Notices

Hockey Well, it's just that, a place for hockey!

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
jordanc0856

Default 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Wingz- Okay, game 2 is in the books for the mighty Red Wings, and they gave me quite a scare today. Being up 4-0 at the beginning of the third period, you'd think it was in the bag. Well, the only thing that went in the "bag" was their brains. Stupid penalties let the coyotes back in the game, and they almost tied it. I'm glad to get out of that one with a win. I wonder what Franzen's face is going to look like in the morning! I mean, getting 21 stitches and coming back to finish the game. That's a tough gritty player. Kinda reminds me of the game where McCarty lost a quarter-sized piece of skin from the middle of his forehead.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Kristin
Senior Yakster

Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,013 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts

I can't wait for the game on Monday. The Mule can hold a grudge for a long, long time. Whether it was intentional or not, Doan has a huge target on his back now.
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
jordanc0856

I think they ought to get him back, Claude Lemieux style!!!!

Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
jordanc0856

That is, how they got him back for the hit that pretty much started the whole Wings-Avs rivalry.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
Kristin
Senior Yakster

Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,013 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts

I love that on FB they posted his picture with the caption "The Look of a Hockey Player". I'm thinking they don't agree that Crosby is "The Face of Hockey" either. By the way, my cousin is no longer speaking to me. He told me that I need to start following a real team like the Pens. So I told him that if they get rid of Crosby, we'll talk. His response was "Why? Are you jealous that we have the best hockey player ever?" I said "Best? Nah. Prettiest? Definitely." Apparently he was offended. LOL
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,656 Times in 6,627 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,039 Times in 954 Posts

I was in the D this afternoon for the game...LOVED it! Definitely a good one to watch, since I missed Game 1 and will have to miss Game 3 because of work. Also LOVED how Pitts got romped by Tampa Bay the other night. That's gonna be a good series.

So happy to see Montreal kicking butt in the playoffs. They've always been my favorite Canadian team, and the Sabres have always been my favorite Eastern team. I love the playoffs! haha

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Absolute BULL and this is why I have always hated and will never like Gary Bettman!

Quote:
So by now I’m sure you heard about story of Tommy B, the fan that was kicked out of the Joe and fined 500 dollars for throwing an Octopus onto the ice in the 2nd period of game 1 against the Coyotes Wednesday night. Here is his explanation as he was on the Karsch and Anderson program on Friday….

I walked into the arena with the octopus in a bag and I showed it to the ushers. They said have fun. After the first Wings goal, [and] after 5 octopuses have been tossed, I threw mine. In my hand, asinine, walking from the upper deck to the lower, every guard and security person let me down and said “go.” I walked down 25 seats and tossed it on the ice during the stoppage after the goal and they were cheering me.

All of a sudden, a guy from there said, “You’re going to jail. Come with me.” Granted, not a thing happened to the prior folks, or any other game. I went down and was charged. Really, it’s AN octopus in Detroit in a hockey game! They kick me out; fined me $500 and I have to go to court. I paid $150 for my ticket [but] now will pay $500 more. That’s $217 a period. When I asked the cops they were laughing and said [Commissioner Gary] Bettman started the rule at the start of the 2nd period. Really, new rules? In between periods? Bettman, you are terrible. It’s not an airplane. It’s an octopus, although you wouldn’t know [about] tradition.

I had a chance to talk to longtime Wings goalie Chris Osgood who was outraged about the whole sequence of events and had some choice words about Bettman. Watch the entire video below.
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/04/...gedwith-video/

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

We close our eyes
Old 04-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Thanked 5,208 Times in 3,329 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 188 Times in 159 Posts

That octopus thing may be the dumbest tradition in sports. Thank God they are finally going to put a stop to it.
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

You've gotta be kidding me right now? It's rooted in DEEP tradition back before you were even a little thought. Let's just pretend it started in the holy city of Pittsburgh...

And it's not even "taking" the tradition away that irks me. Passing the rule during the 2nd period/intermission? Seriously. He is a JOKE of a commissioner. Real great way to alienate fans.

We close our eyes

Old 04-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Thanked 5,208 Times in 3,329 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 188 Times in 159 Posts

He's definitely a joke as a commissioner but it's still an idiotic tradition. It's dangerous, silly, and nonsensical. And Pittsburghers aren't dumb enough to do it so there's no worry there.
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote