Navigation » YakkityYaks - Big Brother 21 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers! > Yakkster's Lounge > Yak On! > Reaching Out » High School dress code...Need help Kristin, anyone?

Notices

Reaching Out Need advice on something, or just want to talk to another Yakkster? Open up here. Rainbow Bridge here as well.

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
Hapyhouswf
VIP Yakkster

Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default High School dress code...Need help Kristin, anyone?

My granddaughter starts High School this year. We have 5 High Schools in our district. The high school she will attend has a terrible principal. He has decided that all girls cannot wear shorts shorter than 3 inches above their knees, same for dresses, skirts, etc. The have to cover their boobs no cleavage at all...They are not allowed to wear tank tops and if their bra shows under their arms they will be sent home with any of the above, Oh and no jeans with holes in them....The boys aren't as bad they can't show their underwear and no offensive t-shirts....

She made the varsity cheer team....She told me Sat. that he came and talked to them at practice Fri and that they need to set an example for the school. They are NOT allowed to wear their cheer uniforms unless they have biker pants down to their ankles! They also have to wear pants under their dresses...Now When I went to school we were only allowed to wear dresses, that was in the 60's....My God this man is taking girls back to then...

They had a Forum to speak about this on the 7th. He said it wasn't up for discussion...One parent spoke up and said She thought that was what forums were for? Brittany (My granddaughter is 5'8" tall and weighs just over 100 lbs. She wears a 00. She is all legs....One parent said her daughter is 5' 10' and a 00. What is she suppose to wear? He said my wife is 5' 10" and dresses nice. She said I bet she isn't a double zero? LOL

I think this is just terrible, We have 5 high schools in our district, this is the only one that has this stringent of a dress code. I was wondering if anyone has any idea how to handle this...I suggested the school board, but was told the admin. has the say at their schools...

They will have teachers etc. at all doors and will send any child to ISS if they aren't dressed the way he wants or sent home.

One parent spoke up and said, you mean to tell me a boy can come in with a two foot Mohawk and body piercings and a girl can come in a dress 1 inch to short and the boy safe, but the girl sent home...He said yes...

I want Brittany's HS years to be good ones, but she is ready to give up cheer because of these stupid rules....She said Granny it's just not fair, I am a straight a student and if I come in with shorts on that is 1/2 to short I will get ISS or sent home....

Kristin, I know you deal with school a lot, any suggestions? School starts the 21st here....
Hapyhouswf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

Thanked 7,529 Times in 5,475 Posts
Groans: 283
Groaned at 153 Times in 143 Posts

oh hell naw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mystycl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Kristin
Senior Yakster

Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,013 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts

The first paragraph is exactly how our school district dress code is. But, after that, this guy is going way overboard. In our district the school board and superintendent are the ones who determine what the dress code is and it is the same from PreK through 12th grade. Every school has to follow the same dress code.

I would definitely take it to the School Board. The principal has to answer to them. So even if it's true that he gets to determine the dress code for that school, which I don't understand at all, you can still take it to the School Board and they make a change. Brittany should get as many of her friends as she can to have their parents go to the next School Board meeting and sign up to speak if that's how it's done in that school district. You may need to check their website or call the superintendent's office to ask how a parent signs up to address the school board at the meeting. It's very possible that they don't even know what this principal is doing.

So far the right steps have been taken by going to the forum. Since he said it wasn't up for discussion he has forced the parents to take it to the School Board.

Let us know how that works out, because I'm really curious to hear how a principal can make a rule like that for the school he works at. Personally, I've never heard of something like that before.
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Hapyhouswf
VIP Yakkster

I hadn't either...He is way to backwards to me....I will let you all know how it turns out..I am considering calling the school board myself.

Oh, I forgot to mention he said he wanted uniforms....He can't do that because it is a public school....

