Notices

Live at Five with Yakkity Yaks Anything and everything news/weather related should go here

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #161
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,642 Times in 6,617 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,038 Times in 953 Posts

I do not mean to bring the damper again, but I have to share.

I internally lost it in church this morning. It was the annual Family service where the little kiddies would go up and do their thing as part of the service. Well, when the Pastor called up the K - 2nd grade kids, a part of me was weeping - weeping that there are moms and dads out there who couldn't take their kids to the front of the church at that request. But then I was reminded with all the beautiful children there are and that warmed my heart. A part of me tomorrow and Tuesday will be with the people in Newtown extra hard.

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 19wingz For This Useful Post:
MissSouthernLady (12-24-2012), Shiny Beige (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #162
MissSouthernLady
YBB Executive Producer

Thanked 1,035 Times in 615 Posts
Groans: 8
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

just remember Wingz those children that you were weeping for are sitting at Jesus' feet. They have the best Christmas present of all! The parents' and families of Newtown have my prayers this Christmas and for years to come.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MissSouthernLady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissSouthernLady For This Useful Post:
19wingz (12-24-2012)

Old 12-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #163
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Good work, America. Let's petition to deport someone over their views on gun control INSTEAD of petition to do something about it.

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

We close our eyes
Old 12-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #164
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

How touching. Gone but never forgotten. My heart is with the families, town and community today.

We close our eyes
The Following User Says Thank You to 19wingz For This Useful Post:
MissSouthernLady (12-25-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #165
MissSouthernLady
YBB Executive Producer

Thanked 1,035 Times in 615 Posts
Groans: 8
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

They are getting to celebrate Jesus' birthday with him today! What an awesome Christmas!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MissSouthernLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #166
PinkFreak
Wonder Woman

Thanked 2,900 Times in 1,784 Posts
Groans: 58
Groaned at 84 Times in 75 Posts

I heard this the other day & thought it appropriate....

I love The Yak
It's my kind of place
Just walkin' through the front door

Puts a big smile on my face
It ain't too far, come as you are

Hmm, hmm, hmm I love The Yak

PinkFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #167
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

And another student enters a school with a gun in Taft Union High School in California. Shot two people, missed one. Teacher talked the student into putting the gun down.

So let me get this straight? The teacher appealed to the student's mindset at the moment and persuaded the student to make the right decision. And she did it without drawing a gun back at the student. Imagine that.

What awesome work and courage from this teacher.

Quote:
One student, 16, fired at two students with 12-gauge shotgun, critically wounding one and missing the other at Taft (California) Union High School on Thursday morning, police say
Police: Suspect put gun down after teacher and someone else talked to him; wounded student airlifted to hospital
Below are the latest updates as they come to us. Also, you can read our full story.
[Updated at 4:46 p.m. ET] Former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was wounded in a 2011 shooting during an appearance in her home district in Arizona, made this comment on her Facebook page about Thursday's high school shooting:

"(My husband) Mark and I are saddened by the news out of California. Our thoughts and prayers are with the students and
families of Taft Union High School."

[Updated at 4:28 p.m. ET] U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, released this statement about Thursday morning's shooting:

"Today comes word of another tragic shooting at an American school. I have visited this school over the years-in fact, my own father attended Taft Union.

"At this moment my thoughts and prayers are with the victims, and I wish them a speedy recovery. But how many more shootings must there be in America before we come to the realization that guns and grievances do not belong together?"

[Updated at 3:58 p.m. ET] "What this teacher did was heroic," U.S. Rep. Kevin McCarthy, whose district includes Taft, tells reporters at a news conference there.

[Updated at 3:55 p.m. ET] Classes are expected to resume on Monday, an official said at a news conference in Taft.

[Updated at 3:52 p.m. ET] The teacher apparently was struck in the head by a pellet, but appeared fine, Kern County Sheriff Don Youngblood told reporters.

Besides the student who was shot, a second student – suffering possible hearing damage because the gun was fired close to her – also was taken to a hospital, Youngblood said.

A third student sustained minor injuries when she "fell over the tables" trying to leave the classroom, Youngblood said.

[Updated at 3:41 p.m. ET] The 16-year-old suspect – a student who missed the start of his first class Thursday morning – walked into school in the middle of first period, walked into class and shot a 16-year-old fellow student with a 12-gauge shotgun, Kern County Sheriff Don Youngblood told reporters moments ago.

The shooter then said the name of a second student and fired at that second student, but missed, Youngblood said. The teacher in the class tried to usher students out of the class – there were about 28 students there – and engaged the shooter in conversation, according to Youngblood.

That teacher and another person – a "campus supervisor" – continued to talk to the shooter, and eventually the shooter put the shotgun down, Youngblood said. Police officers then arrested the shooter, Youngblood said.

The student who was shot was taken to a hospital and is in critical condition, according to Youngblood.

[Updated at 3:07 p.m. ET] Officials are preparing to allow the school's students to leave the property and connect with their parents, many of whom have gathered there, CNN's Kyung Lah reports from the scene.

[Updated at 3:05 p.m. ET] Ray Pruitt of the Kern County Sheriff's Office says he doesn't know whether there was any relationship or connection between the shooter and the victim.

[Updated at 2:35 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Kevin McCarthy, a Republican whose district includes Taft, released a statement:

"I am deeply saddened and troubled by news of the shooting," it said. "(My wife) Judy and I offer our prayers to the victims, their families and the entire Taft community."

[Updated at 2:19 p.m. ET] A student shot another student with a shotgun Thursday morning at a Southern California high school, said Ray Pruitt of the Kern County Sheriff's Department.

The shooting happened in the science building at Taft (California) Union High School near Bakersfield, Pruitt said. The wounded student was airlifted to a hospital, and a suspect is in custody, he said.

Earlier, the county's fire department said two people were hurt, though it also said the second injured person had "minor" injuries and refused medical treatment.

Details of what led to the shooting weren't immediately available. Pruitt said he didn't know whether the shooting happened in a classroom. Law enforcement officers were going through the school to "make sure we don't have suspects outstanding," Pruitt said.

Taft is about 25 miles southwest of Bakersfield and 100 miles northwest of Los Angeles.

[Initial post, 2:03 p.m. ET] Two people are hurt and a suspect is in custody following a shooting Thursday morning at a California high school, officials say.

The shooting happened at Taft (California) High School near Bakersfield, the Kern County Fire Department says. One person was transported to a medical center, and a second person – who is said to have suffered minor injuries – refused medical treatment, according to the fire department.

Kern County Sheriff's Department officials were going room-by-room to secure the school, according to CNN affiliate KERO.

Students at the high school "have been evacuated to another area of the campus," the fire department said on its Facebook page.
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/10...ing/?hpt=hp_t1

We close our eyes
Old 01-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #168
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,470 Times in 5,525 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

Yeah, we were freaked for a second when we saw the headline because we have a Taft High School really close by to us... but it turned out to be another one.

I wonder what would have happened had everyone else in that school was armed. I have a feeling this would be a worse story.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #169
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Exactly. I don't think there would be just one person in the hospital if more people in that school were armed.

We close our eyes
Old 04-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #170
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

This 60 Minutes piece is making me sad again.

We close our eyes