Notices

Live at Five with Yakkity Yaks Anything and everything news/weather related should go here

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

Thanked 7,468 Times in 5,428 Posts
Groans: 282
Groaned at 153 Times in 143 Posts
Exclamation 12 Dead, 59 Injured MASS SHOOTING!!!

Updated at 7:17 a.m. ET: At least 14 people were killed early Friday when a gunman opened fire at a midnight screening of the summer blockbuster "The Dark Knight Rises" near Denver, authorities and witnesses said.

Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates told reporters that 10 people died at the scene and four others died after being taken to local hospitals. At least 50 other people were injured, Oates said, including a six-year-old girl.

Witnesses said tear gas also went off in the theater.

A 24-year-old male suspect was apprehended in the shopping center's parking lot, Oates said.

The incident occurred in the Century 16 Movie Theaters at the Aurora Town Center, police told NBC News. Aurora is a suburb less than 10 miles east of downtown Denver.

NBC station KUSA-Denver cited a witness as seeing a black-clad 6-foot-tall man wearing a riot helmet, goggles and bullet-proof vest.

However, many people attended the film dressed in Batman-related costumes.

Witnesses said the gunman entered the theater through an emergency exit door.

The suspect was found in possession of a gas mask, Oates said. Ammunition was found in the suspect's car, police said.

Citing officials, NBC News' Pete Williams reported that the shooter had three weapons -- a rifle and two handguns. The suspect's car has Tennessee plates but authorities believe he was living locally.

Oates said there was no evidence of additional suspects.

The suspect's apartment building in north Aurora was evacuated after the suspect made a statement to police about possible explosives at his home, Oates said.

An FBI official told NBC News that the agency was working with local authorities on the investigation, but that there was no early indication of a link to terrorism. President Barack Obama had been notified by counterterrorism chief John Brennan and was aware of the incident, KUSA said.

In a statement, Obama said: "We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded. As we do when confronted by moments of darkness and challenge, we must now come together as one American family."

'Get us some damn gas masks'
Police raiding the theater in the hunt for the suspect had to ask for gas masks.
"Get us some damn gas masks for theater 9, we can't get in it," one officer radioed back to emergency dispatch during the operation, according to an excerpt aired on KUSA.

Witnesses told reporters that gunfire erupted during a shootout scene in the film.
Brenda Stuart, of 850 KOA radio, told Sky News that "a lot of people thought the gunshots were part of the movie."
She added that bullets had passed from one theater into an adjoining one.

'50-60 gunshots'

One young man told KUSA that he was out front of the theater with friends when the shooting broke out.

"Next thing you know you hear 'boom' like tear gas, a bomb. ... Then you hear gunshots go off, like a fully automatic weapon. [There were] like 50-60 gunshots," he told KUSA.
"I was just worried about getting out of there," he told KUSA

The man, who did not give his name, said he heard gunfire continue for at least 20 minutes.

"People were coming out of there screaming, some of the people were coming out of there bleeding. ... People were coming out with their shirts covered in blood," he said.

As he left the theater, eyewitness Hayden Miller told KUSA said people ran up to him and said "there was a gunman setting off bombs and shooting people. ... He wasn't giving anyone a chance to get out ... It hasn't really hit me. I'm in shock. It's insane that this can happen in a movie theater where people had gone to have fun."

Another eyewitness, whose name was not given, told KUSA that he "saw at least four, maybe five people limping, slightly wounded. ... I saw one girl covered in blood.

"I don't know whose little girl that was, but my heart goes out to them. ... A cop came walking through the front door ... holding a little girl in his arms and she wasn't moving, she wasn't moving," the young man, whose voiced cracked as he spoke, told KUSA.

Salina Jordan, 19, who was in Theater 8, told the Denver Post she saw one girl struck in the cheek and others in the stomach, including a girl who looked to be around 9 years old.

Jordan told the Post that someone ran into her theater yelling, "they're shooting out here!" An alarm came on, Jordan said, announcing there was a "murder in [the] theater."

Jordan told the newspaper she saw police carrying bodies out of the theater as well as officers opening fire.

Local emergency crews from several cities, including Denver and Boulder, converged on the scene, Stuart told Sky News.

Cathy Canzanora, a 911 dispatcher, told NBC News that emergency dispatchers were deluged with calls from "everybody who had cellphones in the theater" at 12:39 a.m. Friday local time (2:39 a.m. ET).

Police cars transport the wounded

The injured were being transported to several local hospitals, police told NBC.
KOA's Stuart said that police officers were taking victims to hospitals in their cars and not waiting for ambulances.

Natalie Goldstein, of Children's Hospital Colorado, said the facility was treating six patients from the shooting, ranging in age from 6 to 31.

Justin Bentzinger, a house supervisor at the Swedish Medical Center, told NBC News they were treating three patients. Two were in critical condition, the third was in fair condition.

Kalena Wilkinson, a public information officer for Denver Health, said six patients were taken to that hospital, with one in critical condition and the other five in "fair" conditions.

Tracy Weise, of the public relations department at Aurora Medical Center, told NBC News they were treating 12 patients with a range of injuries from minor to critical.

"We have a variety of ages, quite a few 20s, teenagers, that kind of age," she said.

Jacque Montgomery, a spokesperson for University of Colorado Hospital, told NBC News that they were treating 20 patients from the shooting.

"Injuries range from minor to severe gunshot injuries," she said.

At least three people had been treated for chemical exposure, KUSA reported.

Hundreds of witnesses who have not been injured have been taken to Gateway High School for a debriefing, local media reported.

"The Dark Knight Rises," starring Christian Bale and Anne Hathaway, is the latest in the popular Batman action movie franchise. Friday was its international premiere.

NBC station KUSA contributed to this report.
This is breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mystycl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
MissSouthernLady
YBB Executive Producer

Thanked 1,035 Times in 615 Posts
Groans: 8
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

Absolutely horrible! my prayers to all the families involved

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MissSouthernLady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissSouthernLady For This Useful Post:
Mystycl (07-20-2012), Shiny Beige (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
grandmamichelf
Bodyguard

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,801 Posts
Groans: 193
Groaned at 30 Times in 28 Posts

Whoa! That's just horrible and crazy. Now you're not even safe going to a theater to see a movie? That's just pathetic.
Do not walk in front of me, I will step on you. Do not walk beside me, I will bitch slap you. Do not walk behind me, I will turn around and kick you. I did not come through time and space to bandy words with a witless worm.

Grandma's looking for a grill. If you don't know what that means, you don't know Grandma.
grandmamichelf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grandmamichelf For This Useful Post:
Mystycl (07-20-2012)

Old 07-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
terpkings
VIP Yakkster

Groans: 2
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts

Someone was really trying to make a statement. Very sad for the families and those who survived.
terpkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

I think it's high time this country reconsidered it's outdated second amendment.

Absolutely fucking disgusting.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Sheldon
YakTV Executive Producer

Thanked 4,541 Times in 2,464 Posts
Groans: 134
Groaned at 139 Times in 124 Posts

This is an absolute tragedy, and unfortunately, there will never be a valid reason behind this senseless mass murder. I'm sure we'll be hearing stories over the next few days about the shooters mental state and how there were signs all around that he wasn't stable, but nothing will make it okay and put people at ease.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.
Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Karadise
VIP Yakkster/Screen Cap Extraordinaire

Groans: 5
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts

It's so tragic and 100% unjustifiable. I just read this recently:

Quote:
Police have evacuated the area surrounding the apartment of the man suspected of shooting dead at least 12 people and wounding 50 others during a late-night screening of the new Batman movie as they reveal his home is booby-trapped.

Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates says bomb technicians are determining how to disarm flammable or explosive material in the third-floor apartment. He says police could be there some time.
Oates says pictures from inside the apartment are fairly disturbing and the devices look to be sophisticated
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz21B8F9Ufk
Old 07-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,656 Times in 6,627 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,039 Times in 954 Posts

This is so sad and ridiculous. People cannot even go see a blockbuster movie at a midnight screening in this world anymore? How sad. The future of this society really does scare me. A lot.

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Thanked 5,208 Times in 3,329 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 188 Times in 159 Posts

The shooter was a PhD student in neuroscience.
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,656 Times in 6,627 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,039 Times in 954 Posts

That is what scares me even more.

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote