Notices

Live at Five with Yakkity Yaks Anything and everything news/weather related should go here

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #21
Karadise
VIP Yakkster/Screen Cap Extraordinaire

Groans: 5
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts

I think they've been pretty strong in stating they are against the way corporations are taking over America, in particular our political system. I also feel that there are SO MANY things all of us are upset about, its so hard to decide which issue is the most important.

Can anybody explain to me why it was decided that Corporations were people?

Occupy Tampa - we're doing it here too. I've read different numbers but we were somewhere between 1000/2000 people yesterday.

October 15 - everyone is supposed to occupy everywhere, and I hope we do!
TheKdd (10-10-2011)

Old 10-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #22
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

Thanked 7,465 Times in 5,426 Posts
Groans: 282
Groaned at 153 Times in 143 Posts

i know what we are pissed about, but there has to be an objective. or whatever,
we want jobs, ok.... so.... how so we get them? we want banks to have checks and balances, how do we do that?
there has to be a 'how', or this is all for naught!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mystycl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #23
Karadise

Yes - but it's kind of the job of our elected officials to figure that out.

1.) I'd say, right off the bat is that we need to get our asses out of useless unwinnable money sucking wars and throw that money into fixing our rapidly deteriorating, unsafe infrastructure - thereby giving us some darn jobs.

2.) We need to close the gosh darn loopholes that exist which allow corporations to avoid paying their fair share of taxes.

In short, the politicians should just follow thru with the campaign promises they've been blowing up our butts with for the last decade.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #24
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevnlee View Post

1.) I'd say, right off the bat is that we need to get our asses out of useless unwinnable money sucking wars and throw that money into fixing our rapidly deteriorating, unsafe infrastructure - thereby giving us some darn jobs.

2.) We need to close the gosh darn loopholes that exist which allow corporations to avoid paying their fair share of taxes.

In short, the politicians should just follow thru with the campaign promises they've been blowing up our butts with for the last decade.
thats a GREAT start!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #25
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:

Agreed. However, the wars are not going to be suddenly ditched. Afghanistan would fall in thirty seconds like a house of cards. It is not a good situation there, and if the Afghan regime falls then it brings about instability once again in a region that does not need any more instability.

All of the politicians need term limits, otherwise, they have patronage to certain corporations that fund them better. This situation is prevalent throughout Italy, where there is rampant corruption especially in the middle part of the country. I also think that they need to change the voting style, because this two-party system is not working whatsoever. There needs to be more accountability.

The fact that it's becoming an international situation though does give it significantly more leverage. Global unrest v. domestic is a little bit more harrowing for politicians.

Also, just so everyone is aware:

Eric Cantor, the Republican Majority leader in the House, referred to the Occupants as a "mob".
Old 10-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #26
Karadise

Then I shall henceforth refer to Eric Cantor, Republic Majority leader, as a NOB.

And really, I'm personally over giving a crap about the instability of other countries. Bring my money home, let them figure out their own issues.

Term limits - 100% support them!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #27
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

term limits!!!

Old 10-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #28
Karadise

OccupyTampa 10/6/11

Mystycl (10-07-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #29
Sphinx

Quote:
Then I shall henceforth refer to Eric Cantor, Republic Majority leader, as a NOB.

And really, I'm personally over giving a crap about the instability of other countries. Bring my money home, let them figure out their own issues.

Term limits - 100% support them!
If you don't care about the instability of other countries, then you should be prepared for another global war. When Yugoslavia fell apart, everyone jumped in for fear of another WWI situation. Especially with all the infighting between Serbia and Kosovo, Slovakia formed it's own state relatively fast, and Bosnia also still has a ton of issues. If Pakistan falls to the terrorists, guess who has nuclear capability? If Yemen and Somalia's problems go north, it hits the United State's oil supplier (Saudi Arabia) directly affecting the oil prices, and you and I.

Also, if Europe crashes - as Spain's debt just got two downgrade notches by Fitch, Italy got wailed with three notch downgrade the other day - then the United States will plumet into a freefall. We are interconnected. If you seek to undo the interconnections then we will have another Great Depression.

And the reason they cannot fix their own issues is because they lack the infrastructure that we can help provide through aid. The problem is that those governments are giving it to the elites and it's just a complete clusterfuck. We are human first, Americans second. And I personally would rather see Africa flourish and end poverty than give it to complacent and lazy Americans. The Federal Government has every power and money to fix our own infrastructure.

Just an FYI: The aid provided to other countries is but 1% of the Federal budget. They're cutting it by 20%. This leads to huge ramifications for the United State's security and global image, yet nothing for the actual "deficit crisis."

I am very interested, though, to see how this all turns out.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #30
Sphinx

Okay, I'm going to post this here, because it's highly alarming:

As Terp and I discussed in another thread, the housing crisis brought about the collapse in the financial institutions. The housing crisis was started by Clinton Adminsitration, which I concede, because of the growing inequality between all of the classes. In order to appease the lower classes they made all sorts of deals, such as the FHA lowering the MINIMUM for a down payment to 3%. The root cause of this? The one author claimed the education system, where only 3/10 Americans have a college degree. I speculate that's incorrect, but that's my belief. All these homeowners began taking out equity loans on houses that were inflated, and when the boom happened...well, you know the rest.

Now, as for these activists? Their anger, yes, is pointed in the correct direction. But it should also be pointed directly at Washington D.C. But, is this the result of the inequality that is growing in America? Degrees are going to become even harder to receive, because colleges are continuing to raise prices and governments are not supplying help to students/universities.

Thoughts?