Notices

19Wingz Medical Mysteries Have a question for our resident medical doc, 19Wingz? Ever wonder about anything to do with medicine? Come on in.

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 05:50 AM   #1
Isaac
Senior Yakster

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default allergies???

Have you ever heard of anybody developing an allergy to swimming pool chlorine? This has only been going on for the past few years, but it seems as though every time I go into a pool with plenty of chlorine (mainly indoor hotel swimming pools), my sinuses just blow up. It kinda feels like I have a sinus infection.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,477 Times in 5,531 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

Yep, many people get it. Whether it's an allergy from chlorine or just too much pool water getting in your nose, MANY people suffer from this... called swimmers sinusitis. You can get a nose clip to swim with which many professional swimmers do, or, blow your nose immediately after swimming and use some saline (like Simply Saline) to clear it out. If that doesn't help, try a neti pot... works great for that also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Isaac
Senior Yakster

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just had my kid in for an ear infection, and I asked the doctor about this. She said that it could be a histamine reaction and that preloading with something like sudafed could help prevent it.

Can't squirt anything up my nose (just a personal thing), so the nose clip seems like more of a probability too!
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote