Navigation » YakkityYaks - Big Brother 21 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers! > Yakkster's Lounge > Yak On! > Reaching Out » Dealing with Matchmakers...any advice....

Notices

Reaching Out Need advice on something, or just want to talk to another Yakkster? Open up here. Rainbow Bridge here as well.

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
MissSouthernLady
YBB Executive Producer

Thanked 1,035 Times in 615 Posts
Groans: 8
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default Dealing with Matchmakers...any advice....

Hey Ya'll

I need some advice on how to deal with matchmakers. As most of you know I am 25 an assistant teacher and well single. I have been single most of my life. Yes I have never had a boyfriend. I have went on one blind date in my life and it was horrible. I didn't date in high school because I was dealing with health problems due to my mild form of cerebral palsy. I didn't date in college because I was too focused on school. And l have intimadated boys and some men because they look at me and see imperfection. I am saying all that to say this.

My sister is getting married in May. I will be her Maid of Honor. Well my grandmother has already started with matchmaking. A few weeks ago at revival at my church my granma decided to tell me that I should date the visiting song leader (who is also a preacher). I was appalled...first of all I didn't go to revival to get a man. Sorry but that is not me. Well tonight she decided to bring it up again in FRONT of the whole CHURCH! I was mortified! The worst thing could happen was that another lady who I am very close to agreed with her! I didn't know what to do.

I haven't always had the best relationship with my grandma. She wasn't really there for me growing up and now she is the only one that I have left.

what can I do to make her see that I will date when I am ready and it will be with the one that God has for me to marry.

ADVICE PLEASE THANKS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MissSouthernLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,644 Times in 6,619 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,038 Times in 953 Posts

Yikes! To bring it up in front of the whole church seems much to me, too, especially with how personal it is for you. She's probably doing what she thinks a grandma should do, but still. I would talk to her about it - be honest. Even if you aren't close, that's something you want to bring up. If she feels like someone might be a good fit, you can tell her you're entertain the suggestion and thank her for thinking of you, but the rest and how you proceed is your call. She should know that.

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 19wingz For This Useful Post:
Mystycl (10-15-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
MissSouthernLady
YBB Executive Producer

my mamaw (my mom's mom) used to tell me that I needed a friend that never bothered me because I knew that she wanted me to have what she had (70 years of marriage).

The thing is I did talk to my granma after the first time and she said that she was teasing and wouldn't do it again. But she did anyway. It just frustrates me because the pastor (song leader) that she was refering to is friends with my pastor and his wife and my pastor's wife was sitting there the whole time and she said that he was my age. I know she was just teasing but I don't want it to get back to the guy what is being said because that would be so awkward because he is supposed to conduct a bible study at my church in January

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,473 Times in 5,527 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

Tell her you're a lesbian. That oughta do it LOL

Yeah, just kidding, although...

I agree with Wingz. It's time to have a serious chat. It's too bad too because what if one of the dudes she tried to set you up with you actually liked... you won't, because of how it all started. Tell her things will happen naturally and stop pushing. Tell her you will NEVER date someone you are set up with, ever, and to leave it alone.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKdd For This Useful Post:
Mystycl (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

People tend to think that what they have is best and try to force it upon others. She just wants to see you happy, and thought that by you not having someone for 25 years that you aren't happy. That being said, as Wingz and KDD said, you need talk to her and erect a boundary.

You could see what the guy is like though, when you have your Bible study group. You never know why things occur in life.

Brought to you by the inventor of #singleswag
Old 10-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
MissSouthernLady
YBB Executive Producer

Yeah I will talk to her again. When the guy came back last January for a bible study a lady decided to tell my mom that she thought that the guy and me would be a good fit. It is just I have never seen myself.as being a person who could date or marry a pastor. I dont know if I could handle that pressure

Old 10-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSouthernLady View Post
Yeah I will talk to her again. When the guy came back last January for a bible study a lady decided to tell my mom that she thought that the guy and me would be a good fit. It is just I have never seen myself.as being a person who could date or marry a pastor. I dont know if I could handle that pressure
I've often found that the only limitations in my life are those that I set for myself. You never know. Closing yourself off to opportunity doesn't work. Take risks, make mistakes, and live life. Pressure makes diamonds, and look how beautiful I am. All kidding aside, the only pressure you apply in your love life is from yourself. Exogenous forces don't exist unless you allow them in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sphinx For This Useful Post:
Shiny Beige (10-15-2012), TheKdd (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
MissSouthernLady
YBB Executive Producer

Thanks Sphinx I needed to hear that

Old 06-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
MissSouthernLady
YBB Executive Producer

Wow just came across this thread! Its funny how now the guy that I was talking about in this thread is now dating my best friend of 20 years. Funny how life works. It was like 3 months after this that I decided to join eharmony and met my "friend". I guess it was all in God's timing. I must say that I am a lot happier now than I was then

The Following User Says Thank You to MissSouthernLady For This Useful Post:
Cathy (06-18-2013)

Old 06-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
Cathy
Shot Bun

Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,641 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 29 Times in 27 Posts

It is all in God's hands....and Zach that was excellent advice