Notices

Yakkity's Movie and Celeb Central Check out our movie selection and don't forget to pick up the latest celebrity news and gossip!

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
requiem
Ruby Chen

Thanked 5,236 Times in 3,668 Posts
Groans: 1,056
Groaned at 821 Times in 577 Posts
Default mother!

Just went to this tonight....

I have lost all respect for Jennifer Lawrence. I have lost all respect for Paramount Studios. I have lost all respect for my favourite director and I am completely disturbed at what I just watched.

This film was mismarketed and misleading and crossed so many fucking lines. It was fucked up without purpose and just....what the fuck.

I strongly recommend NOT watching this film.

Fuck you to everyone involved. TOO FUCKING FAR!

#ShineBrightLikeARuby

"Everybody knows I'm a mother fucking monster!" - Kanye West

"You can take away my car and you can take away my keys...But you can't take away my dreams because I'm like sleeping when I have them." - NATR
requiem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Thanked 5,208 Times in 3,329 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 188 Times in 159 Posts

That's so funny. I was just reading to my wife articles about what happens in the movie, and how so many people despise it. Then I come here and see this. The fans actually gave it an F grade on CinemaScore, which is rare. But on Rotten Tomatoes it's currently at 77%. After reading about it I definitely will never watch it.
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yellowdog For This Useful Post:
requiem (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #3
requiem
Ruby Chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowdog View Post
That's so funny. I was just reading to my wife articles about what happens in the movie, and how so many people despise it. Then I come here and see this. The fans actually gave it an F grade on CinemaScore, which is rare. But on Rotten Tomatoes it's currently at 77%. After reading about it I definitely will never watch it.
Darren is my favourite director....hell, even my name here is dedicated to his art. I just think there are something's people don't need to see and this boasted everything but a rape scene. Brutality can be beautiful if it leads somewhere, this film didn't. It was just a boring movie for an hour followed by the most insane 40 minutes of film I've ever viewed.

I'm not sure why the critics like it. I just doesn't go anywhere, mean anything or allude to something greater. It was beauitfully shot for the most part and certainly gets a reaction, but I think the critics are just being kind for art sake. I was aware of the F grade but just assumed it was another hard to digest Darren film. How wrong I was. I still can't get certain scenes out of my head and not in a good way.

#ShineBrightLikeARuby

"You can take away my car and you can take away my keys...But you can't take away my dreams because I'm like sleeping when I have them." - NATR

Old 09-17-2017, 04:38 AM   #4
requiem
Ruby Chen

After reading about this movie for hours...I at least understand what I watched. In hindsight, it's actually very smart. I may watch this again down the road to appreciate all the details that I just didn't understand.

#ShineBrightLikeARuby

Old 09-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
ABondgirl00
Platinum Yakkster

Groans: 1
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts

I trust anything you say Robbie!
ABondgirl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ABondgirl00 For This Useful Post:
requiem (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #6
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,644 Times in 6,619 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,038 Times in 953 Posts

I'm not going to see it ... So, what happens? Why the outrage?

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #7
Elizabeth
Senior Yakster

Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts

So .... from what I've read it's a horrible movie. Basically, Jennifer Lawrence is Mother Earth, her husband is God, and all the selfish people who descend on their home wanting to live there are us. Most of the outrage comes from the portrayal of God as a narcissistic dude who only wants everyone to love him.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #8
requiem
Ruby Chen

Most of my outrage comes from....

.....spoilers.......

....the last 40 minutes which just felt like it wa created to test your ability to keep watching. Darren didn't shy away from the brutality at all, where most directors would slide to such violence, he keeps it focused on the worst aspects.

Near the end of this long and fucked up sequence...Jennifer Lawrence's newborn baby has his neck snapped and they you clearly see the dismembered newborn as the crowd begins to eat the baby. An upset Jennifer Lawrence gets crazy mad and starts slashing at people who then in turn graphically beat the living shit out of her. It's like nothing I've ever seen and don't care to see. But in general, it was 40 minutes of non stop madness. It was just all a little much.

I appreciate the movie more so now after reading about it all day, but I still feel compelled to warn people before they decide to watch. It's not a movie for a large auidance.

#ShineBrightLikeARuby

Old 09-17-2017, 05:30 PM   #9
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Thanked 5,208 Times in 3,329 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 188 Times in 159 Posts

And then doesn't she catch on fire and her husband literally rips her heart out?
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #10
requiem
Ruby Chen

Yeah, that was the conclusion to that whole scene. She lights the house on fire and then you see the husband (who is totally fine) carrying a super burnt J. law. He puts her on a table where he asks for one more thing, her love which is her heart. Very graphic.

The heart then turns into a crystal which was seen earlier in the movie and represents the fruit of temptation from the story of Adam and Eve...

....the movie ends with a new woman in the husbands life and the process begins again.

It was also really weird to see Kirsten Wigg shooting people in the head execution style before getting blown to shit by a bomb.

#ShineBrightLikeARuby