Notices

Arguers Corner The Yak's "no holds barred" area, so argue away. The views expressed aren't necessarily the views of YakkityYaks as an entity.

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,656 Times in 6,627 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,039 Times in 954 Posts

And that's exactly what I have told people. You don't agree, don't watch the show. I think that's exactly how to handle it from our standpoint. It's true ... you want an opinion, others get it too. I just can't believe (sadly, I really do believe) how people think he was WRONGED by how A&E responded to the comments. HE WAS WRONGED??!?! what?!?

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 19wingz For This Useful Post:
TheArtistFrmlyKnownAs (01-21-2014)
Old 12-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
requiem
Ruby Chen

Thanked 5,241 Times in 3,672 Posts
Groans: 1,056
Groaned at 821 Times in 577 Posts

Haha. I give A&E huge props for how they handled the situation. As a network that has long support gay rights and movement, him saying something like that hurt their brand.

But yes Joe...I agree. just don't watch or support. Seems like the best solution if someone is bothered by it.

#ShineBrightLikeARuby

"Everybody knows I'm a mother fucking monster!" - Kanye West

"You can take away my car and you can take away my keys...But you can't take away my dreams because I'm like sleeping when I have them." - NATR
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,656 Times in 6,627 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,039 Times in 954 Posts

Interesting read.

Quote:
On Wednesday, Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson made comments in a GQ interview condemning homosexuality as sinful and comparable to bestiality, as well as claiming that African Americans were better off under Jim Crow laws. A&E, the network that airs the program, has since suspended Robertson from filming, prompting conservatives to rush to his defense. Even some prominent lawmakers are insisting that his free speech is in danger.
Bobby Jindal (R), governor of Louisiana, which is where Duck Dynasty is filmed, argued that TV networks no longer believe in the First Amendment:
Phil Robertson and his family are great citizens of the State of Louisiana. The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with. I don’t agree with quite a bit of stuff I read in magazine interviews or see on TV. In fact, come to think of it, I find a good bit of it offensive. But I also acknowledge that this is a free country and everyone is entitled to express their views. In fact, I remember when TV networks believed in the First Amendment. It is a messed up situation when Miley Cyrus gets a laugh, and Phil Robertson gets suspended.
Sen. David Vitter (D-LA), similarly claimed on Twitter that it was “wrong” that Robertson is being “penalized” for his faith. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) offered on Facebook that “free speech matters”:
If you believe in free speech or religious liberty, you should be deeply dismayed over the treatment of Phil Robertson. Phil expressed his personal views and his own religious faith; for that, he was suspended from his job. In a free society, anyone is free to disagree with him–but the mainstream media should not behave as the thought police censoring the views with which they disagree.
Former half-term Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) was similarly worried about the fate of free speech:
Free speech is an endangered species. Those “intolerants” hatin’ and taking on the Duck Dynasty patriarch for voicing his personal opinion are taking on all of us.
In addition, a Facebook page called Stand with Phil Robertson now has over 700,000 “Likes” — more than double what it had Thursday morning — and directs visitors to a “petition” that collects information for the Tea Party-affiliated Patriot Action Network and urges A&E to apologize to Robertson. The conservative group Faith Driven Consumer has its own petition asserting that Robertson was “discriminated against” and should be reinstated immediately. A Twitter profile called simply @BoycottAETV now has over 11,000 followers, producing memes with messages like, “Freedom of speech is not just for liberals!” Even Herman Cain thinks “this crap is out of control.”
These outraged messages have largely defended Robertson’s anti-gay comments as an expression of his religious beliefs without acknowledging his remarks that African Americans were better off without full civil rights. On that point, they have been notably silent. Moreover, nothing about this situation has anything to do with “free speech.”
Robertson is a free man. He has not been arrested for his beliefs. He could continue to say whatever he’d like and, given the current media frenzy, it would probably be quickly published in many other places. Robertson could even take to his own website and publish whatever he wants to say, and individuals could share it through social media the world over. His freedom of speech has been in no way encumbered.
A&E, as a company, enjoys constitutional protections as well, and is under no obligation to provide a platform for messages it disagrees with. The network’s statement suspending Robertson from filming was telling in this regard: “His personal views in no way reflect those of A&E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community.” A&E is not Robertson’s employer, lest it be forgotten that the show Duck Dynasty is about his actual business, Duck Commander, which produces duck calls and other related (and not-so-related) products.
What actually is taking place is that conservatives are taking umbrage because a fellow conservative’s beliefs are being publicly criticized. This happens all the time. When Chick-fil-A head Dan Cathy, whose company gives millions of dollars annually to anti-gay groups, said that homosexuality is “twisted up kind of stuff” that is “inviting God’s judgment,” LGBT groups called for awareness-raising and boycotts while conservatives rushed to show their “appreciation.” The exact opposite happened when companies like Starbucks and General Mills announced their support for marriage equality: LGBT groups offered praise, while anti-gay groups vowed to dump their products.
All of this is emblematic of free speech. Free speech allows citizens to say things that are offensive and unpopular and it allows other citizens to disagree, as well as to choose whether to provide an ongoing platform for those remarks. If anything, the claim that Robertson’s free speech has somehow been inhibited is just a straw man to avoid addressing the merits of what he actually said: that all gay people are going to Hell and that African Americans don’t deserve a seat at the lunch counter.
SOURCE

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Thanked 5,208 Times in 3,329 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 188 Times in 159 Posts

People always say there's no free speech when things like this happens. Of course there is. The guy didn't go to jail for his comments. But you say stupid shit and you get the consequences. People will then treat you like a dumb ass that says stupid shit.
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yellowdog For This Useful Post:
Shiny Beige (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #15
Tina
Bronze Yakkster/Admin Asst.

Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,468 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Everyone has the right to their own opinion. Personally...I will no longer be watching Duck Dynasty or supporting it at all, but I can't expect to have my opinion if I fail to allow others to have their own. Free speech works both ways.

I think what bugs me the most is that the liberals and the conservatives are using this as a lightning pole topic. "Boycott A&E" "Free speech" "All rednecks are like that." Etc. etc. etc.

Anyway...that's my thought. Free speech indeed, but this show is no longer for me.
Totally agree. I don't watch Duck dynasty not for me but everyone IS entitled to their own opinion. the reality network thing is kind of silly to me. I mean TLC has polygamists, some channels have atheists, some christian BFD, we all know there are different types of religions. Who cares what his opinion is and unless the show is focused around just that what's the BFD?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ELVIS has left the building!
Tina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tina For This Useful Post:
requiem (12-19-2013)

Old 12-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
requiem
Ruby Chen

Thanked 5,241 Times in 3,672 Posts
Groans: 1,056
Groaned at 821 Times in 577 Posts

Well said Tina!

#ShineBrightLikeARuby

"Everybody knows I'm a mother fucking monster!" - Kanye West

"You can take away my car and you can take away my keys...But you can't take away my dreams because I'm like sleeping when I have them." - NATR
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #17
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Thanked 5,208 Times in 3,329 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 188 Times in 159 Posts

I think we should care about people's opinions when they are bigots. Do we care about the opinions of the KKK and nazis? Hateful opinions lead to a lot of pain for innocent people.
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yellowdog For This Useful Post:
Karadise (12-26-2013), Shiny Beige (12-19-2013), Sphinx (12-19-2013), TheArtistFrmlyKnownAs (01-21-2014), TheKdd (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #18
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowdog View Post
I think we should care about people's opinions when they are bigots. Do we care about the opinions of the KKK and nazis? Hateful opinions lead to a lot of pain for innocent people.
This.

Speech is a form of thought, which can directly translate into action.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sphinx For This Useful Post:
TheArtistFrmlyKnownAs (01-21-2014), TheKdd (12-19-2013)

Old 12-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #19
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,477 Times in 5,531 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowdog View Post
YES, THIS...most definitely agree.

Also, that article made me a little queasy wingz.

And also... This bemoaning that what he said was just his "faith"... I'm sorry, but I don't believe that being a Christian means you should be a bigot. Whether you agree or disagree with a Gay lifestyle, I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to be the judge of that, according to your "faith."

Secondly, saying that blacks were better off under the Jim Crow laws, how the hell does that have to do with his religion? It doesn't. He's a bigot, plain and simple.

However, mind you, I am not outraged in the least about this. First, I don't watch the show. I think it's garbage television. The networks are raking in bank because people like to watch train wrecks and it's cheap and easy to produce. I refuse to take a part in that. (Other than Big Brother lmao)

Secondly, to find out that some uneducated, ignorant, southern, white, duck hunting dude has homophobic and racist tendencies just doesn't come as a shock to me. Next you will tell me that Honey Boo Boo's mom thinks healthy food sucks. Make sure I'm sitting down for that please.

I'm REALLY tired of this BS all about me attitude our society has become. People need to go live their damn lives and leave other people alone that have zero impact on their own lives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheKdd For This Useful Post:
19wingz (12-21-2013), Shiny Beige (12-20-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #20
Elizabeth
Senior Yakster

Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wingz View Post
I have never seen 30 seconds of Duck Dynasty. Sure, dude can say what he wants, but I agree...this outrage of A&E losing reputation as a network or "jumping ship" by suspending him is absolute shit. It's not free speech, like TK said, when you are paid by a network. Free speech protects you from the government kicking you out of the country for saying that ... it does NOT protect you from your employer to do what they need to do from a PR standpoint.

Where was the outrage when Paula Deen was "mistreated" after what she said? White privilege is so very prevalent and people are seemingly getting more and more one dimensional. Bigotry is prevalent and isn't going anywhere anytime soon, sadly.
Okay, at the risk of you all getting really pissy with me .....

A&E knew this was the way Phil Robertson was. They knew he was an extremely conservative, gun-totin' Christian man who believes the Bible says homosexuality is wrong. So, basically, A&E liked that about him until it reflected badly on them. I certainly don't share Phil Robertson's views about homosexuality, but seriously, I don't think A&E has any business acting surprised about this.

And there was outrage for Paula Deen. I saw plenty of it on Facebook, but not as much as there has been for Phil Robertson.
19wingz (12-21-2013), Shiny Beige (12-20-2013), TheArtistFrmlyKnownAs (01-21-2014), Tina (12-20-2013)