Notices

Live at Five with Yakkity Yaks Anything and everything news/weather related should go here

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #51
Saint Dagame
VIP Yakkster

Groans: 12
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts

and without math and science the artist wouldn't have the materials nor the building to make art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just win baby!
Saint Dagame is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #52
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,470 Times in 5,525 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

Hence why there should not be cuts. Hence why art is a core subject.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #53
Saint Dagame
VIP Yakkster

No it's not. Yes it adds depth to a person but is not a necessary course.

Just win baby!
Old 01-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #54
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

I missed the fun?

First, the Defense spending budget is gigantic. If you add up all of the world's military spending you would probably equate the U.S. defense budget. It is asinine. Moreover, if you include the United State's alliances and such (for example, OECD) China will never rival the military prowess. Explain to me this: Did the US military prowess slaughter the Vietcong into submission? How about the terorrists? The United States is employing a defense budget suited for state v. state warfare. I forget what the spending is on ONE brand new airplane but it's in the upwards range of 130 BILLION dollars. And they're having technical difficulties.

A complete waste of money. And if one is going to address the states that pose a concern to the United States in our own hemisphere, there is a lack of watching of Brazil. Brazil is a rising power and could challenge our own regional hegemony. Perhaps not militarily, but economically definitely. In Asia there is a typical reaction to take down a power when it becomes too strong.

And if you want to talk about senseless cuts look at the foreign aid cuts. Tenths of the budget is how much foreign aid there is, and they slashed it with a blunt axe handle edward scissor hands style. It will have severe and harrowing consequences. Mark my words.

Cuts in education will only fuel the problems at home. If you are a subscriber to Rajan (Former head of the IMF), then the inequality gap in America which spurred the financial crisis was brought on in part due to cuts in education. It will only further create issues for this country because the Politicians have their dicks in one hand and in the pants of another at the same time while rattling off some nonsense that the American public subscribes to without any questioning.

Art is important in that it teaches one how to be imaginative and creative. Do you think being innovative comes from the rigidity of science and math? No. Art is subjective and beautiful and it can, too, teach one to develop interpretive skills. However, that being said, there are other ways to elicit the benefits of art in other classes. It wouldn't achieve the same results, but c'est la vie.

Science is a Western mode of thinking. Truth doesn't have to be found under a microscope or a telescope. It can be found in a variety of ways. All depends on what you subscribe too, though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sphinx For This Useful Post:
Crystal (01-21-2012), Mystycl (01-21-2012), TheKdd (01-21-2012)

Old 01-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #55
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,470 Times in 5,525 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Dagame View Post
No it's not. Yes it adds depth to a person but is not a necessary course.
Yes it is.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKdd For This Useful Post:
Crystal (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #56
Saint Dagame
VIP Yakkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKdd View Post
Yes it is.
No it's not

It would seem we've been debated this fact until it's a ooey gooey paste. N'est pas?

Just win baby!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #57
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,642 Times in 6,617 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,038 Times in 953 Posts

This whole talk about "core" subjects has got me thinking a little bit more. Who determines what is 'core?' In my line of schooling now, I can understand why the "core" rotations I have to participate in in order to graduate are designated as such. That is because I am in a more focused point in my education. I know I am doing medicine.

However, when one is in middle or high school, who is to dictate what is "core?" As TK mentioned a few posts ago, I know PLENTY of jobs where one is not required to speak Spanish or French or German or Japanese or where one is not required to interpret literary works and write creative essays. So, let's cut foreign language and English. But no, that's blasphemy because of how multi-cultural society is becoming. Oh, and wait, while we're on English classes. Isn't interpreting literature artistic? How does one become CREATIVE to write a creative or literary essay? Easy. One subject complements another and to cut XYZ out to keep ABC is not effective.

As for the band/PE conversation (which I figure might be brought up, since it cannot be applied to the points mentioned above), I have one more thing I'd like to add. Sure, parents can pay extra to have their kids involved in piano or trumpet lessons after school. Ok, that's all fine and dandy, but how does the child know that they want to spend time after school honing those skills?

Education is more than just learning topic after topic. Education is about exploration and I think that is forgotten by many people in today's society. To cut and restrict the amount of exploration one can accomplish throughout their time in school is a crime, in my opinion. We are all who we are today thanks to the education and experiences we received in the system growing up. I went the science direction because that's where I felt "home." However, my creativity and personality were shaped because of my involvement in drama, band, and art. I truly do believe that working on algebra and calculus problems, while that got me to where I am in school today, did NOT shape WHO I am as a person. Education is more than books, facts and formulas. Let's not forget this.

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 19wingz For This Useful Post:
TheKdd (01-21-2012)