Notices

19Wingz Medical Mysteries Have a question for our resident medical doc, 19Wingz? Ever wonder about anything to do with medicine? Come on in.

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
grandmamichelf
Bodyguard

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,801 Posts
Groans: 193
Groaned at 30 Times in 28 Posts

Actually his ex is the one who sent a private message on FB to our oldest son because he was worried about Mando. Said he was very depressed and friends were starting to comment on it. This private message is what was essentially the shove I needed to get his ass home. His ex was so worried and said he needed to be surrounded by family and help given to him. He had said something about the strange noises that Mando makes when he's sleeping.

Let me tell you, he makes some strange ass noises and they are loud. He will moan loudly and sometimes he'll laugh. But hell, I yelled Help outloud from a dream I was having the other night and woke my husband up scaring him half to death. I was dreaming that I was getting hit by a bunch of women in the dorm (don't ask me) and kept yelling help but no one would do anything. Then all of a sudden I screamed Help outloud. I know that your subconscious is what can help you solve problems or recognize that you can't solve them on your own. And I think that's what that dream was all about.
Do not walk in front of me, I will step on you. Do not walk beside me, I will bitch slap you. Do not walk behind me, I will turn around and kick you. I did not come through time and space to bandy words with a witless worm.

Grandma's looking for a grill. If you don't know what that means, you don't know Grandma.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
grandmamichelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
Goldie
Senior Yakster

Groans: 15
Groaned at 107 Times in 73 Posts

Prayers Grandma, my mother-in-law suffers from extreme depression, bi-polarism (They are actually different, but I'll leave it to the qualified folks to describe the differences) and severe agoraphobia. It is a constant struggle and we've had many talks about what to do with her. After time though and the right combination of pharmaceutical combinations we are actually seeing improvement, and she wants to have a family gathering at our house for her birthday next month (Believe this is a MASSIVE step). If this is what is affecting your son, just know that even if he seems not to respond to treatment, never give up. Something wil eventually help!

So admire you for having the strength to post this, hang in there.
Goldie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
Mystycl
Admin Asst.

Thanked 7,465 Times in 5,426 Posts
Groans: 282
Groaned at 153 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wingz View Post
I don't know if this is manic depressive...not too much mania going on here, but there are very specific diagnostic criteria. A full, formal eval will shed more light than my speculation.
yeah, that makes sense... i know squat, it just sounded similar..
Mystycl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #14
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,477 Times in 5,531 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

Wow Grandma, I'm SO SORRY. I'm just so so sorry. Get him to the Dr. ASAP. He needs tests and if possible, I wouldn't wait another second. That would scare me to death. Reading it has me scared me! Please let us know what you find out. OMG. I can't even imagine. My brother is Bi-Polar and he does some pretty whacked things a lot of the time, but like wingz said, it doesn't sound like there is the mania there. I'm just so sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #15
terpkings
VIP Yakkster

Groans: 2
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts

GM

I read this to my wife who until recently was a Psychiatric Nurse and who oversaw the treatment of more than 500 patients. BTW, she is on long term disability right now with her own serious health issues.

She has seen many things with patients that we consider odd that are actually just part of the issue and nothing to be alarmed about. Her advice is that you need to get him to a psychologist first because typically you will not get the proper appointment with a Psychiatrist until you cross the first path and he may need both because they serve different purposes many times.

Make sure that you attend the first appointment and you will get private time to explain your concerns and the patterns and symptoms that you are seeing. He may also be referred to a Neurologist based on the interaction between him and his counselors if they deem his symptoms cross over into the brain.

She stated that most importantly you and your family need to watch out for him as much as possible through this process and might even have to take control of some of his daily routines. Typically, depending on the issues at hand, the patient can make some dramatic recoveries with the proper diagnosis and treatment.

Just go through the process and it will work itself out.

BTW, I remember seeing a post of FB where you stated that you wanted your son home recently. I assume this was in regards to the issues he is having.
terpkings is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #16
grandmamichelf
Bodyguard

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,801 Posts
Groans: 193
Groaned at 30 Times in 28 Posts

Tell your wife thank you, terp.

And yes, this is the son that I wanted to come home because, in my heart, I knew he wasn't the same child.

It is difficult to get help for an adult who has no job and clearly couldn't work if he was offered one. It's really scary. I came to work this morning and there were two message on my telephone. Both were from him. One was at 4:01 am this morning and the other 15 minutes later. Granted I was still in bed at home when he did this.

Lexi told me he called her cell phone at 3:59 am.
Do not walk in front of me, I will step on you. Do not walk beside me, I will bitch slap you. Do not walk behind me, I will turn around and kick you. I did not come through time and space to bandy words with a witless worm.

Grandma's looking for a grill. If you don't know what that means, you don't know Grandma.
grandmamichelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #17
Bigbrotherfan1977
YakBB2 Runner Up!

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,043 Posts
Groans: 14
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts

Grandma I am so sorry to hear about your son. I hope the doctors can find out what is wrong with him so he can get the help that he needs. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Bigbrotherfan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,477 Times in 5,531 Posts
Groans: 228
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

It is difficult. My brother can't get a job, even if he was offered. There is just no way. Thankfully he met someone that takes care of him, otherwise, I don't even know if he would be alive today.

Grandma I'm just so sorry about all of this. I think ASAP you need to get him somewhere and get some observation and testing started. I am just so incredibly sorry. I really really wish there was something I could do to help.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #19
Sphinx
YakBB2 WINNER & #EvilQueen!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,904 Posts
Groans: 406
Groaned at 139 Times in 132 Posts

Awww Grandma, I'm so sorry I'm no doctor nor psychologist, so I'm not going to speculate as it's beyond my purview of knowledge.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things, and I don't think you need to worry about losing your son. He's not gonna go anywhere with you around. Let's be serious here, you're strong enough to carry many people and still make time for yourself. You got this and you're gonna see massive strides soon. We all go through dark times, but that's what makes us better people.

You got this, and if you feel like you're wavering, you know you have all of us to fall back onto. We're all titans here.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
Elizabeth
Senior Yakster

Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts

Oh Grandma -- I am so very sorry. I just don't have the words to express how sorry I am that you, your son, and your family are going through this.

Coming from a human resources background, I'm pretty sure you should be able to make an appointment to talk to someone with your employer's EAP program and they can help you find treatment for you son based upon his lack of insurance coverage.

Good luck -- you are in my prayers.