Notices

Tech @ The Yak Latest in tech, Facebook, PC problems, home theater, gadgets and more!

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
TheArtistFrmlyKnownAs
Senior Yakster

Groans: 70
Groaned at 37 Times in 30 Posts
Hd Roku Vs Blu Ray with Wifi

Hey guys I need some advice. First of all I dont have an HDTV with HDMI. I just have a standard old TV with RCA hookups. So HD doesnt matter to me. I am trying to decide what to buy to stream Netflix and the like.

I am torn between this Sony Blu Ray player I found and a Ruku. I like the sounds of the Blu Ray because you can surf the internet on it but it doesnt have HBO GO which the Roku has.

Anyone have a Blu Ray that you can search the web? Can you go to a site like HBO GO or a site like ABC.com and watch their shows without an App?

Are there any other products for a standard TV? (Others I have found only have HDMI)

My brother gave me a Zizio Blu Ray player but it is HDMI only so thought of getting a cheap HDTV but read reviews on the player and they werent good.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
19wingz
Carrie's Cowboy Casanova

Thanked 8,656 Times in 6,627 Posts
Groans: 627
Groaned at 1,039 Times in 954 Posts

Sorry, this is not in my line of expertise as of late. TK (and I think one or two others here) are doing streaming only for their shows, so they'll hopefully be around to answer this. I'm going to guess that you need an app for such like ABC.com, but what do I know?

Proud Supporter of the Michigan Wolverines & Detroit Red Wings!! (and anyone who plays those damn Buckeyes)

God put us here on this carnival ride
We close our eyes
Never knowing where it will take us next
19wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
Cathy
Shot Bun

Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,641 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 29 Times in 27 Posts

We have both a Vizio blue-ray player and the Roku....I like the Roku for the ease of use, and I think it has more "built-in" apps

Old 05-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #4
TheArtistFrmlyKnownAs
Senior Yakster

which is faster for streaming netflix and the like? Yeah I have heard Roku has more apps and you can get codes.

I would like to know if the web browsing on a sony 3d HD blu ray is any good
Old 05-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Cathy
Shot Bun

Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,641 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 29 Times in 27 Posts

I think the Roku is better at streaming, I have no idea about internet on the Sony
Old 05-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,498 Times in 5,542 Posts
Groans: 230
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

I have a bluray DVD player that has wifi, a Tivo with wifi and a roku. The DVD player has apps that allow you to go places, but no, unless it has the built in app for HBO GO, it won't play it. It also won't just play anything on the web... it needs an app for that as well and I have never seen one that has that. Major networks/websites have blocked it from playing any content like that.

The Roku can't just go anywhere on the web either, but more and more apps come out for it that allow for more content. I LOVE my roku.

I have a Tivo that can also do Netflix and Hulu, but it's slow. The Roku has no issues with it. The Roku can stream Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo, Amazon Videos etc. There are free apps for movies, and other apps you can get to stream movies and such you downloaded onto your computer. I HIGHLY recommend Roku. I have 2, one for each room.

Also... Depending on your Cable provider, many now have their own apps on Roku which is nice cause in a room with no cable, you can still watch live cable TV. It's easy to use, quick, never had a prob with it. The only thing Roku can't do is YouTube (last I looked)... Roku and YouTube don't have a good relationship. They have a channel, they don't have a channel, they have one, the don't. It's on and off. Otherwise though, Roku is the way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKdd For This Useful Post:
Cathy (05-27-2013)

Old 05-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
TheArtistFrmlyKnownAs
Senior Yakster

Thanks Kdd I am leaning towards the Roku I do wonder though if my wifi router is strong enough to reach my bedroom. On my Kindle Fire I only have 2 bars on the Wifi connection
Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Well, I haven't had any issue with either of them. My phones and Tivo have a problem in one of the rooms, but the Roku doesn't seem to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
Old 05-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
TheArtistFrmlyKnownAs
Senior Yakster

Cool and thanks I went ahead and ordered the Roku. Just one if it works in my bedroom I might buy another one and get rid of dish for the summer. (only problem with that is not watching Big Brother episodes live )

Old 05-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
TheKdd
Your mama what?

True, and CBS is a stickler when it comes to watching their shows on any device except your computer. They are a pain in the butt.

There are channels you can get that MIGHT have it... but they are "private" channels, and not sure if they will have it. I know they have David Letterman though.

~
~