Notices

Reaching Out Need advice on something, or just want to talk to another Yakkster? Open up here. Rainbow Bridge here as well.

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts
Default Cruising for a Bruising

I'm in a bit of a conundrum where I don't know where the line lays in questioning authority and where I should just toss in the towel.

I've been having problem after problem with faculty in my nursing program, because they are unleashing a torrent of questionable expectations. I'd list all the grievances, but at this point...it's built into this problem of the faculty expecting us to adjust to whatever they want, whenever they want, however they want without forewarning. For instance, I was threatened to be kicked out of the program if I didn't complete all my community service hours. Nevermind that this never was told to us, and I got it in an e-mail alongside a need for a meeting to "sign" the contract. Meanwhile, they casually disregard the fact that they opposed me leaving my old site because I was getting their staff lunch -- INSTEAD of doing anything remotely related to enhancing my education.

On my way to a psych clinical in the suburbs (an hour away...) our car broke down. Clinical instructor lambasted us and gave us an assignment that was designed to take 20+ hours for missing a clinical...for less than a week notice, during midterms. She expected us to CALL A CAB on the side of the road to the hospital. We were on the highway. That broiled into a mega fight and ultimately my evaluation from her was a condescending "you suck". I was so upset, but I didn't retaliate and I cheeked it. I knew it was retaliatory for winning against her earlier over that assignment.

Another instructor for clinical that I had called me a pain in the ass to another student during her exit interview evaluation. Which, I am. Again, I did nothing. The faculty then hired him for TWO clinicals for pediatrics this quarter. So, it's clear that our entire reviews as students didn't matter in hiring him for clinicals.

And now, they're blocking me from attending my best friend's wedding in October. My clinical instructor for Peds is a sweetheart and was like "I'm totally fine with you going; however, your instructor is blocking it." Which is turning into a new fight because I've been asking since July. One told me, "I don't even know what to tell you" -- she was the clinical coordinator. I'm waiting for a response, but if she says no I have to decide what to do.

I can either keep my mouth shut and just try to make it to June without pissing off every single faculty member (besides three professors...that love me) or I can put my footdown and take it to the director of the program, and subsequently the dean. I don't know where the line on this one is between being rebellious and just done with the faculty's unreasonable expectations and demands and just complete disregard.

Nothing changes if you stay silent, but you're viewed as difficult if you openly question bullshit. So where's the line here? Ultimately, it's affecting my education because their ineptitude and incompetence is making me want to give up.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:10 AM   #2
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

Thanked 7,465 Times in 5,426 Posts
Groans: 282
Groaned at 153 Times in 143 Posts

is it possible at all for you to 'rise above' the bullshit and still succeed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mystycl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mystycl For This Useful Post:
requiem (09-13-2015), Shiny Beige (09-25-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,477 Times in 5,531 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

I really don't know the answer. I've never been in a situation like that... Maybe Joe would know having been through schooling in that kind of field?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKdd For This Useful Post:
Mystycl (09-13-2015)

Old 09-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
Sphinx

Well, I e-mailed her...because, you know...I was trying to see if it would work.

She has since decided to not respond to either the original e-mail sent on Friday, nor my follow-up e-mail sent yesterday. She is responding to others.

So. I'm beyond my point now.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

Thanked 7,465 Times in 5,426 Posts
Groans: 282
Groaned at 153 Times in 143 Posts

wow
really!

Mystycl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:21 AM   #6
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,656 Times in 6,627 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,039 Times in 954 Posts

So, I think you need to at least contact someone for this rotation or site that is making you get lunch instead of learning. Absolutely inappropriate. Have anyone others experienced the same at this place?

As for the wedding thing ... that's tough. If they're doing it out of spite to you, I'm not sure how you'll best explain that without sounding whiny. If they have a good reason to not let you have the time off, that's just poor man's luck. I have been there before. It sucks that this is school and you couldn't have requested "vacation" time.

I think it's important to take control of your situation, but you are right, there is a fine line between rebellious and "legit" concerns.

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 19wingz For This Useful Post:
Mystycl (09-17-2015), Shiny Beige (09-25-2015)

Old 09-25-2015, 10:59 AM   #7
Sphinx

The fight ended up solving itself because my clinical instructor kept saying it's not right, and said I could shadow an ER nurse for the day because I was interested in ER -- just a peds one. My program director stepped in at that point and said, "no that's too complicated, and to be perfectly honest he's been trying to resolve this issue since July. He's been contacting all the appropriate people. You two need to agree and that's that." My clinical instructor said, "I'm fine with him doing a lengthy case study." And then my lecture instructor was forced to fold.

I only found out, because I thanked my lecture instructor and my clinical instructor told me what had happened. My clinical instructor was like, "Honestly, you handled this so appropriately and tried going through the correct channels. Plus if you were actually a nurse, you would've requested off or found a way to switch THAT far out." I booked my flight, and that's that. All they need to see is my boarding pass, and they're fine with me going.

The lunch thing was a shitshow. I got really pissed off about that. But now, I teach English instead of it. Other problems with it, but...what can you do. When your existence is based in chaos, you learn to ride the flames.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sphinx For This Useful Post:
Shiny Beige (09-25-2015)