Notices

Yakkity's Movie and Celeb Central Check out our movie selection and don't forget to pick up the latest celebrity news and gossip!

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
requiem
Ruby Chen

Thanked 5,241 Times in 3,672 Posts
Groans: 1,056
Groaned at 821 Times in 577 Posts
Default Upcoming Horror Films

Although the quality is usually terrible and expectations are never met, it's pretty rare that I pass up a chance to watch anything in the horror genre. When it gets it right, the fear is undeniable and I love searching for that.

So to start...A trailer for "IT FOLLOWS" which I only heard about today doing my weekend box office readings. It debuted in only 4 theatres with a FANTASTIC $40,000 per screen average. It takes a lot of old horror conventions and kind of flips them around. The basic plot of this one sounds like The Ring except it passes on with sex instead of a videotape......If you live in a small town like me, this is a wait to rent, but it could possibly expand up to 200 venues in the next few weeks (more if it truly is going to be a breakout but it's unlikely at this point.)

Reviews are through the roof which is rare for this type of project.

#ShineBrightLikeARuby

"Everybody knows I'm a mother fucking monster!" - Kanye West

"You can take away my car and you can take away my keys...But you can't take away my dreams because I'm like sleeping when I have them." - NATR

Last edited by requiem; 03-15-2015 at 06:03 PM.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
requiem
Ruby Chen

Although it does not come out until October, the buzz on this film has praised it as one of the best horror films in recent memory. The cast and director are top notch and the teaser trailer looks interesting, but it doesn't fully reach horror roots til near the end of the short clip.

#ShineBrightLikeARuby

"You can take away my car and you can take away my keys...But you can't take away my dreams because I'm like sleeping when I have them." - NATR
Old 03-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Thanked 5,208 Times in 3,329 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 188 Times in 159 Posts

I heard about It Follows for months and I've been trying to get a hold of an early copy. It's supposed to be excellent.
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #4
requiem
Ruby Chen

That's what I hear....95% rating on rotten tomatoes. It's very high on my list after researching it a little.

YD....have you seen 'The Babadook'? I'm told I should def watch it. EW.COM named it their favourite horror film of 2014. Only heard about that recently as well.

#ShineBrightLikeARuby

Old 03-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #5
Yellowdog
Senior Yakster

Thanked 5,208 Times in 3,329 Posts
Groans: 32
Groaned at 188 Times in 159 Posts

I did see it. It was good, as horror movies go. As you said there's really a low bar when it comes to the genre so for that reason I thought it was overhyped. It was well done and inventive but it was far from the scariest movie in decades like some said. The great director, William Freidken, who made The Exorcist, really hyped it up and said it was as scary as The Exorcist, but in reality it's far from that level, imo.
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:05 PM   #6
requiem
Ruby Chen

Thanks for the opinion. I'm going to try and lower my expectations because I was def expecting the terror level to reach fever pitch levels! Lol.

#ShineBrightLikeARuby