Navigation » YakkityYaks - Big Brother 21 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers! > Do Talk Back! > Arguers Corner » Ferguson/Michael Brown/Eric Garner/Tamir Rice

Notices

Arguers Corner The Yak's "no holds barred" area, so argue away. The views expressed aren't necessarily the views of YakkityYaks as an entity.

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2014, 01:20 AM   #11
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,477 Times in 5,531 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

Still disagree.

Blacks make up just 12% of the population of the US. And yet, blacks and whites are at the exact same percentage in prison, both at 40%.

We also know that more whites are on government payroll than blacks, just by sheer statistics. So poor cannot be the only factor.

On top of that, personally... My husband is Hispanic. In his lifetime, he has been pulled over multiple times, searched multiple times because "he didn't look like he belonged in the neighborhood." Blacks deal with that on a daily basis, being followed in stores, car doors locking as they pass and yes, police automatically believing they did something bad. This isn't imaginary. Many on the ferguson police department alone have been tied to the KKK.

Perception of blacks is still seen as less than human by a large amount of our society.

People get so uppity when someone mentions "white privilege" but there is no denying that it exists. Whites need to understand it's not a dig, it's just truth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKdd For This Useful Post:
19wingz (12-06-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
Elizabeth
Senior Yakster

Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts

My nephew is a county sheriff and just last week he and a couple of deputies got kicked, scratched and bitten by someone they had arrested -- he apparently had taken a lot of drugs and went berserk. These officers did not pull their guns and they did not use tasers on the guy simply because of all the bad press police officers have been getting lately. The officers now have to be tested for Hepatitis C and maybe AIDS. I would not want to be a police officer in our current society -- they have a thankless job.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #13
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Thanked 5,208 Times in 3,329 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 188 Times in 159 Posts

My brother-in-law recently died and he was a PA State Policeman for 20+ years. Not until he died did it come out the things he did. He arrested one guy that had nowhere to put his furniture when he was in jail so my brother-in-law put it in his own garage. Another time he bought hundreds of dollars worth of Christmas presents for a family who lost the dad in a car accident. Police do things like that a lot more often than shoot innocent people.
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yellowdog For This Useful Post:
Mystycl (12-09-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #14
TheKdd
Your mama what?

I'm not saying they don't, and I'm definitely not saying they are all bad. I just wish the good ones wouldn't keep their mouths shut about the bad, but I know there are repercussions for doing so.

My biggest problem is how much bigger this is than just Michael Brown or Eric Garner, but racism and oppression in general. What this has done is bring to light the sheer amount of racism that is still out there. I can't tell you how many times I read in one day about how blacks should "get off their lazy asses and get a job" or how at this point in our history, there is no reason other than laziness a black person should be on government assistance or uneducated. That's just not true.

First, there are more white people on the government payroll than blacks, but for some reason, these people that say these things don't think that's as big of a deal.

Secondly, we can still sit and talk with someone who can tell you what it was like to walk into the white school for the first time. We had to pass laws not that long ago to make workplaces hire blacks, colleges accept them. There is one high school that I know of in South Carolina that had their first de-segregated prom... JUST LAST YEAR.

So many people say "oh yeah we should feel sorry for them because slavery." Well yeah, we should, but oppression is in our much more recent history than that. We are still in the generation of them getting to go to the white school!

Think of it this way. White people came here, made towns, started businesses, worked at companies with pensions, bought homes, kept up homes etc. They were able to pass these things along to the children, their grandchildren etc. Blacks haven't had that shot yet. Grandma did get to go to the white school however!

People think that since it's been a whopping 30,40,50 years since affirmative action that all should just magically be well. It isn't. The black community has a lot of work to do. A LOT. It will be an uphill battle to get out of the position many are in. However, this racist crap and oppression needs to stop or most will never succeed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKdd For This Useful Post:
19wingz (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #15
Tina
Bronze Yakkster/Admin Asst.

Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,468 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts

I think Michael Brown was a thug no matter what color he was. i am not going to say that the verdict was right or wrong in this case because I haven't done enough research. What I have read leads me to believe he was a punk and made really bad stupid choices. I may come from a different mindset because I have two nephews who are amazing men who are police officers. Upstanding, honest men who chose that profession because they wanted to protect and serve. The abuse they receive and the death threats from people to themselves and to their families is unbelievable! Especially from the gang members here. Now I don't know about you but to me gang members are dangerous, useless pieces of shit. Not saying Michael Brown was a gang member. Just saying there is a criminal element out there that's very pervasive and someone has to protect people. I wouldn't be a cop for all the money in the world. It's a thankless job.

ELVIS has left the building!

Last edited by Tina; 12-09-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tina For This Useful Post:
Elizabeth (12-09-2014), Mystycl (12-09-2014)

Old 12-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #16
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

I think certain professions are at higher risk of incidence.

I've been bitten, punched, scratched, verbally disabused, etc. I routinely work with gang members as they are the most traumas in the summer due to gun shot wounds, stabs, etc. I don't see color/race, but I do see tear drop tattoos, I do hear the way you speak, but I won't treat them any differently. I may just be more on guard if you went for a punch earlier or you're highly combative. Shit just last night I had a patient call 911 on me twice in the room. It happens, you either have a tough enough skin to handle it or you buckle under the pressure.

The point of this isn't simply whether or not they 'got away with murder'. The point is the discussion and the bringing back the issue of 'race' into our society's purview. People think we've achieved some egalitarian state in the past 60+ years since the Civil Right's movement; that's not the case, we've just gotten better at shielding our prejudices under the umbrella of personal experience. Taboo topics still exist. I lack the knowledge or - to be perfectly honest - desire to investigate each respective cases. It's irrelevant because you can't change what happened.

The discussion should be why is this perception still ongoing - from both points of views. What contributes to it, etc. Is there deeply ingrained culture? Is it child rearing? But that's way to deep and would take uncovering some of society's deepest bullshit from all camps.

So I largely expect the usual response: Anger to Apathy to Acceptance.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #17
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Like I said though, this isn't about Michael Brown. He may have been a punk. Course I still say he was shot excessively, but it is what it is.

I do know this. My husband is hispanic. In the time I have been with him, he has been pulled over a couple times (more when we were younger) because he didn't look like he belonged in the neighborhood.

That's not ok.

He isn't a "thug" "punk" "gang member" etc. etc. He doesn't even look anything like that, talk like that, carry himself anything like that. It was solely based on his skin color. I'm sorry but it's just not ok.

This isn't something white people, like myself, has ever had to deal with. Presumed guilt, presumed innocence, all based on skin. Ridiculous.

~
~
Old 12-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #18
Isaac
Senior Yakster

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know if this has much to do with this exact instance, but he does make a bunch of good points, and he does talk about police at about 2:24. If this doesn't embed, my apologies, I don't know how to do it.

Last edited by PinkFreak; 12-10-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote