Notices

Live at Five with Yakkity Yaks Anything and everything news/weather related should go here

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,470 Times in 5,525 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts
News2 Boston Marathon Attack

By KEN BELSON and MARY PILON

A series of explosions erupted near the finish line at the Boston Marathon on Monday. The Boston Police Department confirmed that they were looking into an explosion, but had no further comment.

The explosions at the Boston Marathon went off more than four hours after the start of the men’s race, which meant that there were still several thousand runners yet to finish the race.

The Associated Press reported that the authorities were helping injured runners leave the scene and bloody spectators were being carried to a medical tent that was being used for runners.

The A.P. said that a loud explosion was heard on the north side of Boylston Street, near a photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another explosion was heard several seconds later.

Local television showed ambulances at the scene. Pictures posted online showed several injured runners being attended to and smoke around the finish line.

The headquarters for the organizers of the marathon, one of the world’s oldest, was reportedly locked down while authorities investigate.

Reporters inside the Copley Plaza Hotel, where the media center is and where many elite athletes are staying, were unable to leave.

The explosions went off more than four hours after the start of the men’s race, which meant that there were still several thousand runners yet to finish the race.

Big city authorities are typically on the highest levels of alert for events like a marathon, said Anthony Roman, a security expert.

“It is quite the counterterrorism effort,” said Mr. Roman, who runs Roman & Associates, a New York firm.

For major events in New York and other large cities, Mr. Roman said the police would typically weld manhole covers shut, while also examining the entire route just before the race. They will also place snipers on rooftops, with helicopters overhead. Analytic cameras in the city will be focusing on the race, he said.

“They have all the analytic cameras in the city focusing on the race with their advanced software network, reading license plates,” Roman said.

The Boston Marathon is one of running’s most storied events, established in 1897 and one of the six World Marathon Majors. The event typically attracts an estimated 500,000 spectators and requires certain qualifying times for runners to compete. The course winds throughout downtown Boston as well as several outlying cities, including Ashland, Framingham, Natick, Wellesley and Newton.

Unlike many sporting events that take place in closed arenas, marathons are known and heralded for their sprawl, allowing throngs of spectators to line the 26.2-mile course.

Within minutes of the explosions on Monday, social media and cable networks projected the images of gray smoke on Boylston Street in Boston, emergency crews on the scene and an unknown number of persons injured.

SOURCE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

Two dead and 23 injured - so far.

Apparently there were two more bombs found elsewhere.

This seems like a domestic problem...
Old 04-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
PinkFreak
Wonder Woman

Thanked 2,900 Times in 1,784 Posts
Groans: 58
Groaned at 84 Times in 75 Posts

This is so awful :/ They just reported that 6 of the injured are in critical condition... I am so saddened.
PinkFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Cathy
Shot Bun

Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,641 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 29 Times in 27 Posts

10 people with amputations or missing limbs....it is so crazy, I don't understand how anyone can do this to anyone else
Old 04-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

Another explosion at JFK library.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,642 Times in 6,617 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,038 Times in 953 Posts

This is so sad. I've been following it all day at work and now back here at home. Just tweeted this, but for posting here as well

Families of victims - 617 635 4500 HOTLINE. TIPLINE for bombings 1 800 494 TIPS

There have been controlled explosions, but the 3rd explosion at JFK was related. I've seen tweets about a yellow Penske truck that might be suspicious, but I don't know to believe it. CBS's Scott Pelley is doing great at reporting.

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

So they have a photo of someone carrying two backpacks...from behind. But they don't see him placing the backpacks somewhere or it could very well be a runner carrying bags for him and someone else. CBS is saying they have video of interest, but they're not saying much yet.

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

We close our eyes
Old 04-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

It seems cell phone service has been cut for fear of using cell phones as detonators.

ABC & CBS will extend Nightly News tonight to one hour. NBC will air a special at 10/9c, pre-empting "Revolution."

We close our eyes
Old 04-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Thanked 5,207 Times in 3,328 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 188 Times in 159 Posts

I was just in Boston recently too. A lot of hardcore criminals in there. Could be foreign terrorists. Could be some nut trying to kill one person they are mad at. Who knows? Btw, the Newtown parents were right by the one explosion, too. Give these people a break already.
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

I know, right. There is a report of a runner who was amputated from the blast that was supposedly running in dedication to the Newtown tragedy. I'm not sure how they know that runner was doing it for that purpose, but that's what I have read. Again, having a hard time believing a lot.

We close our eyes