporters this afternoon.

Pass the popcorn!
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,477 Times in 5,531 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

Awww poor Karen. Whatev. The foundation will never be the same. I would never donate to them anyway. The charity stopped being a charity a long time ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheKdd For This Useful Post:
Hapyhouswf (02-07-2012), Mystycl (02-07-2012), Shiny Beige (02-07-2012)

Old 02-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
grandmamichelf
Bodyguard

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,801 Posts
Groans: 193
Groaned at 30 Times in 28 Posts

Guess she didn't get the memo that Planned Parenthood does provide a service to women that has nothing to do with abortions. Pathetic stone throwing letter.
Do not walk in front of me, I will step on you. Do not walk beside me, I will bitch slap you. Do not walk behind me, I will turn around and kick you. I did not come through time and space to bandy words with a witless worm.

Grandma's looking for a grill. If you don't know what that means, you don't know Grandma.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
grandmamichelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,477 Times in 5,531 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

What it comes down to is an organization that was begun with thoughtful, helpful intentions has grown into a something completely different. They shouldn't even have non-profit status when their CEO rakes in $460,000 a year in salary.

They have become just a middle man. "Donate to us, we will donate to places for you after we pay our salaries. However, please note that we will only donate to people we agree with politically."

This organization's history: Susan Goodman, later Susan Goodman Komen, was born in 1943 in Peoria, Illinois. She was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 33. She died of the disease at age 36 in 1980. Komen's younger sister, Nancy Goodman Brinker, who believed that Susan's outcome might have been better if patients knew more about cancer and its treatment, promised her sister that she would do everything she could to end breast cancer. To fulfill that promise, Brinker founded the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation in Komen's memory in 1982.

(Notice it does not say that she promised her sister that "she would do everything she could to end breast cancer as long as I agree with every decision a clinic makes, and I will make a huge salary doing it.")

The organization has lost it's way and has for a good long time now. I for one am glad this happened to them so it can be brought to light. People, I hope, now know that if they really want to donate, they should be donating direct to the source. That way, people can make their own decisions on who they believe should receive the money or not... to someone they agree with politically, ethically, and morally if they choose. I personally don't need anyone to decide that for me.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKdd For This Useful Post:
Shiny Beige (02-07-2012)