Navigation » YakkityYaks - Big Brother 21 and Reality TV Updates and Spoilers! > Do Talk Back! > Arguers Corner » Big Oil know it has us over a barrel

Notices

Arguers Corner The Yak's "no holds barred" area, so argue away. The views expressed aren't necessarily the views of YakkityYaks as an entity.

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Hapyhouswf
VIP Yakkster

Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Big Oil know it has us over a barrel

Explanations for why gas prices keep rising don't add up!

THE EXPERTS, whoever they are, say the average price of gallon of gasoline in the United States will top $4.00 by summer.

It could even go as high as $5.00 a gallon. That's just what we need with our fragile economy struggling to right itself.

Those "experts' (who are likely the oil company front man preparing us for the worst) may well be right. Already the price of premium gasoline is above $4.00 a gallon at a number of area gas stations. And it keeps going up.

A few years ago, it took a price of $145.00 a barrel to get us to $4.00 a gallon. There has been no dramatic inflation in the meantime.

Well those "experts" say that tension in the Middle East is causing the rise in gasoline prices.

Tension in the Middle East? Those people have been fighting for thousands of years when Jesus was born! Is that something new or unusual?

Iran has said it may cut off oil supplies to Britian and France, but what has that have to do America? We haven't bought oil from Iran since our buddy the Shah was run out of the country back in the late 1970's.

The oil companies had to come up with a better story than that.

So, they did. The Exxon-Mobile and the BPs, whose profits continue to rise off the charts, claim they are changing over to the manufacture of summer gas, which cost more to produce.

That may well be true, but it would seem those costs would balance out in September, when the refineries begin changing over to winter fuel, which cost less to produce.

No matter what the production costs, major oil company profits soar well into the billions every year. These guys are not struggling.

Many Americans are.Some now find themselves working jobs that don't pay well as the ones they had before the Great Recession hit. Inflating the cost of a gallon of gas almost $2.00 (if it gets to over $5.00 a gallon) in a little
over a year in a nation of commuters might be akin to driving a stake into the heart of the economic recovery.

Talk to someone with a midsize pickup. right now it can take up to $120.00 worth of gas for a fill-up. With prices at $5.00 a gallon could cost $150.00.

My first mortgage was $110.00 a month and most pickup owners need to fill up at least three times a month, especially if they commute any distance to work.

If these guys running for president want campaign issue, let them tackle big oil. Right now, the cost of gasoline is hurting this country more than any of the other issuses they're nitpicking over.

As for Middle East tensions, well, the big oil companies used that excuse to get gas to $1.00 a gallon and $3.00 a gallon. Now they're coming back to well (pardon the pun) to get us to $4.00 and maybe $5.00.

Essentially, that increase is nothing more than an arbititray tax collected by big oil, whose profits just seem to increase.

The sad fact is that we can do nothing about this rise in gas prices. The oil companies have us over the proverbial barrel and they know it. So, like a proctologist performing a colonoscopy, they just keep shoving the hose in deeper.

And, as with colocoscopy, the consumer gets a good cleaning out-of the wallet.

All we can do is grin and bear it.

Written by Donnie Johnston: The Free Lance Star

Donnie is normally a leftist Big Time...I normally don't agree with his views, I do with this and decided to share.
Hapyhouswf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hapyhouswf For This Useful Post:
Sphinx (02-25-2012), Tina (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,498 Times in 5,542 Posts
Groans: 230
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

I agree with him. I am watching closely who big oil is donating to. Mind you, they donate to EVERYBODY... but where I see the most money going, that is who I will NOT vote for. You know those candidates will owe "favors"... Like those Koch dudes. Please, as if the American people can't see through that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKdd For This Useful Post:
Hapyhouswf (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Hapyhouswf
VIP Yakkster

Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts

ITA.....