Notices

Reaching Out Need advice on something, or just want to talk to another Yakkster? Open up here. Rainbow Bridge here as well.

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts
Default Prayers, please...

As some of you are aware via my Facebook, my Dad had emergency surgery today.

He had an abscess in his butt that totaled 8 centimeters and went up into his abdomen. Early this morning we received a phone call that he had taken a turn for the worst. Apparently he had a fever of 41 degrees Celsius (somewhere around 105-106 Fahrenheit) and was on a ventilator. He was experiencing Sepsis Shock(?) - don't know the word, medical terminology, or what the fuck it is. Regardless, it pushed him extremely close to death and there were concerns about his stability on the operating table, but without dealing with the abscess they couldn't stop the cycle...

Fortunately, he pulled through the surgery; however, the next 24-48 hours are critical as effects on the heart - which is currently in A-fib, his BP is low, and his heart rate is high - are felt. Thus, I ask for your prayers for him.

He is doing better, but has developed a fever again.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Hapyhouswf
VIP Yakkster

Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts

You and your Dad are in my prayers!!! Hope all turns out good...Stay strong!
Hapyhouswf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hapyhouswf For This Useful Post:
Sphinx (02-04-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

I'm heading back there now.

There's no point in me being here when my heart and mind are trapped in that room. I plan on staying till they decide I can't stay any longer and then I'll sleep in the waiting room.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,656 Times in 6,627 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,039 Times in 954 Posts

I'll be praying Sphinx. Working nights here this week in a hospital, so I'll send good vibes from one hospital to another if that'll mean something for ya.

If you're unsure of things, make sure you ask questions so they can explain things to you. Surgeons usually aren't the greatest in that department, just try. Stay strong man and I'm wishing for the best.

Has he had a history of A Fib or is this a new diagnosis?

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
SassyGal
Admin Asst./Silver Yakkster

Thanked 2,929 Times in 2,289 Posts
Groans: 44
Groaned at 43 Times in 40 Posts

I am sorry for all the pain & stress for you & your family and will keep you all in my prayers. That said I am going to try to give you some basic information.....

First you need to keep in mind that the nurses will be your best source of information about your dad since they will be present 24/7 and will be able to help put the doctors words into an understandable form of English!

Septic Shock simply put is a bacterial infection in the blood....this may have come about as a result of the absess or he may have 2 different infections but they will do cultures of both blood & the material removed from the absess so they can test for the specific antibiotics that will be most effective. They will start him on antibiotics that cover a wide range of bacteria until the prelimary results are back(usually about 24 hours).....

The ventilator will help to make sure your dad is getting the proper oxygen & that his lungs are being kept properly inflated. They may have given him medicine to put him in a chemical coma so he isn't fitting the machine & wasting his bodies resources fighting the ventilator instead of helping him to fight off the infection.

He will be closely watched for any changes to any of his bodies systems. The A-fib will be watched & he will be given medicine to help his heart pump properly...people with fevers do have high heart rates...he may have some special central lines (like big Ivs) in either shoulder or sometimes they can be in the groin area to be able to do special heart monitoring.

Be sure you talk to your dad tell him you are going to hold hid hand or touch him before you do then he will know that the touch is from you.....Always speak from your heart but do not be shocked if as he recovers he never remembers since 99% of what goes on during his time in the hospital will never be remembered by him..he will remember going & stuff from a few days before heading home....Our brains are great at protecting us!

I would suggest that you keep a pad & pen with you and as you get information write down your questions since getting information can be overwhelming.

Please let me know if you need any information or just want to chat with someone that has been the nurse, the family member and also the patient.

Subscribe now to CBS All Access

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SassyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SassyGal For This Useful Post:
19wingz (02-04-2012), grandmamichelf (02-06-2012), Shiny Beige (02-04-2012), Sphinx (02-05-2012), TheKdd (02-05-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,656 Times in 6,627 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,039 Times in 954 Posts

That post from Sassy is 100% why nurses are a great resource.

Sorry, I was going to post more basic info when I responded but I also knew that there was something I had to take care of so the post was short. Sassy covered all of the high and important points and she is right - especially in this case - the nurses are going to be great in keeping you updated on what is happening and why. If they don't know the answer, they will make sure they get the answer from the resident or doc - or even make sure they come speak to you face to face so you can ask follow up questions should you have any.

I second Sassy's comment on if you need anything or have other questions or wanna chat, I'll be available. I have not been the patient in this case, but I have witnessed it and been a part of the management for patients like this many times.

Sassy, let's open Yak Clinic

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Kristin
Senior Yakster

Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,013 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts

I'm praying for your dad, you, and your entire family, Sphinx. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, but try to stay strong for your dad and remember that there are a lot of people here who care about you. Stay strong for your dad, but be sure to take a little bit of time for yourself. Don't let yourself get too overwhelmed.
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kristin For This Useful Post:
Mystycl (02-04-2012), Sphinx (02-05-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

Thanked 7,465 Times in 5,426 Posts
Groans: 282
Groaned at 153 Times in 143 Posts

i second what kristin said!!!!
i dont blame you for staying, just be sure to eat a little and DRINK! you can dehydrate quicker than you realize under stress!!!!

know that we are here, AND care!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mystycl is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mystycl For This Useful Post:
Sphinx (02-05-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
Shiny Beige
Silver Yakkster

Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,288 Posts
Groans: 265
Groaned at 28 Times in 25 Posts

Hang in there!
You and your family are in my prayers.

And I agree with Sassy and Dr. S ... the nurses have the answers and will take the time to explain what is happening. They're in my prayers, too.
Shiny Beige is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny Beige For This Useful Post:
Sphinx (02-05-2012)

Old 02-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,477 Times in 5,531 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your dad of course. If you need to vent, Im here as well.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKdd For This Useful Post:
Sphinx (02-05-2012)