Notices

Reaching Out Need advice on something, or just want to talk to another Yakkster? Open up here. Rainbow Bridge here as well.

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #1
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts
Default Ch-ch-changin...

Preface: I don't know that this is correct, or if the outcome is what I intend...that's why I'm asking for opinions. And obvious blind spots that I'm not seeing.

On Saturday and Sunday, I decided that I was done with how my personal life currently looks. It's incredibly unstable and I can't leave my entire life open to the winds of chaos.

I decided to quit drinking, because it's extremely destructive. I mean, I can look at all the patients and say "This is what can happen" truth, that was eye opening. I can look at those around me and see how it's destroyed their lives. And I can look at my own and see how it's destroyed aspects of my own life. So, I decided to quit it. I looked at when it began, and then realized most of my friendships are deeply rooted in having a "wild night." And I started to realize: is that truly a friendship? I don't believe so. So I've been sober since Monday, because that's when I really cracked and realized what a waste of time and money it is to sit at a bar and blow through booze. What's the outcome?

I also decided to quit smoking. That's always been on my agenda, and I haven't stopped that yet. That one is a bit more tricky to solve, because...it's an addiction at this point. So I need to find another outlet, (points to come) to resolve that.

That brings up two key issues: one we're essentially talking the renegotiation of friendships that can either continue to exist without alcohol or die. I'm fine with that. I accept that. This week has been difficult. I'm working overtime and my job isn't exactly pleasant. It's hard, but whatever, there's a solution that's coming. The other...what do I replace the stress factor with? I chose yoga and running, until I start gradschool and can start lifting weights.

I've completely annexed dating off my list of things. At this point, all that I can offer someone is my future; otherwise, I'm leading a pretty destructive life. I work my ass off, go to school, and yeah. So, I feel like by beginning to do other things - yet to be determined but I have a plan there as well - that I would be able to offer someone much more. I mean, I want more from my own future partner, so why shouldn't I lead by example? So I compiled that list as well, of what to do there (too exhaustive to write about...).

Regardless, my concern is...is this right? Or more likely, it's my own fear of the unknown. But, the other part of me looks at my patients (some being trauma others...just sad) and I realize that life is "nasty, brutish, and short." In a moment anything can change...and I think I owe it to myself to explore all possible areas, before I become incapacitated to do so. I think, I do not know, that this will simply lead to a more rewarding experience on this planet. Whether or not that's the case, I don't know...but I don't know.

I don't know and that's what the problem is. We're talking a radical shift of my entire life. A massive change. It's not impossible, but I'll be damned to say that this will be easy.

Does any of this make sense, or am I just a crazy man shouting in the desert?
Old 05-02-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
Tina
Bronze Yakkster/Admin Asst.

Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,468 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts

sounds to me like you are maturing. your age is the time that people really start deciding what they want in life. up to then we all think we can find it in other things. partying, drinking, certain friendships, etc. you're exploring and figuring it out. I'm not trying to make you sound young but frankly you are and you are so lucky to have your whole life ahead of you. You've decided healthy choices are what you want right now to get you where you want to be. I'm happy for you!!!!! It won't be easy because habits develop quickly, but you are changing your mindset and that's the first step.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ELVIS has left the building!
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tina For This Useful Post:
Sphinx (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,656 Times in 6,627 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,039 Times in 954 Posts

Not crazy at all. Makes total sense to me and I think it's one hell of an approach. I support it...and we need to talk, DAMMIT!!

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 19wingz For This Useful Post:
Sphinx (05-03-2014)