Notices

Arguers Corner The Yak's "no holds barred" area, so argue away. The views expressed aren't necessarily the views of YakkityYaks as an entity.

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Zach...the only one continuing endlessly with this is you. I believe we should have all the same rights and benefits, I just don't like that its called marriage. This opinion is mine, please give it up.
Your argument is vacuous and lacks any substance other than your opinion, which you cannot actually provide any evidence other than your 'feelings.' Please give it up? You're the one pouting around being a whiny, passive aggressive, bitch. "Sigh, shake my head." If you want, I can go back to the chat log and pull up other things you said that are absolutely abhorrent. Do you really want to see what I'm capable of doing? Because by all means, I will show you. I ain't got a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
And very classy btw. Sorry if I didn't want to keep up with your argument. I see now your just being rude. All I can do IS sigh at you.
My argument? I do believe to 'argue' it takes at the bare minimum two. I'm saying, back your argument up. You can't. There's absolutely no support to it. I'm just being rude? You're going around making passive aggressive statements, being a troll quite frankly, and then you'll whine that it's 'personal' and that I've gone too far. Yet, there you were making personal jabs and insinuations against my character. Go fuck yourself.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
How would "common-law marriage" fit in here? Or I think the Latin phrase for it is "sui juris" which (according to wikipedia) means "of one's own right". I know I"m not privy to the entirety of the coversation. I was just wondering if this had anything to do with it???
what do you mean by common-law marriage?

Old 11-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
Isaac
Senior Yakster

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
what do you mean by common-law marriage?
I can't specifically describe it, so I'll cut and paste requirements that I found on a website:

There are no absolute rules or guidelines; whether or not a common law marriage exists depends on the facts of each situation. However, a common law marriage can occur only when all of the following occur

• You are a heterosexual couple who lives together in a state that recognizes common law marriages

• You have lived together for a significant amount of time (not defined in any state). Despite much belief to the contrary, the length of time you live together does not by itself determine whether a common law marriage exists. No state law or court decision says seven years or ten years of cohabitation is all that is needed for a common law marriage. It’s only one factor the court may consider.

• You hold yourselves out to the community (your neighbors, friends, and coworkers) as a married couple—typically, this means using the same last name, referring to the other as “my husband” or “my wife,” and filing a joint tax return.

Only a certain number of states allow this, which are:
Alabama
Colorado
District of Columbia
Georgia (if created before 1/1/97)
Idaho (if created before 1/1/96)
Iowa
Kansas
Montana
New Hampshire (for inheritance purposes only)
Ohio (if created before 10/10/91)
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania (if created before 1/1/05)
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Texas
Utah

The first bulleted point mentioned "heterosexual couple", but I'm wondering if DOMA changed it???
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote