Notices

Live at Five with Yakkity Yaks Anything and everything news/weather related should go here

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 06:07 AM   #21
terpkings
VIP Yakkster

Groans: 2
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts

Germany is a special situation because of the way their economy is run. Their companies rarely invest outside of the German area other than civil partnerships and some JV's plus they put their profits back in the companies to help support their economy. They look at the overall state of their country and take care of it better.

We should really look at Spain as an example of a terrible work place.

Their unemployment is 10+%. This isn't surprising because few companies other than retail outside of Spain will invest anything into their economy. Once you hire a person in Spain, it will cost you between 2 and 3 years severance pay with paying their health care costs for that time as well if you let them go. They also have the lowest productivity on the European continent. Have to wonder if it is because they start work at 10......lunch at 1.... siesta until 4 or 5.....back to work until 9 and then get drunk and eat.
terpkings is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #22
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkings View Post
Germany is a special situation because of the way their economy is run. Their companies rarely invest outside of the German area other than civil partnerships and some JV's plus they put their profits back in the companies to help support their economy. They look at the overall state of their country and take care of it better.

We should really look at Spain as an example of a terrible work place.

Their unemployment is 10+%. This isn't surprising because few companies other than retail outside of Spain will invest anything into their economy. Once you hire a person in Spain, it will cost you between 2 and 3 years severance pay with paying their health care costs for that time as well if you let them go. They also have the lowest productivity on the European continent. Have to wonder if it is because they start work at 10......lunch at 1.... siesta until 4 or 5.....back to work until 9 and then get drunk and eat.
Spain's unemployment is 21%. Germany has a welfare liberal economy in that the union and coporations get together and make concessions in order to keep people working, whereas the US model is a free-for-all. Germany is an export country, yes, but that doesn't mean that their businesses do not do trade outside of the U.S.

The Southern European countries have a similar problem, but it's not work ethic. That is culture and one cannot say they are wrong based on that solely and that "our way" is best. That's ethnocentric. There are plenty of problems all around the world.

Also, have you read about the Occupy Wall Street movement? Americans now are pissed off at the corporations and the fact that they basically 'run' America. The Right is attempting to paint them as jobless useless people, and protesting for the hell of it. And I read someone's Facebook status:

Quote:
Listen, protesting does NOTHING. get a job and stop laying around in New York's parks.
Tell that to the American Revolutionaires or the French. Jesus, the French protest over everything.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #23
terpkings
VIP Yakkster

Groans: 2
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts

Germany is a power to the world and they have also invested heavily into the EU which is causing some consternation within.

I don't know what the whole Wall Street running this country is big news in that it has been that way for more than 100 years. That is not stopping anything.

I think the corporations have gotten greedy and many are paying for it right now with lower than expected earnings and many are vulnerable to foreign interests because they gave away their technology expertise for some good profit quarters a few years ago. Now many are paying the piper and others are still playing the bully on the street corner.

Also, there is more violence in Paris all the time than in the US......they just don't sensationalize as much.

BTW, the only reason I brought up Spain is that I had significant contact with them and their technology businesses a few years ago and realized that they are a complete nightmare to work with.
terpkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #24
Sphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkings View Post
Germany is a power to the world and they have also invested heavily into the EU which is causing some consternation within.

I don't know what the whole Wall Street running this country is big news in that it has been that way for more than 100 years. That is not stopping anything.

I think the corporations have gotten greedy and many are paying for it right now with lower than expected earnings and many are vulnerable to foreign interests because they gave away their technology expertise for some good profit quarters a few years ago. Now many are paying the piper and others are still playing the bully on the street corner.

Also, there is more violence in Paris all the time than in the US......they just don't sensationalize as much.

BTW, the only reason I brought up Spain is that I had significant contact with them and their technology businesses a few years ago and realized that they are a complete nightmare to work with.
There is a reason Germany is heavily invested in the EU: the EU began between France and W-Germany in 1959(?). It began in steel industry, in order to keep Germany from rising again as a power and threaten war again. The Germans do not want another war in Europe and their constitution prevents any offensive warfare, it must be defensive (leeway there for preemptive war). That is why Germany is heavily invested in the EU.

The reason it is big news is because the people are protesting across the US and the police are brutally striking back. Brutal by our standards. Another huge component of it is the lack of organization and the usage of Social Media, it is akin to the Arab Spring. If the Occupy Wall Street protests are successful, this has rammifications across the world. It has immediate consequences in my opinion as well for the U.S. soft power against Syria. Syria has killed, I think I read today, 2900 people since the outbreak of protests. China and Russia yesterday issued a rare double Veto against the sanctions of Syria, which was propagated by the EU.

Yeah, I know Spain is a complete clusterfuck. One of my best friends moved there a few years ago, and I remember all the issues she had. It's a nightmare.

Yes, Paris has a lot of violence, as does any big city in the world. What I am saying is the French love their protests. They believe them to be effective and utilize them often. How often do American protests work?

Old 10-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #25
Sphinx

Terp,

For my one class we're reading a book called "Fault Lines." We had to only read the first two chapters, and I'm seriously constrained for time this weekend, so I didn't get any further. I'm hoping to read it Monday. God knows.

But, it discussed how in the 1990s the government wanted to provide housing to the people because of the growing inequality and that 7/10 Americans don't have a college degree (I question the validity of that) and that most machines can now do the work of a high school graduate.

Quite relevant for the Occupy Wall St. debate, too. Timely.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #26
Tina
Bronze Yakkster/Admin Asst.

Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,468 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts

Why the Obama Administration is going after the individual states medical marijuana laws are beyond me! Instead of busting our dispensaries and spending tons of man hours with these busts and prosecutions that end up with the people getting off they should be protecting our borders!!!!! I call bullshit to the nth degree. Federal law does not override state law!! I thought Obama was a democrat. Could have fucking fooled me!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ELVIS has left the building!
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #27
Sphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trina View Post
Why the Obama Administration is going after the individual states medical marijuana laws are beyond me! Instead of busting our dispensaries and spending tons of man hours with these busts and prosecutions that end up with the people getting off they should be protecting our borders!!!!! I call bullshit to the nth degree. Federal law does not override state law!! I thought Obama was a democrat. Could have fucking fooled me!!
Federal law does triumph state law, if it did not we would live in a confederacy. I smell a load of shit with NAFTA. Look around the world and you'll see regional efforts all over. You have the EU in Europe, you have ASEAN in Asia (well, now, ASEAN + 3) and the ARF, etc. The AU in Africa. There's a few regional organizations in the Pacific as well. In the Middle East there is the Arab League, but that is a toothless organization without any substance behind it. Russia's old/new/forever President Putin (in May of next year) wants to have Russia as the bridge between Asia-Pacific Region and Europe, with a regional institution. Oh I forgot, there is another regional institution involving Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and a few other countries with pressure being applied to the Ukraine to join. They are very similar to the EU in that they have a customs union and are pushing for a common single currency.

The United State's influence and power is rapidly declining across the globe. So it would be wise, and astute, if the United States aligned with Canada - at the minimum - and Mexico at the maximum. Regional alliances are becoming very pertinent in the world.

But, going after marijuana is a joke. Legalize and tax it. There have been enough studies to show it doesn't affect people that badly, and no addiction either. It'd be a good source of income too. Just sayin'.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sphinx For This Useful Post:
Mystycl (10-07-2011)

Old 10-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #28
Tina
Bronze Yakkster/Admin Asst.

Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,468 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts

They had their chance to get their hands on the money when we put it to a vote.
A bunch of dumb fucks voted against legalizing it. If the feds had pushed for legalization they'd have their tax dollars in the coffer. Idiots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ELVIS has left the building!
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tina For This Useful Post:
Mystycl (10-07-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #29
Sphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trina View Post
They had their chance to get their hands on the money when we put it to a vote.
A bunch of dumb fucks voted against legalizing it. If the feds had pushed for legalization they'd have their tax dollars in the coffer. Idiots.
I don't know domestic politics as well as I do international, but I'd assume that the voting public would be heavily pissed against the vote. These times are very murky in American politics. Remember that not even 10 years ago more than half the public was against gay marriage...now the majority is for it.

I'm not going to lie, the generation I grew up in is very, very, liberal. And cannot speak on politics whatsoever. They do not understand conservativism vs. liberalism. They simply know what their parents preached and speak it, yet have their own views, which can be characterized as a hodge podge, but heavily liberal leaning. It's very entertaining. They claim to be conservative yet preach for social rights.

I, personally, am worried about class warfare. The middle class is shrinking very quickly, the rich are growing very quickly, and the government is doing away with luxuries that were once necessities.

The times are changing. I just don't know how and when.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #30
Hapyhouswf
VIP Yakkster

Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts

I don't want to preach on the Bible here, but I have to say this...The Bible does say at the end of time (which I believe is close) that their will be one currency and as Sphinx said in an earlier post it is headed that way....K off my soap box...
Hapyhouswf is offline   Reply With Quote