One woman said she has two kids in college and can't afford to go out and buy her daughter all new clothes....His response, "We can get donations of used clothes if you need them."..Really? I am glad I didn't go to that meeting....
Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Kristin
Senior Yakster

I wish our school had uniforms just because there's such a big divide between the kids from wealthy families and the kids from poverty level families and uniforms would help to eliminate that. We fall somewhere in the middle, so my kids have never been directed affected by it, but they see it happen all the time. My kids are in a public school and the uniform issue would have to be voted on by the School Board in order to pass. We had a bond issue coming up the following year, so they chose to concentrate on the bond issue and not risk losing votes to pass it from parents who were upset by the uniforms.

Unless things are completely different in your state than here, this principal is making decisions that aren't his to make. Check the school district website and email the School Board if their addresses are available. Our School Board members encourage the community to contact them, because there are times when they aren't even aware of what is going on. It could make a difference for your granddaughter, but even if it doesn't, you will know that you've done your part in trying to make a change.

Even though I'm all for uniforms for my kids, I'd still be upset if one of my daughters was a cheerleader and had to dress like that.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
kmteach
Senior Yakster

Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts

My nephew is in middle school and goes to public school... his school has uniforms. He'll be in 7th grade this year so the shirts are yellow. For pants, they have to wear dark colors and they have to wear dark shoes.

The school district he attends does not have an across the board uniform policy, however many of the elementary and middle schools have a uniform. None of the high schools do.

VOTED AS YAKSTER WITH THE BEST AVATAR - 2010!!
And here's the winning avatar:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kmteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
Hapyhouswf
VIP Yakkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin View Post
I wish our school had uniforms just because there's such a big divide between the kids from wealthy families and the kids from poverty level families and uniforms would help to eliminate that. We fall somewhere in the middle, so my kids have never been directed affected by it, but they see it happen all the time. My kids are in a public school and the uniform issue would have to be voted on by the School Board in order to pass. We had a bond issue coming up the following year, so they chose to concentrate on the bond issue and not risk losing votes to pass it from parents who were upset by the uniforms.

Unless things are completely different in your state than here, this principal is making decisions that aren't his to make. Check the school district website and email the School Board if their addresses are available. Our School Board members encourage the community to contact them, because there are times when they aren't even aware of what is going on. It could make a difference for your granddaughter, but even if it doesn't, you will know that you've done your part in trying to make a change.

Even though I'm all for uniforms for my kids, I'd still be upset if one of my daughters was a cheerleader and had to dress like that.
I am sure the school board knows....It's been all over the newspapers here...They seem to ignore it...I will email them and let them know, this guy is taking things back to the 60's when I was in school....I will email the district member of her school district...

If it were all schools I would understand, but it's just this one...
Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Kristin
Senior Yakster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapyhouswf View Post
I am sure the school board knows....It's been all over the newspapers here...They seem to ignore it...I will email them and let them know, this guy is taking things back to the 60's when I was in school....I will email the district member of her school district...

If it were all schools I would understand, but it's just this one...
That's the part that makes absolutely no sense. I can understand having a different dress code for elementary school and high school, but I don't understand different dress codes for different high schools.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kristin For This Useful Post:
Hapyhouswf (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,503 Times in 5,546 Posts
Groans: 230
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

Heck my daughter goes to a Catholic School and the dress code is more lenient. We have uniforms of course, the skirts can't be more than 1-3 inches above the knee I believe. Cheerleaders must where the cheer pants under (which are like bike shorts kind of) and no spaghetti straps on free dress days.

I understand not wanting girls to walk around all hoochie, I wouldn't let my daughter do that anyway, but that is WAY extreme. Why not just hand out habits to the girls or burkas? Who is this guy? Seriously... I would be the squeaky wheel to that school board for sure.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKdd For This Useful Post:
Hapyhouswf (08-13-2012)

Old 08-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
Hapyhouswf
VIP Yakkster

I just don't get it....I don't want them to go around half dressed either TK,...My granddaughter dresses nice, because she is an only child and they can afford the "trends." She has jeans that has holes in them, they cost more than one of my outfits...LOL I bought Haley a pair Levi's last week that holes in them....It's the style, they are decent, there butts don't hang out and no holes to show private parts or anything...I will be emailing and attending a school board meeting...Jenni, Britts Mom, doesn't want me to mention Britts name for fear she will be singled out...