Navigation » YakkityYaks - Big Brother 21 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers! > Yak's Athletics > Football > College Football » Penn State: Paterno Fired:UPDATE NEW CHARGES

Notices

College Football Shouldn't need an explanation for this one. If you do, OH EM GEE.

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
grandmamichelf
Bodyguard

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,801 Posts
Groans: 193
Groaned at 30 Times in 28 Posts

Well, Paterno hasn't retired yet. Nebraska plays Penn State this weekend and it's all over the news...speculation as to whether Paterno will show up or not. Who cares if he does? This isn't about him and it shouldn't be. It should be about the boys who were molested. It should be about the pedophile that was allowed to continue to come on that campus. It shouldn't be speculation over some old football coach.

And I heard something funny on The Talk and I agree with it to a certain extent. Sharon Osborne said that Paterno was way past his "sell by" date for even coaching football so he should have stepped down a long time ago.
Do not walk in front of me, I will step on you. Do not walk beside me, I will bitch slap you. Do not walk behind me, I will turn around and kick you. I did not come through time and space to bandy words with a witless worm.

Grandma's looking for a grill. If you don't know what that means, you don't know Grandma.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
grandmamichelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Thanked 1,020 Times in 909 Posts
Groans: 80
Groaned at 81 Times in 72 Posts

In reading articles online I'm seeing Penn State fans defending him, and saying that he shouldn't leave now b/c it would destroy a good football team and season. Seriously astounds me anyone would place a higher value on a sports program than the safety of a child.

“If you’re looking for sympathy you’ll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.”
— David Sedaris, Barrel Fever
KaysarRocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

You're really that shocked?
Old 11-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
You're really that shocked?
Yes, completely. Would never fathom that someone would place higher value on a goddamn sports program rather than the lost innocence of a child.

“If you’re looking for sympathy you’ll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.”
The Following User Says Thank You to KaysarRocks For This Useful Post:
Shiny Beige (11-09-2011)
Old 11-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #15
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaysarRocks View Post
Yes, completely. Would never fathom that someone would place higher value on a goddamn sports program rather than the lost innocence of a child.
Guess I'm too jaded for this world.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sphinx For This Useful Post:
Shiny Beige (11-09-2011)

Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #16
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Totally understand Sphinx. I'm just glad to hear on ABC News that the Board of Trustees has the say as to whether or not the Child Rapids Cover Up Coach gets to stay through the end of the season or not.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #17
TheArtistFrmlyKnownAs
Senior Yakster

Groans: 70
Groaned at 37 Times in 30 Posts

Paterno and the Penn State president are fired!
Karadise (11-10-2011), Mystycl (11-09-2011)
Old 11-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #18
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

Thanked 7,425 Times in 5,391 Posts
Groans: 278
Groaned at 153 Times in 143 Posts

now way? seriously?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mystycl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #19
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

Penn State's board of trustees says the school has severed ties with football coach Joe Paterno.
cnn.com

Old 11-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #20
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

HOT DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my faith in humanity is restored!!!

(CNN) -- Coach Joe Paterno and the president of the school have lost their jobs, effective immediately, over a child sex abuse scandal at Penn State, university trustees announced Wednesday night.

John P. Surma, vice chairman of trustees, said that President Graham Spanier was being replaced and Paterno, the longtime head football coach, would not finish the remainder of the season.

Tom Bradley will be Penn State head coach in Joe Paterno's absence. Rod Erickson, executive vice president and provost of the school, will be interim president, school officials said.

Spanier has been president of the school since 1995.

Earlier, Paterno, 84, issued a statement saying he was "absolutely devastated by the developments" involving a former assistant football coach and two university officials and that he would end his 46-year tenure as head football coach at the end of the season. The trustees decided to move that timetable up.

"I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief," Paterno said. "With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

Paterno's contract is set to expire at the end of the season. Some had called for him to resign immediately because of his response to allegations brought to him in 2002 by a graduate assistant, who said he had seen retired defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, now 67, sexually assaulting a young boy in a shower at the campus football complex.

Paterno reported the allegations to his boss. Pennsylvania's attorney general said it appeared Paterno had met his obligations under state law, but critics have said the coach should have reported the suspected abuse to police.

Sandusky, who was arrested Saturday, is accused of sexual offenses, child endangerment and "corruption of a minor" involving eight boys, most or all of whom he met through The Second Mile, the charity he founded to help troubled youths, prosecutors said.
Two Penn State officials are accused of failing to report the alleged abuse.

The U.S. Department of Education said it will launch an investigation into whether Penn State failed to comply with an act requiring colleges and universities to disclose the number of reported criminal incidents on campus each year. "In addition, in certain cases, the institution must issue a timely warning if a reported crime represents a threat to the campus community," it said in a statement.
"If these allegations of sexual abuse are true then this is a horrible tragedy for those young boys. If it turns out that some people at the school knew of the abuse and did nothing or covered it up, that makes it even worse," Education Secretary Arne Duncan said in a statement. "Schools and school officials have a legal and moral responsibility to protect children and young people from violence and abuse."

Last edited by Mystycl; 11-09-2011 at 07:38 PM.