Notices

Live at Five with Yakkity Yaks Anything and everything news/weather related should go here

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
PinkFreak
Wonder Woman

Thanked 2,905 Times in 1,789 Posts
Groans: 60
Groaned at 84 Times in 75 Posts
News2 COVID-19 - Coronavirus Pandemic

Just curious how all this has effected our members?

I'm in Oregon and there have been no confirmed cases in my city, or county for that matter, but we have confirmed cases literally all around us so it's just a matter of time for it to hit here. Our state has closed all events or gathering with 250+ people, that includes concerts, swap meets, sports and such. All of our K-12 public schools are closing 3/16 thru 3/31... and our Universities & Community Colleges are doing the same.

I'm really hoping this is all being blown out of proportion because I didn't go stock up on toilet paper

I love The Yak
It's my kind of place
Just walkin' through the front door

Puts a big smile on my face
It ain't too far, come as you are

Hmm, hmm, hmm I love The Yak

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PinkFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PinkFreak For This Useful Post:
requiem (03-21-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

Thanked 7,599 Times in 5,538 Posts
Groans: 284
Groaned at 154 Times in 144 Posts

can someone explain to me the toilet paper caper?

Mystycl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mystycl For This Useful Post:
requiem (03-21-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 05:43 PM   #3
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,505 Times in 5,547 Posts
Groans: 230
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

No. No explanation. Itís selfish people doing selfish things.

Lisa go get a pack or two before it does become a thing in your county.

Shelves are completely empty here. People are in full blown panic mode. The death rate has remained steady at 3% which is pretty high for a virus. To put it in perspective, H1N1 was .02% I believe.

Regardless, Iím more worried about living... all my husbands work has been shut down. Unemployment doesnít cover our mortgage and utilities. Iím disabled and canít work, nor can I get this thing because of immuno-issues.

That people are hoarding toilet paper is pissing me off lol

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheKdd For This Useful Post:
ABondgirl00 (03-16-2020), Mystycl (03-17-2020), requiem (03-21-2020), Shiny Beige (03-23-2020)

Old 03-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #4
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

Thanked 7,599 Times in 5,538 Posts
Groans: 284
Groaned at 154 Times in 144 Posts

its totally ridiculous

Mystycl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mystycl For This Useful Post:
requiem (03-21-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
ABondgirl00
Platinum Yakkster

Groans: 1
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts

Not in my wildest dreams did i ever see myself begging for toilet paper..... puts new meaning to the words Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures or something to that effect.

Also canceled a Dr's apt. today and one tomorrow.

Last edited by ABondgirl00; 03-16-2020 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added content
ABondgirl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ABondgirl00 For This Useful Post:
requiem (03-21-2020), TheKdd (03-21-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #6
grandmamichelf
Bodyguard

Thanked 2,645 Times in 1,808 Posts
Groans: 193
Groaned at 30 Times in 28 Posts

I work in my school district as the administrative assistant to the director of Special Education.
Our superintendent sent us home last Thursday when we (those who stay behind during spring break) and said we'd return this coming Monday. Then last Tuesday, extended it and said they'd look at it every two weeks.
Then the governor said four counties (one of them mine)--schools will remain closed until April 30th unless the decree is lifted earlier than that.
Teachers get paid because they are on contract. I will get paid this first time because that's what the superintendent said. After that it is up to the school board and the superintendent since we aren't on contract. However I have enough sick and vacation days to last at least 6 weeks and get paid. Others...like paraprofessionals..only get paid when students are in school. But we have a great school board...so we shall see.

I'm working from home. I'm lucky most of my work is online but I do need to get some files out of my office so I hope they let me in my building. I don't work in the same building with my boss which is fine since I don't want to work around all the administrators. Cramps my style! LOL!

My boss was going on a cruise. Finally the cruise line suspended it the day before he and his family were due to leave. But he did send me a picture of sandy feet and legs, sitting on a lounge chair in Florida. Ugh....
Do not walk in front of me, I will step on you. Do not walk beside me, I will bitch slap you. Do not walk behind me, I will turn around and kick you. I did not come through time and space to bandy words with a witless worm.

Grandma's looking for a grill. If you don't know what that means, you don't know Grandma.
grandmamichelf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grandmamichelf For This Useful Post:
ABondgirl00 (04-30-2020), Mystycl (03-22-2020), requiem (03-21-2020)

Old 03-19-2020, 10:41 PM   #7
Tina
Bronze Yakkster/Admin Asst.

Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,479 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts

It's crazy here. We've been on a shelter-in-place order for a week up here in Northern california but today the governor made the order for the entire state. I'm a financial investigator for a bank and I have been working at home since monday. I'm 67 so I'm considered in danger and shouldn't go out. My husband has an auto repair shop so he is exempt from staying home plus he won't make any money at all if he closes his shop. last time I shopped was last friday and that was the last day there was toilet paper in the store because I found an extra pallet in the yogurt aisle! lol. hoarding is weird and unhelpful to all. I am going to the store once a week. safeway is having senior hours two days a week early in the am but it's still crazy. stay safe everyone. the governor just gave another speech today and said prediction is 56 percent of californians will get this. I hope they start that malaria medicine soon, it can't hurt and it could possibly save lives!

ELVIS has left the building!
Tina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tina For This Useful Post:
ABondgirl00 (04-30-2020), Mystycl (03-22-2020), requiem (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 10:24 PM   #8
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,505 Times in 5,547 Posts
Groans: 230
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

Well, day I donít know even of shelter in place. Feels like a year already lol

I took a nap yesterday, didnít wake up until 1am... was baking English muffins at 4am. Time has lost all meaning. I need bread flour but theyíre out everywhere we go, and weíre trying not to go at all.

I have a Dr appt in about a week, gonna call Monday and see if heís doing telemedicine?

Iím hoping they put a moratorium on mortgages... I have no idea how weíre going to get by with no work here. Unemployment pays nothing. Our credit cards are slowly maxing out.

This is insane.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheKdd For This Useful Post:
ABondgirl00 (04-30-2020), requiem (03-23-2020), Tina (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #9
Shiny Beige
Silver Yakkster

Thanked 1,925 Times in 1,296 Posts
Groans: 265
Groaned at 28 Times in 25 Posts

It is insane, but everybody's in the same boat. If there is money available from the government, will it go to the people or the corporations? (I can guess.)

But we have so many people who are not taking it seriously, going to the beach with friends, etc. I guess we'll have to wait for people to start dropping before they believe it's a problem.

I was trying to be upbeat today, but the stupidity of people makes me sad.
Shiny Beige is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shiny Beige For This Useful Post:
ABondgirl00 (04-30-2020), TheKdd (03-31-2020)

Old 03-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #10
Tina
Bronze Yakkster/Admin Asst.

Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,479 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts

I hear you TK. I get about the time has no meaning, even though I'm working at home 8-5 I 'm waking up at 2 am and doing laundry, cleaning, etc. All of my regular appointments got cancelled which is good because I'm not down with going out. I've received emails from basically every company I deal with saying "We're here for you"! But I have yet to receive one that says you don't have to make your payment!. Good luck, saying prayers for everyone.

ELVIS has left the building!
Tina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tina For This Useful Post:
ABondgirl00 (04-30-2020), requiem (03-23-2020), Shiny Beige (03-23-2020), TheKdd (03-31-2020)