Notices

Live at Five with Yakkity Yaks Anything and everything news/weather related should go here

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
Tina
Bronze Yakkster/Admin Asst.

Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,466 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts

Everytime I see this thread that says SCOTUS looks like Scrotum to me, just sayin. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ELVIS has left the building!
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tina For This Useful Post:
PinkFreak (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
PinkFreak
Wonder Woman

Thanked 2,900 Times in 1,784 Posts
Groans: 58
Groaned at 84 Times in 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trina View Post
Everytime I see this thread that says SCOTUS looks like Scrotum to me, just sayin. lol

I love The Yak
It's my kind of place
Just walkin' through the front door

Puts a big smile on my face
It ain't too far, come as you are

Hmm, hmm, hmm I love The Yak

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PinkFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,642 Times in 6,617 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,038 Times in 953 Posts

Pervs!

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
Tina
Bronze Yakkster/Admin Asst.

Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,466 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts

yeah that's what they call me. lol

ELVIS has left the building!
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,642 Times in 6,617 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,038 Times in 953 Posts

LOL Don't I know it!

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #16
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

Cantor, Boehener, and McCarthy...go fuck yourself.
Quote:
WASHINGTON, Jan 22 (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court was urged on Tuesday to uphold the constitutionality of two laws that define marriage as the union of a man and a woman, as it prepares to hear arguments in the historic same-sex marriage cases two months from now.

Supporters of the 2008 California prohibition on same-sex marriage known as Proposition 8 told the court that defining marriage should be left to voters rather than judges, and that the ban did not dishonor gays and lesbians.

"That same-sex relationships are not recognized as marriages does not reflect a public judgment that individuals in such relationships are 'inferior' or 'of lesser worth as a class,'" the brief said, "but simply the fact that such relationships do not implicate society's interest in responsible procreation in the same way that opposite-sex relationships do."

In a separate filing, the top three Republican members of the House of Representatives - Speaker John Boehner, Majority Leader Eric Cantor and Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy - urged the court to uphold Section 3 of a 1996 federal law, the Defense of Marriage Act, that has the effect of denying same-sex couples a variety of federal benefits that heterosexual couples receive.

"Judicially constitutionalizing the issue of same-sex marriage is unwarranted as a matter of sound social and political policy while the American people are so actively engaged in working through this issue for themselves," their brief said.

The Supreme Court will on March 26-27 hear arguments on the California and federal laws, in two of the most anticipated cases of its current term. Nine U.S. states have legalized same-sex marriage.

Opponents of both provisions are expected to file their briefs next month. The Obama administration has stopped defending Section 3.

'AGENTS OF THE PEOPLE'

In the California case, Hollingsworth v. Perry, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals had last February voided Proposition 8 but on narrow grounds, saying the state could not take away a right to same-sex marriage that it had previously allowed.

The law was allowed to remain in effect during the appeals process, which gives the Supreme Court a chance to accept or reject a constitutional right to same-sex marriage, or perhaps issue a narrower ruling affecting only California.

In their brief, supporters of Proposition 8 also said they are legally entitled to defend the ban "as agents of the people" because state officials including Governor Jerry Brown refused.

They raised this argument after the Supreme Court asked them to explain why they had "standing" to sue. If the court finds they do not, it could leave the 9th Circuit ruling intact, which could result in same-sex marriage being legalized in the state.

The New York case, U.S. v. Windsor, seeks to invalidate Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as between only a man and a woman for the purpose of federal benefits such as Social Security survivor payments and the right to file joint federal tax returns.

In October, the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York struck down Section 3, joining a May 2012 ruling by a federal appeals court in Boston.

Charles Cooper, a former lawyer in the U.S. Department of Justice under President Ronald Reagan, represents Proposition 8 supporters.

Paul Clement, a solicitor general under President George W. Bush, is representing the House Republican lawmakers, whose brief identifies them as the Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group of the U.S. House of Representatives.

The two Democratic members of that group, Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and Minority Whip Steny Hoyer, do not support their position taken on Section 3.

Equality is also a theme of two other major Supreme Court cases this term: a challenge to affirmative action in admissions at the University of Texas, and whether a key provision of the 1965 Voting Rights Act should stay on the books.

The same-sex marriage cases are Hollingsworth v. Perry, U.S. Supreme Court, No. 12-144; and U.S. v. Windsor, U.S. Supreme Court, No. 12-307. (Editing by Howard Goller and Lisa Shumaker)
SOURCE
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #17
Sphinx

I'm sorry, but I am officially disgusted with the judicial system. Now, the conservatives are claiming that gays are "too powerful" and thus don't need protection. Are we represented in Congress? How about the Executive Branch? The Supreme Court? No, we are not. We are a minority. What is more, we are underrepresented as a minority of this country. Yet you wish to claim, that we are too "powerful." We have mobility, because this country is adapting, and the fact that we are passionate. You sit there and act like we are condemining you to death. (Find the article, it's on my Facebook).

It isn't your choice whether we are gay or not, it is your choice whether or not you are tolerant. It isn't our choice whether we are gay or not - we have no choice. We are who we are. Instead, there are those who sit with their white hats and cast judgment upon everyone else. Who are you? Just because I choose to love differently than what is deemed normal?

I pride myself on my ability to be different. Those who dare to change the world ARE different. If we all thought the same, acted the same, and behaved the same - what variation or change could there be? None. Absolutely nothing.

You know what does disgust me?

This country is willing to lay down the gauntlet over guns. Things that inflict harm, that kill people, that maim people, destroy lives, generate wars. But we are against gay marriage, which does what? Causes love? Peace? Happiness?

That's fucking disgusting.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #18
TheArtistFrmlyKnownAs
Senior Yakster

Groans: 70
Groaned at 37 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
I'm going to be watching it and Justice Anthony like a hawk. Personally, I'm wishing for a conservative justice to retire. .

This pisses me off! ( not your post) but the concept of conservative or liberal judges. The law is the law. I also dont understand sheriffs running as a pub or dem

Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,470 Times in 5,525 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

Totally agree with you. The law is the law and that is how it's supposed to be. They are SUPPOSED to just plain interpret the law, not with any skew one way or the other.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
Sphinx

That's the way it's supposed to be.

That's not the way it is.