Notices

The Creative Yakkster Show off your creative side!

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Mrs_Searss
Senior Yakster

Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Stuck -

I've been writing a book since October of last year. After writing five chapters I decided to change the book almost entirely-Since then it is so hard to write. Adele gets me in my writing mood but other then that there is nothing. Once I realized that Adele gave me the itch I put her on my mp3 player and sit there with my pen and paper. A few sentences come but it seems I always get stuck. I feel like I'm rambling, kinda like I'm doing now. To finish this book would mean so much to me but with the way I feel , it just seems it will not happen. Any other writers out there with any tips??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mrs_Searss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,656 Times in 6,627 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,039 Times in 954 Posts

Not a writer, but I know when I write things for school I usually have to change venues. Get out of where I normally write or where I normally spend my time and try again. I would also say that stepping away for a day or two usually helps, but you've tried that, it seems.

As odd as this sounds, but how about sitting with a cup of coffee or your favorite hot drink while writing. Its the soothing aspect that sometimes helps. ? Sorry, not a writer by any stretch of the imagination, but thought I'd throw a couple of these obvious ones out there.

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Mrs_Searss
Senior Yakster

Maybe I should try the coffee. My biggest problem is I am my biggest critic. My hubby and my mom have both read my "original" transcript. They like it- Both said it could use some editing but it could be something. But in my mind after reading it over and over and over again it just isn't right. I thought by changing the first chapter (Which I completely hated) would help. But now after writing it over I'm finding myself leaning back to the original. It's like a whirlwind that will not cease.

Don't know maybe I'll do some thinking on it and be able to figure things out lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
CR
Team Rachel V2.0

Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts

1. Answer this: How many characters have you given a name and described yet?

2. Write down the first six that came to mind when you read that question?

3. Now roll a six sided die, perhaps courtesy of your nearest game of yahtzee.

4. Write one paragraph where that character dies in some highly unlikely manner.
Something you'd see on an episode of CSEye. Example: Willows turns to Grissom and says, "It appears the victim was a really big fan of The Smurrrfs, and accidentally drank paint thinner while trying to wash off his hefty costume." Grissom responds, "Well, he certainly wasn't...brainy." Somewhere in Miami, a detective takes off his sunglasses in anger that he didn't get to use that reply.

5. Now write one paragraph why killing off that character would be a very, very bad idea. Convince yourself that that particular figment of your imagination deserves more words on paper, more words on a screen.

6a. If you can't accomplish number 5, then scrap that character and write about anyone else on the list.
6b. If you accomplished number 5, then you write your next chapter about that character.

(Yes, I misspelled some things. Take that, copyright and thought police.)
CR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CR For This Useful Post:
Mrs_Searss (06-14-2012), Mystycl (06-15-2012), Shiny Beige (06-15-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Thanked 5,208 Times in 3,329 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 188 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Searss View Post
I've been writing a book since October of last year. After writing five chapters I decided to change the book almost entirely-Since then it is so hard to write. Adele gets me in my writing mood but other then that there is nothing. Once I realized that Adele gave me the itch I put her on my mp3 player and sit there with my pen and paper. A few sentences come but it seems I always get stuck. I feel like I'm rambling, kinda like I'm doing now. To finish this book would mean so much to me but with the way I feel , it just seems it will not happen. Any other writers out there with any tips??
Well, luckily for you I'm a writer and a damn good one at that. In all honesty, the best thing to do is write and ramble all you want. Make sure you write a set number of pages a day and don't stay from that. It doesn't matter if it sucks. Just write them. Writing is mostly rewriting anyway. The finished product is just a small percentage of what a writer actually wrote. If you ramble for ten pages, you may find one good nugget that makes the cut. You may find none. You may find a damn good ten pages. It doesn't matter. It's all part of the process. And the more you write, the better you'll get, and then the more of those ten pages stick.

After awhile you will see that a lot of those so-called ramblings at the time coalesce into a solid narrative that you can then spring board off. I've had many times where two seemingly opposite scenes were brought together amazingly by one little thought that tied them together. Then polish, polish, polish once you have a lot of good material. But don't start polishing until you're far along. If you do that you will spin your wheels. Bottom line, even the greats don't ultimately use most of what they've written. Nobody, even the greats, write every scene perfectly. Hemingway wrote the last page of his classic "A Farewell to Arms" 39 times.

Anyway, that's my advice. It sounds like you're too worried about making it perfect immediately. Just write like crazy without worrying if it's good, then rewrite, rewrite, rewrite until it is good.
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yellowdog For This Useful Post:
Mrs_Searss (06-15-2012), Mystycl (06-15-2012), Shiny Beige (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
Mrs_Searss
Senior Yakster

So funny my hubby told me almost the exact same thing this morning. He told me just to write, go back through it and edit. Your right about the perfect thing it even keeps me up at night. Think i'm just going to do that write and write and then worry about making it perfect. Thanks.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

And one little trick to help with writer's block is to stop not at the end of a great brainstorm but rather in the middle. That way you know exactly where to start the next day and you can start on a roll right away. If you exhaust an entire great passage in one sitting you will come back the next day and have to start all over again to get back on a roll. But if you already know that you're finishing your great roll from the day before you are ahead of the game for that day.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Oh, and remember that a great artist never quits; he simply abandons it!!!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
Mrs_Searss
Senior Yakster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowdog View Post
Oh, and remember that a great artist never quits; he simply abandons it!!!
lol ... I have "abandoned" quite a few stories before. This one that I'm working on now though I just simply can't. I feel drawn to my characters, I think about them constantly. I don't want to abandon them and give up on them. It feels like their story must be told. I've wrote some today already, I have to make times to write. My boys are very demanding lol. The best time is after they go down for bed. Then I am able to sit and write until my heart desires (well until 10:30PM anyways lol).

Old 06-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

I didn't mean abandon them completely. It's a well known quote that artists don't finish they just abandon, which means there comes a point when you just stop rewriting and it's done. If you don't you will just keep rewriting it forever. Eventually you just have to stop writing and tell yourself that it's finished and that's that.