Notices

19Wingz Medical Mysteries Have a question for our resident medical doc, 19Wingz? Ever wonder about anything to do with medicine? Come on in.

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #21
terpkings
VIP Yakkster

Groans: 3
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts

The calls and I guess sporadic lucidity is very interesting and I would also check the blood flow and circulation because deprivation of Oxygen can cause some of these issues as well. A sleep study would also be of interest because you stated his night times seem to be the oddest. I know the lack of insurance is an issue but some institutes will take it on pro bono for the study of the issue itself.
terpkings is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #22
grandmamichelf
Bodyguard

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,806 Posts
Groans: 193
Groaned at 30 Times in 28 Posts

He didn't even come out of his room when I went home for lunch.

I called my boss when I got back to work (which is where I am now) and asked if we could talk. So tomorrow morning I will explain to him what is going on. I always believe that it is best to let your boss know (especially if he is good man or a woman) what might affect your job. Or even that the more you take on at your job is your escape. Also, since he is the Director of Special Education he might have some other insights to give me.

Your kind words warm the cockles of my heart. ( I said that to my boss once and he asked me if that was a sexual thing . Kind of like the time I explained to him that when I said bless your peapicking heart I wasn't truly being nice )
Do not walk in front of me, I will step on you. Do not walk beside me, I will bitch slap you. Do not walk behind me, I will turn around and kick you. I did not come through time and space to bandy words with a witless worm.

Grandma's looking for a grill. If you don't know what that means, you don't know Grandma.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
grandmamichelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #23
Tina
Bronze Yakkster/Admin Asst.

Thanked 2,212 Times in 1,473 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts

My EAP covered my whole family whether living with me, whether they could afford it, were adult/minor or not. I hope yours does too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ELVIS has left the building!
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #24
grandmamichelf
Bodyguard

I talked to my boss this morning. It was really good to be able to do that when normally I just don't things like that. But he gave me some things to think about. His concern is that he has seen manifestations like my son is now having in people with tumors. But he also knows that depression and other mental illnesses can show certain things like that. He called one of our counselors to have her call me and it was nice to talk to her.

I have a plan of action and know that I am doing the right thing by going to our family doctor first. The first step is to rule out any medical issue.

It is so hard because, now that I think about it, this has been a downhill slide for him for over a year according to his ex-boyfriend.
Do not walk in front of me, I will step on you. Do not walk beside me, I will bitch slap you. Do not walk behind me, I will turn around and kick you. I did not come through time and space to bandy words with a witless worm.

Grandma's looking for a grill. If you don't know what that means, you don't know Grandma.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #25
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,497 Times in 5,541 Posts
Groans: 230
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

My daughter's friend, her sister was doing strange things, losing her balance, not acting right. Eventually lost use of one arm. This was a slide for awhile. They found a brain tumor (she's 12). Operation and radiation later, she is in rehab, learning to speak again, learning to use her arm again.

Let us know what happens tomorrow.

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #26
SassyGal
Admin Asst./Silver Yakkster

Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,294 Posts
Groans: 44
Groaned at 43 Times in 40 Posts

I am so sorry if you need me just call....I am a pretty good listener!

Subscribe now to CBS All Access

SassyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #27
Tina

Grandma so the appointment is tomorrow with your family doctor?? yes, please let us know what he does and if he refers or takes tests, etc.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #28
TheKdd
Your mama what?

Thanked 8,497 Times in 5,541 Posts
Groans: 230
Groaned at 198 Times in 183 Posts

Ok the Appt is today. What happened Grandma?

~
My Karma ran over your dogma.
~
TheKdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #29
Tina

Yes, waiting on pins and needles!

Old 08-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #30
grandmamichelf
Bodyguard

Okay, our doctor is female. Dr. Kelly. She's just marvelous and she was waiting for me to come in and talk to her about Mando after his father said something.

She gave me the number to a family counselor who could do the testing to figure out if what is wrong with him is organic or whatever the other word is. That way they can rule out if he needs mental help or physical help. She had already talked to this doctor and he said that he would bill it on my Tricare as family counseling. We went over everything I've said in my first post.

One thing she said is that this could be a psychotic break brought on by severe depression. The manifestations and all that stuff could most certainly be part of it. The worst thing would be a brain tumor but she wants us to rule out the depression part because this doctor is willing to help us and can point us in the right direction.

She also brought up that it might be possible for Mando to apply for Medicaid because it's not only for people with disabilities but poor people as well and he doesn't have job right now. (It's not like he could work like this anyway).

I felt so much more in control once I left her office. Something that scared me so badly now has a light at the end of the tunnel for help.

Talking to ya'll. Talking to my boss. Talking to our doctor. It really helps. Now tomorrow I will call this doctor and see about an appointment. I came home and asked Mando if he was willing to do this and he said....yes. But only him and me. I think that's best because Alexis would be too straightforward and interrupting.

Mando did not go to the doctor with me. I went in hopes of finding the right way to go and that's what happened. He has been in bed all day and I told him he needs to get his ass up and take a shower. 15 minutes later he calls me from his room to ask me if it would be okay if he applies for a job at Grandmother's (a restaurant he used to work at). I told him no. Not until we get this straightened out and get him some help. I told him his legs are weak and he knows this. He knows. He just wants to help us out but he knows something is wrong with him. He wants help and I'm the only one he will listen to because we're so close.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grandmamichelf For This Useful Post:
19wingz (08-22-2013), aztekpm (08-22-2013), Mystycl (08-22-2013)