Notices

Deadliest Catch Come discuss all things Deadliest Catch!

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Thanked 5,208 Times in 3,329 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 188 Times in 159 Posts
Default Discovery sues the Hillstrands

Quote:
DISCOVERY SUES 'DEADLIEST CATCH' STARS FOR $3 MILLION

Mon Sep 20, 2010 @ 08:57AM PST
By Eriq Gardner

Most reality TV producers follow a simple format: Capture what actually happens, then have cast-members fill in story gaps with voice-overs and cutaways. But what about when reality TV stars jump ship before sitting down for the required interviews?

They get sued, of course.

Discovery is now seeking $3 million in damages after two stars of "Deadliest Catch," Jonathan and Andy Hillstrand, allegedly failed to live up to an agreement to complete a spin-off project.

According to the lawsuit, filed last week in Maryland Circuit Court, the Hillstrands were to film a one-time special called "Hillstranded." The duo was coming off five seasons of "Deadliest Catch," one of the most popular programs on any Discovery-affiliated network. The special was to document the team's various adventures in Alaska; work unrelated to their jobs as crab fisherman. Two weeks of principal photography was shot in June, but there was still work to do.

"The Hillstrand Defendants determined that they would reverse course, dishonor their promises, and refuse to render the services necessary to complete 'Hillstranded,'" reads the complaint.

At the end of August, Discovery allegedly called the brothers to confirm a date, time and location for them to sit for interviews. The complaint says the only response was an e-mail from a lawyer for the brothers informing producers that they shouldn't attempt any further contact with them.

Discovery argues that the failure by Hillstrands to complete work has caused production on the show to remain uncompleted. The company says that the show would have earned significant ratings and that it has suffered substantial losses as a result. It is suing for $3 million for breaching contract.

The Hillstrand brothers couldn't be reached for comment.

SOURCE
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

Thanked 7,465 Times in 5,426 Posts
Groans: 282
Groaned at 153 Times in 143 Posts

i smell a rat...
i wanna hear their side!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mystycl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Thanked 1,020 Times in 909 Posts
Groans: 80
Groaned at 81 Times in 72 Posts

I do too Mys, but YD when I clicked that link I kept getting a window that said Oberon Media wanted my permission to allow something. I never got to the article, and that window popped up six thousand times. Annoying. I googled the story though.

This sucks, guess it guarantees we won't see TB on Deadliest Catch, right? That totally sucks too, they were one of my favorite boats.

“If you’re looking for sympathy you’ll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.”
— David Sedaris, Barrel Fever
KaysarRocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,477 Times in 5,531 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

Added the body of the article to YDs post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

I wish it could be worked out in some way so they could be on DC again. But if they dont' want any further contact with the Discovery Channel, safe bet is that they won't want their cameras on board either.

“If you’re looking for sympathy you’ll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.”
Old 09-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

link worked fine for me

Old 09-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Great Mys! Annoyed the piss out of me.

I'm CRUSHED at this, totally.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

http://www.timebandit.tv/

Old 09-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Mys, what are we looking for there?

I wonder if the producers of DC were producing this special, and if they weren't, and John/Andy wanted to still, could Thom Beers still have them on DC. I'm grasping at straws, but it would be so weird to not have them on, especially with Jake/josh who are goign to need so much help this next season. Plus, John said he was going to help them during Opies this year.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
KaysarRocks
Mega Yakster

Well, the captains are firing back, not so sure if they're going to be on next season now, lol, but somehow I doubt that they're going to have to sell their boat, I wouldn't think so anyway.

http://thresq.hollywoodreporter.com/...lls-fishy.html

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: The two "Deadliest Catch" captains sued by Discovery Communications for allegedly failing to perform work on a spinoff are firing back in a major way. Captains John and Andy Hillstrand say Discovery's $3 million lawsuit is an attempt to "extort" them and might even force them to sell their boats and fire their crews. They're also not afraid to take a swipe at the network's well-paid top executive.

"The recent actions of Discovery Communications are an astonishing and shameful instance of arrogance and greed run amok," the Hillstrands' lawyer Jeff Cohen tells us in an extended written statement. "While CEO David Zaslav reaps a $33.9 million bonanza in a single day in January 2010, his company attempts to bankrupt hardworking fishermen. Three million dollars is exponentially greater than any compensation ever paid to the 'Deadliest Catch' captains, and yet this is the figure Discovery is trying to extort from these men."

As we reported this morning, Discovery sued the Hillstrands for allegedly refusing to finish work on a planned "Deadliest Catch" spinoff called "Hillstranded." Footage allegedly was shot but the duo backed out before required voiceover and other work was completed.

Cohen, in his first public comments on the suit, suggests the lawsuit might cause the Hillstrands -- among the more popular stars of the Emmy-nominated "Catch" -- to give up their profession. "Isn't there enough unemployment in America without forcing hard-working sea captains to declare bankruptcy, sell their boats and fire their crews?," he asks.

Finally, Cohen references the death earlier this year of Captain Phil Harris, which was chronicled by the show.

"Discovery is a multi-billion dollar corporation making hundreds of millions of dollars from broadcasting the dangerous exploits of our clients," Cohen's statement says. "In light of all the tragedy witnessed by Captain Sig [Hansen], Capt. John and Capt. Andy this year, why can't Discovery let these working men move on with their lives?"